Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think black is the only viable color choice for the Model X. The other colors (especially white) just looks like something is missing there... Maybe it's because you can still kind of see a hint of a nose-cone shape where the nose-cone would've been.

Nose cone's horrible in my opinion :( Looks okay on the darker colors but, stands out real bad on white, sig red, titanium silver, etc.

Personally, I think horrible is not the word that comes to my mind. Someone else called it "featureless".
Yep, I think it has not enough "character". It just looks a bit bland. Or unfinished. Or sterile. The grill on the prototype looked worse, though.

Only thing that troubles me, I am looking forward to getting a Model 3, but if it carries on with that design language for the front, I am not looking forward to it as much. Perhaps I will get it anyway and just look at it from behind :wink:

Otoh, at least over here, part of that featureless area will be covered by the front licence plate, making it a little more structured. Not that I would ever have thought I could be happy with a licence plate and holder as a design feature...

- - - Updated - - -

The nose on the Model S is old school. The nose on the Model X is new school. Battery electric vehicles do not need to have the old school grills and smiley faces that most cars/suv's have to radiate water cooled engines etc. I think Tesla is taking us into the future with this new nose styling and, for some it may take a while to get used to. Alas the Model X is here, new, styled, falconed, full visioned cockpit, bio hazard filtrated and more. It is the future today, always a little new to grasp. It's great to be shown the future, even better to be participating in it as the future evolves. Cutting edge. Tip of the automotive spear in design and function. It's great to be a part of it. I love the new look, features, functionalities. I look back over my shoulder at all of the competition. BTW, the completion is kinda hard to see, little specs in the distance. Ludicrous mode, don't cha know?! Tesla, moving forward to where we all want to go!

Tech features aside, nope, not everyone wants to go in that direction. And just because it doesn't need an ICE style grille doesn't mean it couldn't benefit from a little more "structure". It just looks unfinished, not futuristic. Or as someone else described, it looks as if the real front was still masked with some body coloured tape. Not impressed at all.

ggr4sFB.jpg

This is the competition, y'all...not exactly sexy.

So is this:

xc90.jpg

Which seems to be very popular. Stylish, yet still futuristic.

Speaking of the fascia, are the headlights LED or Xeon?

As far as the front is concerned, I think none of the grilles, including xc90 and Cayene, would result in Cd of .24. I also think that 'mouth' feature will be provided by the license plate.

Last edited:
All the camouflage and misdirection on Teslas part for the new nose is now aparent. Get used to the new look as it will surely filter down to Model S. Looking back a few weeks I can see it appears the new design came from the Model 3. 60 minutes in Australia did a piece on Teslas design studio and there were several cars under black Lycra. Once of them was the Model 3 clay model and it had a distinctive pointy nose which looks a lot like Model X. Frantz has stated he was not happy with the nose cone and wished he could redesign it. Maybe st the time they didn't think doing away with a "grille" on Model S was good idea to not alienate buyers. Now that they're established they can finally do away with it.

Count me with those who like it, not so much in white as in the darker colours, but I have never liked white on a car. The new nose reminds be of the nose of my Leaf, except nicer. I'd sure like to see more of the inside, especially with regard to cargo functionality. The X is going to replace our Highlander Hybrid, which has a truly awful middle seat in the second row. The X seems like more of a people mover, with comfort for five adults, maybe seven, or put the grandkids in the back.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by the new look. Sleek and angular at the same time. I never liked the nose on the mules.

For those who woul prefer a Volvo, maybe when they come out with an EV. For me, it's not an option to ever buy a gas car again. I'm definitely keeping my X reservation.

I think it cool :cool:. It looks like an electric car and futuristic. The S nose cone was pandering to the ICE cars front grill.

Why would you choose your electric car to look like an ICE?

Now hopefully they can put this front on to the S and remove the ICE grill wannabe.

I think it was imperative that they introduce the smooth nose on their upscale vehicle. If they waited until the 3, the smooth front would be perceived as a cheap design cue. Now that the front is grilless, they are free to make any shape they want to optimize aero.
Does the smaller grill area mean that the X needs less battery and air conditioning cooling?