Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new media controls are crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I navigate everywhere (yes, even to work) because of the length of my commute, and in other instances because I am one of those directionally challenged people (lol).
I absolutely navigate to work and to home because that way I get better info on traffic conditions, both on the map and from monitoring time remaining estimate. Although there’s one spot on my commute where I have an option to take an alternate route (not one the navigation is showing as an option though), and for reasons I don’t fully understand, the time remaining estimate will decrease several minutes, I pass the alternate route turnoff, and three minutes later the time remaining will almost always increase by several minutes. I think it has to do with being in an HOV lane that the nav software doesn’t recognize as such.

Anyway, I also don’t like the new media card location, but I do like the reworked nav directions - much more Apple Maps-like (which is a big plus in my book) and easier to read with my mildly presbyoptic eyes.

Honestly I never did try it.

I have come up with what I think would be the best way around these media controls. I propose the put the media controls back to where they were. I also think they should move the up high nav instructions to above the car render like when you have something on the screen above nav. Thats a really good spot and it condenses nicely there. The animations don't go that high anyways so its dead space.

Having used the new media controls for a week, I think it's OK. But like others have noted, I can't see the album art and title with my hand at 3 o'clock. If they would swap the location of the control "buttons" and the album art/title, it would be better. It doesn't matter if the view of the "buttons" are blocked by my right hand.

I'm hoping that eventually they will allow the choice of docking the controls at the bottom of the map again, so you can choose which pane to dock the media controls.

+1 OP

At least the album artwork still works in USB mode and that took > 1 year to fix.

I'm not as bothered by the new media controls (despite liking them less), what I still can't understand is why Tesla insists on a one-size-fits-all approach. It's sad because on a car you're stuck, it's not like you can easily/quickly decide to change cars or downgrade back to the old version. If they at least gave the option to maintain the old layout, they could get poll data to understand which users switched and which didn't to measure satisfaction with the changes. I'd even advocate for a forced trial period where the changes stick for 30 days minimum or whatever and only allow you to switch back after you've given the new layout a chance.

Most of the OTA updates I've seen were good when they were supplementary and added functionality. The ones that have come as full replacements have largely been annoying at best and maddening at worst.

Is there a way to have music controls and navigation on screen at the same time (like before the update). I was able to have "recent", "upcoming" in the music player along with the navigation in the same window. the new music card doesn't keep the extra info, only to play or skip tracks. Also it is way to the left making it less convenient for the passenger.
Also did we lose the setting for navigation to show return battery percentage on round trip?

(was merged in here, didn't see this thread)

Last edited: