Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new Models Steering Wheel???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• modelx7.jpg
    modelx7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 698
That ginormous screen (is that 21"?) looks even more like a giant iPhone than the S one does!

Although it "looks" bigger, press reported that it is 17" same as Model S.

On another thread I posted that the screen looks as if can be removed. I wonder if they would consider a removable touchpad for security reasons. It could also function separately as a tablet/iPad.

Personally don't like that idea; I'd feel like I would have to remove and stow it when I was parked to avoid theft.

Personally don't like that idea; I'd feel like I would have to remove and stow it when I was parked to avoid theft.

+1...many car insurance policies don't cover items that are removable.

And that 17" screen would be a bit large and unwieldy for using as a tablet, I'd think.

Personally I really don't like how the touchscreen isn't integrated at all with the dashboard. Remember the scene from "Revenge of the Electric Car" where Bob Lutz is looking at a mockup of the Volt dash with a dashboard display that looks removable? He talks about dust/dirt and cigar ash getting in the cracks. I disagree with Lutz on some things, but here he's dead on...that screen should be integrated!

Just my opinion...

I haven't read mutch about Model X facts yet, but I can see in the piture that the dash also have live view of rear cam + 2 "side mirror" cams - looks awsome

They do look cool, but unfortunately, they're not road legal right now. Apparently they hope that there will be some regulation change before it goes on sale that will allow Tesla to keep them.

Personally I really don't like how the touchscreen isn't integrated at all with the dashboard. Remember the scene from "Revenge of the Electric Car" where Bob Lutz is looking at a mockup of the Volt dash with a dashboard display that looks removable? He talks about dust/dirt and cigar ash getting in the cracks. I disagree with Lutz on some things, but here he's dead on...that screen should be integrated!
Just my opinion...
I recalled that same quote when I saw it... But I like it that way. I think the rectangle floating over the curvy dash works better than the rectangle inset (in Model S) from a stylistic standpoint.
It also reminded me of the way Nissan made the LEAF control console "float" above the dashboard too:
nissan_leaf_control_medium.jpg

(But the LEAF uses a much smaller LCD screen, and bunches of mechanical buttons instead.)

tesla.png

Last edited:
The fact that it has the X ("exit") and back-arrow keys hard-wired suggests that the steering wheel interacts with the center console, at least for menu controls. Possibly augmenting voice control?

What if the back arrows are for adjusting regen?

Maybe the ipod screens can change functions. Hold left podscreen and the right pod changes screen to a regen up/down control.