Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, but my point is I don't believe you need to have any service done by a dealer to still be covered by a warranty. I don't think you even have to prove you changed your oil to still be covered, as long as there is oil in the car.
Yes, we're going round and round on this in the Model S maintenance thread. You are correct in that Tesla or Toyota can't make you pay them for maintenance by voiding your warranty if you do it yourself or use an independent shop. The big question is whether you or an independent shop can actually fulfill the maintenance schedule since you won't have access to Tesla's proprietary hardware and software to interface with the car.

I really don't understand the "no maintenance" mentality that some people have.
The problem is that EVs have been sold with the line that they need less maintenance than ICE cars because they have no motor oil, which ICE cars need changed frequently. Maintenance on my Prius is an oil change and a quick check of a list of things, and the whole process takes an hour or less. Cost is about $22. Eliminate the oil change, and people wonder why the Model S (or the Rav4EV) should need more than a $10 once-over. The Roadster actually takes a lot more maintenance than the Prius. EVs have no motor oil to change, but they do have other things that need checking, cleaning, whatever.

We're partly to blame by promoting the zero-maintenance myth. (Though my Zap Xebra really did need virtually no maintenance, other than the repairs resulting from generally poor design and build quality.)

In the owners manual it specifically recommends against towing, or even bicycle racks at the rear.

Also:

Vehicle Proximity Notification System

A sound is produced while driving to warn pedestrians, people riding
bicycles or other people and vehicles in the surrounding area that
the vehicle is approaching. The pitch of the sound adjusts according
to vehicle speed. When vehicle speed is approximately 16 mph (25
km/h) or more, the warning system turns off.

I really don't understand the "no maintenance" mentality that some people have. Maybe they should all go fly in airplanes that have had no maintenance.
Where have people said they don't want to do maintenance? I am upset because Tesla has this ridiculous attitude that I must come to them for service or else I void my warranty. Not only is this illegal they are charging more for their "low maintenance" car than I've ever spent on my ICE's. Tesla acts like this is some kind of new vehicle when all of the mechanical bits are common. There is nothing new or unique about the suspension, brakes, lights, wipers, etc. I like doing maintenance on my vehicles and Federal Law allows me to do so.

I also expected Tesla to learn from the Roadster and have the EV system do self-diagnostics and be able to tell me when something is weird. In which case I would be happy to bring the car in (for free if under warranty and for cost if out). But it seems like they still have a manual battery maintenance process like they do in the Roadster. This reflects disappointment on my part and not like Tesla broke a promise to me or anything.

I like that Toyota is posting this info. There is interesting stuff in there. The main thing is that I can do all of the inspections myself except for the "Health Check" where they hook it up to the computer to pull codes. I find it interesting that they don't recommend replacing the coolant for 100k miles and even then that's just the heater coolant. I don't see where they say to replace the battery or motor coolant at all, just inspect and adjust the level. I did find the "adjust driver floor mat" check comical :)

I find it interesting that they don't recommend replacing the coolant for 100k miles and even then that's just the heater coolant. I don't see where they say to replace the battery or motor coolant at all, just inspect and adjust the level.

Well, they don't have a recommendation for replacing the transaxle fluid in the Prius either, but laboratory analysis of several Prius group member's Prius (including mine) indicate that at about 40,000 miles there is a fair amount of degradation (2004-2009 models), something like 25%. In the 2001-2003 it's 15,000 miles. So I take Toyota's "forever" recommendations with a very large grain of salt.

the vehicle is approaching...
This rubs me the wrong way, since I dislike noises of all kinds. Has there EVER been an incident with an EV or hybrid due to its quietness? I do approve of back-up beepers, however. The Xebra had one, and I had a switch for it. I turned the beeper on in blind parking spaces, and off otherwise.

This rubs me the wrong way, since I dislike noises of all kinds. Has there EVER been an incident with an EV or hybrid due to its quietness? I do approve of back-up beepers, however. The Xebra had one, and I had a switch for it. I turned the beeper on in blind parking spaces, and off otherwise.

This is one of those "If you have an electric car any incident is because it's electric and quiet. If you don't have an electric car it's in spite of it being noisy". Basically it's FUD to make electric cars seem stupid so real people won't buy them.

Me too, thus the post. I wonder if I can disconnect the noisemaker without causing all kinds of issues?

Me too, thus the post. I wonder if I can disconnect the noisemaker without causing all kinds of issues?
It should be quite easy. That said, the noise maker is simply not noticeable at all from inside the vehicle. I had to literally stick my head out the window to hear it and it only sounds when moving and below 17mph or so (not sure that's the exact number, but it's pretty close)...and trust me, there are few times that you're moving that slowly.

I suppose you might hear it if you have the windows down and you're pulling into your garage in the middle of the night, but it is very very subtle. I was very anti-noise maker too, but I have to say that this is so benign and the potential benefits are great enough that I would leave it on.

Well, they don't have a recommendation for replacing the transaxle fluid in the Prius either, but laboratory analysis of several Prius group member's Prius (including mine) indicate that at about 40,000 miles there is a fair amount of degradation (2004-2009 models), something like 25%. In the 2001-2003 it's 15,000 miles. So I take Toyota's "forever" recommendations with a very large grain of salt.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I would change all my coolant by the 5 year mark. I just find it interesting that they didn't include it and how it relates to the warranty. Since you must follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule in order to receive warrant support. Granted these things are beyond the warranty period, I just found it interesting in the context of the Model S service/warranty thread.

From the day 3 video: EPA rated at 103 miles "when fully charged." Presumably this is with a range mode charge.

Triple digits is good, but if the Leaf can get 73 miles from 24 kWh, you might expect more from the RAV's 42 kWh battery.

GSP

In the owners manual it specifically recommends against towing, or even bicycle racks at the rear.

Also:

Vehicle Proximity Notification System

the vehicle is approaching. The pitch of the sound adjusts according
to vehicle speed. When vehicle speed is approximately 16 mph (25
km/h) or more, the warning system turns off.

You bought the new Rav4 EV?
How is it driving?

Toyota to increase hybrid production, cut back on electrics

Toyota to increase hybrid production, cut back on electrics

Toyota Motor Corp. is doubling down on hybrid vehicles, unveiling plans to launch 21 gas-electric models by 2016, while scaling back its all-electric vehicle program, a top executive said Monday.

Toyota still intends to launch a zero-emission battery-powered RAV4 SUV. But it has sharply curtailed the proposed launch of an electric iQ minicar, the eQ, Takeshi Uchiyamada, Toyota's executive vice president for research and development, told reporters in Japan.

Personally I think that by using competitors metrics Toyota is throwing away first mover advantage. Thanks to Tesla the RAV4 EV has a competitive advantage over competitors in its class and therefore the Volt and Leaf sales numbers are irrelevant.

Speaking of doubling down, Toyota should increase the sales of RAV4 to all states, increase the production volumes, add an option to increase the battery size to about 60 kWh, change the charger port to Tesla's and cut a deal with Tesla to gain access to the Supercharger network.

Larry

Last edited: