Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new Model S and X will get a Lithium-ion 12 V battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if it will be possible to get and install this on an older Model S in place of our current lead acid battery? Or will it have special charging and temperature regulation needs that will deem it only for the Plaid models?

Anyone know if it will be possible to get and install this on an older Model S in place of our current lead acid battery? Or will it have special charging and temperature regulation needs that will deem it only for the Plaid models?

They already have drop in 3d party options but I don't think Tesla is doing a simple AGM to Li Ion swap so I don't think it will be an "upgrade" option.

My first 12v lasted 8 months. Replaced under warranty and replacement has lasted nearly 4 years now and counting.

Holy cow!!! Definitely for deep-pocketed racers: >$100/pound of weight reduction.

I imagine that the 2021 Model S Plaid+ might get a lithium-Ion battery similar to the one offered by Porsche.

Porsche Offers Li-ion Starter Battery Option

Porsche will offer a lithium-ion starter battery option for the 911 GT3, 911 GT 3 RS, and Boxster Spyder.
The 12.8V, 18 Ah lithium iron-phosphate pack from Gaia weighs less than 6 kg (13 lb),
the new battery is more than 10 kg or 22 (lb) lighter than a conventional 60 Ah lead battery.

Porsche says, its starting capacity is limited at temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F) due to its specific features.

Porsche’s new lithium-ion battery will be available as an option delivered with the car,
selling at a price in the German market of €1,904 (US$2,900) including 19% value-added tax.

porsche_lightweight-battery.jpg

Reactions: brkaus
As usual, we of northern climates worry about cold weather performance. Tesla has a track record now of winter issues, hope it can be avoided this time. (For anyone wondering about “winter issues” in a fantastic 4wd car, it involves stuff like ‘frozen charge port that can’t be opened’, ‘unusable windshield wipers’, ‘clogged cameras’, ‘severe range degradation’, ‘fogged windows’, etc etc. luckily, many of these issues have been addressed in newer cars, but not all as far as I understand - so here’s for hoping that this is properly winter tested)

Agreed...it just this forum and Tesla hype regarding lithium....just because it’s expensive ...it has to be better mentality...mine lasted 5+ yrs
I went through 3 of the standard Tesla 12v batteries in 4 years. They just didnt last for me. Since I had to pay for the last one I decided to just go lithium and see how it worked out. I was reading its different for all people with the standard battery. I think it depends on where you live.