Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new FSD computer vs HW2.0/2.5 with ONLY AP or EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While theoretically possible, I doubt the screen GUI does anything other than leech off the data from what the vision system is seeing

Yes, and pretty obviously only an approximation of it- see all the videos folks post of their tesla displays showing nearby cars jumping around them even when stationary, when clearly things like NoA need to have a bit more confidence in where cars actually are to be changing lanes for you and the like.... not really an issue for the new AP though since it only operates within its own lane.

New AP never needs or cares about any cameras beyond the two forward-facing ones (same for front-collision warning and emergency braking).

Blind spot will care about the rear and side-rear facing one on whichever side your turn signal is pointing at

Last edited:
I specifically waited to order my 3 to ensure I got HW3. Just confirmed (via online chat and inspection of the computer itself) that I got HW2.5. My build date is 5/25. Elon lied (again).
I hate this. There should be no confusion with this. Like there is a option code for hw2 vs hw2.5. There should also be one for hw3. I want to get a second Tesla for my wife (m3) and definitely want hw3.

I specifically waited to order my 3 to ensure I got HW3. Just confirmed (via online chat and inspection of the computer itself) that I got HW2.5. My build date is 5/25. Elon lied (again).

How did you inspect the computer?

I wouldn’t rely on the online chat as definitive in any way.

Even the combined resources of the community is not able to decide on what is a HW3 or HW2.5 car.

Theories like 16.3 firmware one day makes sense and then doesn’t make sense the next day when far too many cars got 16.3 than made sense given their recent HW3 production.

Elon essentially states that HW 3 won’t be of any advantage until he releases FSD features that require it.
So to answer your question (as per Elon),
HW 3 will eventually matter for sure. But having HW 2.5 or 3 will be essentially the same, UNTIL he releases FSD features that HW 2.5 can’t really handle.

He hasn’t released those features yet.
Even when he does. If you have AP only, (with HW 2.5) you won’t need HW 3 to keep things running exactly as intended.
That wording does NOT preclude the software for AP (and especially EAP) from forking into two different streams when HW3 comes out. They indeed may have the same features but that wouldn't mean they necessarily executed to the same competency levels.