Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow . . . . . 16 pages -
In sum;
I hate it .... I love it .... I'll get used to it .... I hate it ... I love it ... I'll get used to it .... I hate it .... I love it .... I'll get used to it .... I hate it ... I love it ... I'll get used to it .... I hate it .... I love it .... I'll get used to it .... I hate it ... I love it ... I'll get used to it .... I hate it .... I love it .... I'll get used to it .... I hate it ... I love it ... I'll get used to it .... I hate it .... I love it .... I'll get used to it .... I hate it ... I love it ... I'll get used to it ....

:tongue:

Will a license plate actually even fit in the open space on the front? I'm not so sure with the logo and the styling lip.

Good question. Given all the curvature there, I'm not sure a US plate will fit vertically.

The shorter and wider European plates? No problem. They may have to be bent to go with the side-to-side contours though?!

There's the issue of drilling through it, of course. Maybe, industrial-strength two-way tape is better.

So are the front side louvers and radiators gone on the MX? I only see one radiator and grille in the pics.

Not entirely sure but, there still appears to be a narrow intake on the sides (behind the sensor here):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443624746.025870.jpg

They need to make the front grill a free option...

They need to make the X's front grill (whether have it or not) a free option for buyer... the current no front grill look is either ugly or disturbing looking... just so weird...

Basically it looks like many do like it but many hate it... why not just make it an option? It's just a piece of plastic basically...

I think the height of Model X should be an option, buyers should be able to opt the height of Model S if they don't like higher Model X. Also Falcon Wing Doors should be an option in case someone wants normal doors. The third row should be optional as well in case someone doesn't need it. In fact every difference between Model S and Model X should be optional so buyers have the ability to customize their car exactly the way they want it.

Saleen was first in showing what the Model S would look like without a nose cone. They got a ton of BAD reactions to it. Everybody saying how ugly it was. "Voldemort nose". What baffles me is that given all the negative feedback and criticism, that Tesla chose to go forward with a similar nose on the X!! terrible!!!

View attachment 96113
hehe noticed the same earlier today. The red looks scarily similar.

Well maybe someone can just make vinyl to go up there? Some quick and dirty mocks:

View attachment 96107

View attachment 96108

View attachment 96109

Personally, I don't mind no nose cone, but the design used makes it look like they REMOVED a nose cone vs it being designed for no cone to begin with IMO.

Maybe if they had top-mounted the logo like the Model S alpha and then body colored the front:

View attachment 96111

View attachment 96112

Wholeheartedly agree. When the cars first rolled out, like many, I thought that they had a cover over the nose. It really looks like it was a last minute maneuver and not an original design element. If you follow the hood line and headlight cues, the angle of the front is only to accommodate the nose cone. They just covered the cone. I think if they wanted to do this, the "cone" area should have continued the hoodline and angled out instead of inward. If anyone agrees and can Photoshop a mock-up, it would make more sense. I also like your idea of having the top-mounted logo.

Overall, I liked the nose cone look. I see what they are trying to do to modernize the look, but it looks haphazard and last-minute, rather than it's own design element. It just needs a little further attention - imho.

IMO, the nose cone looked better on the later Mules. I don't care for the look of the front of the production units. Sure.... I will get use to it, but it is a missed opportunity to leverage a consistent design language.

I believe this will be their consistent design vernacular going forward. My expectation is that we'll see a revamped Model S next year with this nose.

The front end doesn't look complete, in my opinion. Too much flat, painted surface with zero detail. The cone'd mules looked better, IMHO. Car's have expressive faces, the X (especially the white one) looks like an EV1 front -- not good for a $130K car. As I said in other threads, I am sure I will get use to it, but I hope the III has a better front end.

CQDg6HtUsAA4MQW.jpg

Wholeheartedly agree. When the cars first rolled out, like many, I thought that they had a cover over the nose. It really looks like it was a last minute maneuver and not an original design element. If you follow the hood line and headlight cues, the angle of the front is only to accommodate the nose cone. They just covered the cone. I think if they wanted to do this, the "cone" area should have continued the hoodline and angled out instead of inward. If anyone agrees and can Photoshop a mock-up, it would make more sense. I also like your idea of having the top-mounted logo.

Overall, I liked the nose cone look. I see what they are trying to do to modernize the look, but it looks haphazard and last-minute, rather than it's own design element. It just needs a little further attention - imho.

I believe this will be their consistent design vernacular going forward. My expectation is that we'll see a revamped Model S next year with this nose.

Yes. To all the nose haters: The black nose cone on the model S is ugly, poorly executed (the hood never aligns to it well and leaves an ugly panel gap, and it apes a lot of other cars that have black plastic front pieces. The consensus knock on the model S design is the nose cone. For them to have kept that nose cone and stated that this is the design concept they are going to go for for many years would have been a shock and a wasted opportunity. The new nose is unique because an ICE can't do it. You will get used to it and then the model S will look ugly. I already see it.

After I did the nose, another thing that stood out to me were the grills, so I darkened those too:

nosewhite-(2)3.jpg

I think it's acceptable on most colors, but the white really needs contrast IMO (even if it looks like an ICE)

Things "As they are" versus "As they ought to be."

"...the best is a matter of standards -- and I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one..."

"...A house can have integrity, just like a person ... and just as seldom..."

"...Every piece of it is there because the house needs it -- and for no other reason ... The ornament was determined by the method of construction, an emphasis of the principle that makes it stand ... Your house is made by its own needs. Those others are made by the need to impress. The determining motive of your house is in the house. The determining motive of the other is in the audience..."

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand