Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hijack this thread but I just got a call, earlier today that I have been assigned a RAV4 EV and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I guess I lucked out because this particular dealer is one of the largest volume dealers in hybrids and the allocations are based on hybrid sales. Wahoo. My friend, who had put his name on the wait list at another dealer 3 days before me is number 3 on the wait-list there but the dealer won't tell him how may cars they will get each month.

I will soon be reporting in as a new RAV4 EV owner. I view this car as a Toyota on top and a drive train and battery pack by Tesla.

I take delivery today on a RAV4 EV. I think I lucked out and got a dealer with a small waitlist and a large quota. It was less than a three weeks from the time I put my name on the list. More later.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

If this counts as advertising, please feel free to have it deleted. Just posting as a public service for your friend and others interested in getting a Rav4EV ASAP. Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota in LA is AWESOME. She sells more Prii than anyone and should have a good stock of Rav4 EVs and, according to This Thread has a silver one available right now.

Tell her I sent you, tell her you were referred from that PriusChat thread and you'll get a nice little discount too.
Dianne Whitmire
Fleet Sales Director
Carson Toyota | Scion
1333 E 223rd Street, Carson, CA 90745
in Sunny Southern CA
949 689 0717 cel
310 522 2317 desk line
707 202 3618 eFax
[email protected]

Read more: Dianne's Rav4 EV Inventory posting for fall 2012 | PriusChat

*She is a personal friend and she does send a modest referral gift, but otherwise I have no financial incentive or affilliation

Took a RAV4 EV demo out for an extended drive for a small rental fee from my local Toyota dealer. I own a 2011 LEAF so I was interested in comparing.
Basics: Much more solid, feels heavier, dash controls are confusing but not insurmountable. I still don't know how to turn the radio on and off.
Better view out the back. Side mirrors seem small or maybe just too tapered so that view is restricted.
What I loved about the RAV4: Jumps off the line and has lots of push left above 60 mph. Much more so than the LEAF.
In Sport mode it's about at the edge of what I'd consider safe for that setup. It's just too easy to push it. I'd like a stronger regen option for 1-pedal driving. "B"-mode doesn't provide strong enough regen IMO.
Range seems much better than 100 mi. I charged it up in "extended" mode and went 74 miles, almost all freeway with about 800 ft elevation change r/t. 65-70 mph the whole trip. Battery gauge was above 1/2 full at the end and showed 41 mi remaining. I was not hypermiling by any means.
The not as good:
I didn't have time to do a real wall-to-wheels comparison with the LEAF. But using a familiar route and the dash display mi/kWh reading for the trip, it seems about 20% less efficient This is a crude test but this route delivers 3.9 mi/kWh in the LEAF and 3.1 in the RAV4.
Wind-noise seems worse than LEAF but road noise might be a little better.
Wife seems to prefer LEAF anyway.

Final thoughts: If this had been available when I bought my LEAF I would have bought it even though it's about $15k more. It just seems like a better value.
Lease price per dealer was $409/mo; $3200 down, 36mos/ 12k mi + drive-off fees. I hope Toyota sells/leases all they make. I'll be looking for a used one in 3 years.
I had penciled in the 60kWh Model S. Driving this Tesla drivetrain and ~40kWh battery made me reconsider that a 40kWh Model S might be the way to go for me. I really didn't appreciate how much more I can do with the extra 40-50 miles of range (when I need it). I think it's a 40 or 85 decision now.

I used my 120v EVSE this afternoon and it was warm after a couple of hours charging. Looking at the cord and the the control box (EVSE) I would guess they are designed for 20 amps at 120 volts, is 2.4Kw. My EV Link puts out 30 amps at 240volts which is 7.2Kw I won't be messing with that 120v EVSE but I will get or make up a 30ft 10ga extension cord for it. I also have figured out a way to make the EV Link portable so I can take it with me on a long trip. I will have a 30A 240v plug on it.

Took a RAV4 EV demo out for an extended drive for a small rental fee from my local Toyota dealer. I own a 2011 LEAF so I was interested in comparing.
Basics: Much more solid, feels heavier, dash controls are confusing but not insurmountable. I still don't know how to turn the radio on and off.
Better view out the back. Side mirrors seem small or maybe just too tapered so that view is restricted.
What I loved about the RAV4: Jumps off the line and has lots of push left above 60 mph. Much more so than the LEAF.
In Sport mode it's about at the edge of what I'd consider safe for that setup. It's just too easy to push it. I'd like a stronger regen option for 1-pedal driving. "B"-mode doesn't provide strong enough regen IMO.
Range seems much better than 100 mi. I charged it up in "extended" mode and went 74 miles, almost all freeway with about 800 ft elevation change r/t. 65-70 mph the whole trip. Battery gauge was above 1/2 full at the end and showed 41 mi remaining. I was not hypermiling by any means.
The not as good:
I didn't have time to do a real wall-to-wheels comparison with the LEAF. But using a familiar route and the dash display mi/kWh reading for the trip, it seems about 20% less efficient This is a crude test but this route delivers 3.9 mi/kWh in the LEAF and 3.1 in the RAV4.
Wind-noise seems worse than LEAF but road noise might be a little better.
Wife seems to prefer LEAF anyway.

Final thoughts: If this had been available when I bought my LEAF I would have bought it even though it's about $15k more. It just seems like a better value.
Lease price per dealer was $409/mo; $3200 down, 36mos/ 12k mi + drive-off fees. I hope Toyota sells/leases all they make. I'll be looking for a used one in 3 years.
I had penciled in the 60kWh Model S. Driving this Tesla drivetrain and ~40kWh battery made me reconsider that a 40kWh Model S might be the way to go for me. I really didn't appreciate how much more I can do with the extra 40-50 miles of range (when I need it). I think it's a 40 or 85 decision now.

So for you a RAV4 EV + a Tesla Models S 85 would be the ideal world?

- - - Updated - - -

I used my 120v EVSE this afternoon and it was warm after a couple of hours charging. Looking at the cord and the the control box (EVSE) I would guess they are designed for 20 amps at 120 volts, is 2.4Kw. My EV Link puts out 30 amps at 240volts which is 7.2Kw I won't be messing with that 120v EVSE but I will get or make up a 30ft 10ga extension cord for it. I also have figured out a way to make the EV Link portable so I can take it with me on a long trip. I will have a 30A 240v plug on it.

reading what you do, it seems just plug & play :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Toyota RAV4 EV demonstrates the potential for an electric SUV

Last edited by a moderator:
I verified last night that I was able to charge the Rav 4 at 120V using the supplied portable EVSE from my Generator. http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/specsheets/a-1398.pdf

your portable range extender
Guess it ways less then the engine of the volt! ;-)
You leave it home every day, until you need it! (how is the volt sentence? electric when you can, gas when you need it? here it is : electric, engine when you need it!) :tongue: