Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New nosecone is great! I thought the prototypes and mules looked terrible, but seeing the final thing is like a different car. Wonderful, clean lines that look like a concept car, or airplane. Looks futuristic/progressive without being like a bad sci-fi movie prop like the i8 or i3.

On first blush, I'm not a fan. However, it does make the front very distinctive and I'm sure it will grow on me as I see it more.

Distinctive is the key. You know right away it's not your ordinary ICE car which can not do this. If you don't like it now, which I do a lot, you will get used to it after a while. Remember Elon and the gang must have looked at it everyday for a while. Dare I even say after a while the "normal" grill you see on ICE SUV's will look so last century.

Love the nose cone. At first, seeing it was kind of jarring. My brain just isn't used to something like that. But seeing it a few times and in other colors it really started to grow on me. It looks futuristic because it isn't trying to imitate a gas car. Just like early gas cars resembled horse carriages, eventually we moved away from that and cars developed their own design language. It's nice seeing Tesla finally moving away from the vestigial grill.

Interestingly enough, I find the Model S nosecone to the be the most attractive on a white car, whereas the Model X looks the best in all the colors but white. I still find them all beautiful tho.

There's actually one interesting parallel in the ICE world: the 8th Generation Honda Civic (2006), which has no prominent upper intake grille. The "jelly bean" front was one of many highly controversial aspects of this vehicle, but buyers got used to it:

280px-2006-2008_Honda_Civic_LX_sedan_--_09-22-2010.jpg

I expect that Model X will take some getting used to, but that ultimately it may set a new norm.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that's easy! Nothing breaks the space in white, but in the other colors, the lighting's reflection breaks the space.

Interesting thought. I hadn't considered that at all. I cannot wait until customers start posting their photos to TMC!

Model X deletes the nose cone.

It stops pretending to be an ICEv. Particularly a Rolls Royce wanna be luxury ICEv.

Even modern ICEv don't need a grill. They get their air from underneath the front bumper assembly.

NO MORE LIES IN DESIGN.

That is the hall mark of good design.

A few of my pics from the event. I'm in the "maybe it will grow on me" camp.
And no, @AmpedRealtor, I didn't see the invisible sensors :tongue:

DSC01322.JPG

DSC01325.JPG

DSC01328.JPG

DSC01327.JPG

DSC01332.JPG

Actually in the last pic of Elon's car I can see a sensor button on the front. The invisible sensors are in the falcon wing doors.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/29/we-drove-teslas-crazy-fast-model-x-suv/#.h14tdb:oLUP

Looks absolutely badass in black.

I can't explain it, but the nose looks awful to me in white, but good in other colors.:confused:
Agree. I think its because nose cone added contrast to white colour making it look cool. So white colour is now a little less cool and all other colour are more cool because nose didnt looked good on them. (My opinion). And yes, black looks rad as its consistent without any breaks.

Love the new nose.
I always thought Model S nose was too bland and generic.

i will agree that the XC90 is better looking.

Seriously????

Don't like it at all.
I prefer old Model X Prototype front> Model S > New Model X
This looks way better:
It also has some character to it and you immediately know it's a Tesla.
Now it looks like an unbranded car (in the front).

I have to disagree. Many people don't know about Tesla; and to the uninitiated, Model S nose cone looks just like many other ICE cars' oval shaped nose.
Model X nose is distinctive, and it looks different even to someone who have not heard about Tesla.

i will agree that the XC90 is better looking.
Seriously????
I also agree the XC90 is better looking. The current X nose is very bland. At least the XC90 has a strong presence, even if it may be over the top.

But this isn't near the top of my list of priorities, even if the Model X looked like a Leaf, I'd buy it if it had the utility I looked for. But with a front licence plate and the right colour, the Model X won't look too bad.

I have a white S but hate the look of the white X. The other colors look fine without a nose cone, I think the shadowing/reflection of the paint helps to define the curves in the area where the nose cone would have been. I don't like the idea of drilling a license plate directly into the bumper but there looks to be no other option with this design.