Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new Model S and X will get a Lithium-ion 12 V battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you are in very hot states such as Arizona, the 12v battery rarely lasts 1 year. I am so happy they are going with a lithium 12v battery.

Brent
Again..this is just you reporting that it last a year....there are millions of car that run lead acid bettering for years without issue..

It’s the Tesla elite owner like you...that have *sugar* load of money that can afford a $400 battery

I remember reading someone's post about Tesla Service Center refused to work on his/her car because the 12V battery was replaced with a 3rd party Li-ion one. Is there any truth to that? Does anyone have first hand experience to verify or dispute this?

I remember reading someone's post about Tesla Service Center refused to work on his/her car because the 12V battery was replaced with a 3rd party Li-ion one. Is there any truth to that? Does anyone have first hand experience to verify or dispute this?

Don't know, but I doubt the Tesla 12V lithium battery will be standard in any way. It might even be integrated with the battery pack somehow.

Well there's 50lbs of the 200-300lb weight reduction on the 2021 S.

It'd be in the ballpark of 25 pounds, but yeah. I swapped the one in my 3 out for a Lithium Ion and that was the difference.

Glad to see Tesla is finally coming around to this no brainer move and now we can get rid of the problems of dying 12v batteries while also improving performance through weight savings.

Which might increase the vampire drain.

I doubt it. I have a 12v lithium battery from MPP and vampire drain isn't an issue. It has full built-in BMS as well.

Don't know, but I doubt the Tesla 12V lithium battery will be standard in any way.
It might even be integrated with the battery pack somehow.
I imagine that the 2021 Model S Plaid+ might get a lithium-Ion battery similar to the one offered by Porsche.

Porsche Offers Li-ion Starter Battery Option

Porsche will offer a lithium-ion starter battery option for the 911 GT3, 911 GT 3 RS, and Boxster Spyder.
The 12.8V, 18 Ah lithium iron-phosphate pack from Gaia weighs less than 6 kg (13 lb),
the new battery is more than 10 kg or 22 (lb) lighter than a conventional 60 Ah lead battery.

Porsche says, its starting capacity is limited at temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F) due to its specific features.

Porsche’s new lithium-ion battery will be available as an option delivered with the car,
selling at a price in the German market of €1,904 (US$2,900) including 19% value-added tax.

porsche_lightweight-battery.jpg

It'd be in the ballpark of 25 pounds, but yeah. I swapped the one in my 3 out for a Lithium Ion and that was the difference.

I have not pulled them out and weighed them but the 12V battery on our S seems to be about 1.5 times the volume of our 3.

4+ years and 115,000 miles in interior California with summer temps well north of 100F and still on my original 12v. “Rarely lasts 1 year” is a significant exaggeration.

Just this week we had the 12V replaced in our S at exactly 18 months since the last and near San Jose we have a much more moderate climate than the desert interior.

I replaced mine at 3 years and 5 years. It has been my number one repair. So - give me Li.
In my area, 3 years is MTBF for ICE cars. Certainly interior CA is worse.
There are many Teslas that burn through them more than every 3 years. Wonder if there is a good pattern like certain years or excessive vampire drain like high temp protection, sentry mode etc.