Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's safe to assume that the rav4 will have the model S drivetrain?
Since the roadster motor is air cooled, I doubt they will use it. What do you guys think?
The air cooled motor is perfectly fine for typical driving, so I think it is fine in the RAV4. The Model S drivetrain is still under development and I don't think Tesla is ready to show it yet, so I doubt they will use it for the RAV4.

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2010/10/11/daily61.html

Tesla Motors Inc. said in a filing Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it will receive about $60 million from Toyota Motor Corp. as part of collaboration on an electric-vehicle version of Toyota's RAV4.
Palo Alto-based Tesla and Toyota agreed in July that Tesla would develop an electric powertrain system for the RAV4. At that time Toyota purchased $50 million of Tesla's common stock in a private placement.
Tesla will develop the powertrain system including a battery, power electronics module, motor, gearbox and associated software for the RAV4's electric version. The $60 million will be for development services, Tesla said in the SEC filing, and will be paid in various installments.

At first thought it seems like the easiest thing would just be to squeeze in a slightly de-tuned Roadster drive-train in there.
(Already proven, and worked out, right?)
But that would make for a rather high performing Rav4EV, right?
I wonder if they would develop a special cheaper, lower powered motor just for that project?

I think with the SmartED they used Tesla battery pack tech, but a rather unremarkable low performance non-Tesla motor.
(Unlike the Roadster based prototype Tesla showed off first.)
What kind of performance and component costs does Rav4EV end up with?
The V6 version of Rav4 already has a rather powerful engine and class leading acceleration, so I suppose they could try to equal or better that model.

Tesla will develop the powertrain system including a battery, power electronics module, motor, gearbox and associated software for the RAV4's electric version. The $60 million will be for development services, Tesla said in the SEC filing, and will be paid in various installments.

Is this supposed to be for mass production ? How well does a pack with so many cells work for mass production ?

There was a shot of it being put together by a robot in the Model S thread so probably no issue.

Regarding performance, there was an enthusiastic tweet (I think it got posted here) from a Toyota insider about its performance over the gas version.

Maybe we should stop asking "why?" and just enjoy watching it unfold?

Maybe it is because of technology, PR, personal relationships, or some combination?
Hopefully they both benefit and we get better products because of it...

Although... One question I can't help asking myself is "what does Daimler think of all this?"