Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on imgur via reddit. Like it. A lot.

msmxfront.jpeg

**NOTE** this is an edited photo. Don't get too excited... yet.

I may have said this earlier, I'm confused with all of the threads flying around, but any time you can "clean up" a design and minimize the use of many different and conflicting materials/colors, you create a more timeless design. The Model X nose is a timeless design that can carry forward into the future. It's distinctive and uniquely Tesla. It does not mimic the vestigial grille look. It is unabashedly proud of being an EV and not requiring a massive air intake. In my opinion - and I've been a designer most of my life and most of my professional years - the Model X design exudes a certain self-confidence that it doesn't have to look like an ICE vehicle or mimic ICE convention.

I think it's refreshing and beautiful!

+1. At the event I stood for a long time where I could see the test ride vehicles, one after the other, come down the road. I was surprised at first, then intrigued, and then all of a sudden something clicked and I fell in love. Tesla is all about new paradigms. Vehicles that cause us to call into question the old design cues and rationale.

I agree that the Model X front, especially in white, looks unfinished.

When the Model S first came out the design feature that I least liked was the nose cone. However, it did grow on me, especially when I realized that it had two important functions. First it provided access, particularly to the 12v battery. Second it was a portion of the car that was very likely to come in contact with other objects. So having a replaceable plastic nose cone was preferrable to replacing an aluminum front of the car.

So returning to the Model X. What does this "unfinished" nose provide in functionality or aesthetics that warranted eliminating a replaceable nose cone?

Larry

I have noticed a trend here on TMC that all of the new stuff that's unlike the old stuff is a catastrophe of epic proportions, and all involved are incompetent and should be sacked.

I think this is the result of so many people spending so much time thinking about Tesla. My wife looked at all the pictures of the X and thought it looked great. I asked her later about the 'nose' and it didn't jump out enough for her to even remember what it looked like. To most non-tesla people the contrast isn't so extreme or even apparent.

I agree that the Model X front, especially in white, looks unfinished.

When the Model S first came out the design feature that I least liked was the nose cone. However, it did grow on me, especially when I realized that it had two important functions. First it provided access, particularly to the 12v battery. Second it was a portion of the car that was very likely to come in contact with other objects. So having a replaceable plastic nose cone was preferrable to replacing an aluminum front of the car.

So returning to the Model X. What does this "unfinished" nose provide in functionality or aesthetics that warranted eliminating a replaceable nose cone?

Larry

1. Is it good that anyone can pop it off and have access to the 12volt battery? I'd much prefer access to the battery from inside the locked frunk. I take nose cone access as a negative and not a positive.

2. I'll take my chances on accidents. It's unlikely that a frontal accident will only involve the nose cone but if it does, that's why I have insurance. I guess we could put a huge piece of replaceable plastic up front if that was the concern.

I find the aesthetics of the Model S nose cone unappealing but like you it has grown on me. The Model X doesn't need to grow on me. To me, it looked great from the first time I saw it.

I'll try to reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh, but when I watched the live stream I really cringed when I saw the front end. I understand the nosecone is a vestigial tail of sorts, but I'm having a hard time acclimating to the new bumper. In darker colors it seems ok, but to my eyes it looks worst in white which of course is the color I wanted. The first thought that popped into my head was mummy. Expectation is certainly part of it, since I liked the updated nosecone spyshot from a few weeks ago. Now to be shown something drastically different takes getting used to.

The rest of the vehicle seems pretty spectacular.

I prefer it like this: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Maybe changing a little bit the curvature of the smile and customising a little bit more the bottom to make it more unique.

The new nose looks like lazy design, they just removed the bottom part, that's all they really did. The front face should be highly recognisable, distinctive and must look amazing, don't think they accomplished all of that.

What I really like are the new headlights, it's like looking into space.

Looks very good to me. For some reason this nose in white seems to work better with the lower, sleeker profile of Model S.

That's because there's less empty space. If Tesla took that vestigial top part of the nose cone, then the minds of Tesla fans would not be expecting something there, but they left it. So people used to seeing the Model S expect a nosecone.

At this point, how much does it save Tesla to have that part be shared with the Model S? Is any of that even interchangeable with the MS?

Last edited: