Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You had a motor go bad in your RAV?

Yes. Three known motor replacements so far. Mine was a gear box whine that many Rav4 EVs have (except mine was getting real loud), and another was probably an inverter problem with a grinding noise during regen only.

Obviously, these issues would be shared with Model S. One caveat is that the Rav4 had really low serial numbers, so I think the motors were built and shipped to Woodstock, Ontario before the Model S was built in Fremont. My old motor serial number was 331, while the new one might be in the 10,000 range.

Rav 4 evs used as security vehicles at the factory, modded to take roadster plug!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373229969316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373229969316.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,008
Would any new RAV4 EV owner on here like to contribute to this survey that I received from Blink?!

We are looking for the RAV4 EV drivers in our community. If you do not have a RAV4 EV, you can stop reading now.

If you do have a RAV4 EV, Blink wants to learn more about your charging experience. We need your input to ensure that you can continue to have a reliable charging experience.

Please fill out this short form and let us know the year of your RAV4 EV. We promise to only take a few minutes of your time.

Charge On.
Blink

Would any new RAV4 EV owner on here like to contribute to this survey that I received from Blink?!

No thanks!!

“Even though a root cause for the observed phenomenon is yet to be definitively verified, in the interim, on August 9, 2013, the Company commenced the reduction of the maximum power delivered by certain of the EVSEs, which reduction has been shown in limited laboratory test to reduce the temperature rise in the connector plug to acceptable levels” – Ecotality / Blink SEC 8-K disclosure from Monday August 12th, 2013

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

Blinkj1772burntPinA.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinB.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinA.jpg

A friend of mine went into a Toyota dealer in Marin County, CA to check out the RAV4 EV. He had trouble finding one and asked a salesman, who tried to steer him to an ICE RAV4. He said he was interested in the EV version, so they found the one car they had on the lot. But it was clear they didn't want to sell him the EV, stating "Let's just say we won't be ordering any more of these". When pressed for the reason, the salesman said that the top two owner complaints were limited range and reliability issues.

Does this sound right?

Yes that sounds like a sales person's typical response. In reality it has more range than anything else except for a Tesla. The battery is much more reliable than a Leaf in warm climates. There are some unresolved service issues around the communication between the Tesla parts and the Toyota parts.
I love my RAV despite those issues.

Just saw an article today on the RAV4 EV lease deal...

$299 a month or $329 a month for unlimited miles.

Dennis
My Blog (mainly Active E for now and Tesla stuff as it grows...)
Active E driver with 42,500 miles in 18 months. Roadster #78 when they finally complete PDI (missed the new estimate of Saturday August, 24) Now wondering when we're getting this beauty, waiting for new feedback on the stuff they have to "bring up to CPO standards". The positive aspect of this delayed delivery is that my manual sig line is often longer than my actual posts AND gives me more material for my blog, when I officially announce the arrival of our Signature Green Roadster. Oh and a Tesla Model S modified request to October 2013 (moved up from November because of our ongoing CPO delivery experience) delivery in Blue/Tan WITH Sub-zero Package in Southern California... Because COLD is a relative term.

No incentives. No servicing. No warranty repairs or reimbursement for even routine maintenance to dealers out of CA.

Classic compliance car. We shouldn't be surprised if they crushed the lease returns, EV1 style.

No incentives. No servicing. No warranty repairs or reimbursement for even routine maintenance to dealers out of CA.

Classic compliance car. We shouldn't be surprised if they crushed the lease returns, EV1 style.

Like Honda, Toyota did not offer CHAdeMO, even though both Toyota and Honda are founding members.

Honda absolutely will crush the Fit EV, as all the cars are closed end leases.

Like Honda, Toyota did not offer CHAdeMO, even though both Toyota and Honda are founding members.

Honda absolutely will crush the Fit EV, as all the cars are closed end leases.

It's interesting that Ford is selling their Focus Electric in most states now and the leases are standard where you have the option to buy the car at the end. Yet they are doing zero marketing of the Focus Electric. Toyota probably didn't offer ChAdeMO in the eRav4 because Tesla made the drive train.

Toyota probably didn't offer ChAdeMO in the eRav4 because Tesla made the drive train.

Toyota didn't offer CHAdeMO on their "in-house" Scion iQ EV either. Tesla offers a CHAdeMO adaptor now.

Obviously, Toyota doesn't functionally support CHAdeMO. I suspect a big part of that reason is that they don't receive any CARB-ZEV credit for DC quick charging (unlike Tesla, which demonstrated to CARB their 93 second battery swap to get "fast refueling" credit). Toyota is in great shape, selling 507.5 credits of "AT PZEV" last fiscal year ending Sept 30, 2013 and buying ZERO credits.

In addition, Toyota carries a strong CARB credit balance of:

876.084 ZEV = Zero Emission Vehicle

0.000 NEV = Neighborhood Electric Vehicle

122.336 TZEV = Transitional Zero Emission Vehicle

7,479.925 AT PZEV = Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (gotta love the Prius)

205.756 PZEV = Partial Zero Emission Vehicle

Here's a number that actually surprised me; Toyota sells as many cars in California as GM and Ford COMBINED:

Zero Emission Vehicle Credits

Manufacturer Requirement

A vehicle manufacturer’s ZEV requirement is based on a percentage of all passenger cars and light-duty trucks from 0 to 8,500 pounds (lbs.), delivered for sale in California. The table below is the 2012 California vehicle production of large volume and intermediate volume manufacturers.

Large and Intermediate Volume Manufacturer
2011 Vehicles Production Delivered for Sale in California
Manufacturer

Passenger Cars and LDT1 (Light Duty Truck 0-8500 lbs)

BMW - 57,983

Chrysler / Fiat - 118,150

Ford - 143,625

FUJI Heavy Industries/Subaru - 21,184 (exempt from pure ZEV credits)

General Motors - 159,999

Honda - 229,337

Hyundai - 66,272

KIA - 47,695

Land Rover - 7,246 (exempt from pure ZEV credits)

Mazda - 34,111

Mercedes Benz - 57,904

Nissan - 135,021

Toyota - 296,880

Volkswagen - 85,017

TOTAL

Last edited:
In addition, Toyota carries a strong CARB credit balance of:
7,479.925 AT PZEV = Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (gotta love the Prius)
Yeah, Prius liftback and Prius v wagon are AT-PZEV. PiP is enhAT-PZEV. Camry Hybrid is also AT-PZEV although Prius c and Lexus CT are not. I believe no other Lexus and Toyota hybrids are AT-PZEV from glancing thru 2012 thru 2014 MYs at Drive Clean for scores of 9.

I posted a bunch of this in the ZEV credit thread:

Why 2600 cars?

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/cleandoc/clean_2009_my_hev_tps_12-09.pdf

2012 through 2014 Requirements. A manufacturer must meet the total ZEV obligation with ZEVs or ZEV credits generated by such vehicles, excluding NEVs and Type 0 ZEVs, equal to at least 0.79% of its annual sales in credits.

Toyota will build 900,000 cars for California sales in model years 2012-2014, and Toyota will build 2600 pure ZEVs that are over 3750 pounds or more, so:

(2600 total sold * 3 credits per 100 mile range car) / 900,000 Toyota cars sold in California in three years = 0.867%, and they need 0.79%. It looks like the perfect number, with a bit to spare. But that's not completely accurate, because some of these cars are being sold out of California and they either get zero or maybe one credit per car. It may get closer to the 0.79% threshold than Toyota would like. There is a $5000 penalty per credit not earned with a car, plus they would have to buy the credits on the open market.

Zero Emission Vehicle Credits

Why are credit balances in units of grams/mile Non-Methane Organic Gases (g/mile NMOG)?

When credits are earned they are multiplied by the g/mile NMOG fleet average requirement for the appropriate model year. Please note that in the ZEV Regulation g/mi NMOG is used only as index (which decreases over time)—it is the “currency” that credits are stored in and does not represent actual values of g/mi NMOG. The intent of this multiplier was to reward early production of vehicles.

Fleet Average Non-Methane Organic Gas Exhaust Mass Emission
Requirements for Light-duty Vehicle Weight Classes
(50,000 Mile Durability Vehicle Basis)

Model Year - Fleet Average NMOG (grams per mile), All PCs; LDTs
---------- 0-3750 lbs LVW ---- LDTs 3751 lbs. LVW - 8500 lbs. GVW

2010+ ------- 0.035 --------------- 0.043

I will bet that the difference between 0.035 and 0.043 NMOG multiplier between a passenger car and light duty truck over 3750 pounds is yet another reason why Toyota used the Rav4 EV.

I have no idea what balance they may have carried over since 1990. The 1007 Rav4 EVs * 3 = 3021 * 0.043 = 129.0 earned NMOG credits for California fiscal year.

(2600 total Rav4 EVs * 3 credits per 100 mile range car) * 0.043 = 335.4 "NMOG" / CARB-ZEV credits for all three years. In the fiscal year ending Sept 30, 2013, Toyota carried a credit balance of 876.084 NMOG-CARB-ZEV.

Toyota does get credit for the unsold Scion iQ EV cars:

7.4 ZEV Credits for Advanced Technology Demonstration Programs.

In model years 2009 through 2014, ZEVs and Enhanced AT PZEVs, excluding NEVs, placed in a California advanced technology demonstration program for a period of two or more years, may earn ZEV credits even if it is not “delivered for sale” or registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). To earn such credits, the manufacturer must demonstrate to the reasonable satisfaction of the Executive Officer that the vehicles will be regularly used in applications appropriate to evaluate issues related to safety, infrastructure, fuel specifications or public education, and that for 50 percent or more of the first two years of placement the vehicle will be operated in California. Such a vehicle is eligible to receive the same allowances and credits that it would have earned if placed in service. To determine vehicle credit, the model- year designation for a demonstration vehicle shall be consistent with the model-year designation for conventional vehicles placed in the same timeframe. Manufacturers may earn credit for as many as 25 vehicles per model, per ZEV state, per year under this section C.7.4. A manufacturer’s vehicles in excess of the 25-vehicle cap will not be eligible for advanced technology demonstration program credits.

(c) Cap on Use of Credits (for ATDPs).

(1) ZEVs. Credits earned or allocated by ZEVs pursuant to this section C.7.5, not including all credits earned by the vehicle itself, may be used to satisfy up to one-tenth of a manufacturer’s ZEV obligation in any given model year, and may be used to satisfy up to one- tenth of a

Last edited:
Mobius Dash Cam in Rav 4 or Rav 4 EV

For anyone wanting to install a dash cam in their Rav, the Mobius is an easy install.

1. remove the overhead light and console. Pull hard, it will come off with 4 push connectors.

2. remove the 12 pin connector.

RoofConsoleConnector-Plug.jpg

Tap the black wire which is 5V to ground, and on only with ignition. It is used for Mic reference in the phone and voice.

3. I drilled a small hole for a ground in the supports and tied the ground for the cut usb cable (black wire) and the shielding to ground. The black wire from the car goes to Positive (red wire) on the USB, to the camera. (I know counter intuitive)

4. Attach the dash cam to the glass

5. I placed a tie wrap on the cable to the overhead support so it could not be pulled easily from the connections

6. Replace the overhead console.

Done!

The beauty of this is that you do not need a 12 V to 5 V converter! The car supplies 5V already..:smile:

Edit, ....

DONT DO THIS AS I DESCRIBED !..... Run a 12 V line from the cigarette light adapter for 12V and buy the USB converter for $5. This installation ended up messing with the car's computer after a week or so. It reset after disconnecting the install, but a headache. There is lots of room overhead for the converter.

Last edited: