Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota PR release

47365-lo-H8E6294.jpg

47365-lo-H8E6054.jpg

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/toyota/47365/
A total of 35 vehicles will be built for a demonstration and evaluation program through 2011, aiming at market arrival of a fully-engineered vehicle in 2012. The fully-engineered vehicle will have a target range of 100 miles in actual road driving patterns, in a wide range of climates and conditions.
Tesla was responsible for building and supplying the battery, as well as other related parts, that met specific Toyota engineering specifications in performance, quality and durability. Toyota was responsible for development and manufacturing leadership and the seamless integration of the powertrain.
The demonstration vehicle Toyota is currently testing is powered by a lithium metal oxide battery with useable output rated in the mid-30 kwh range.
Curb weight ~3760lbs (literally says ~200lbs more than V6 RAV4, with similar 0-60).

Last edited:
That's pretty cool... a Roadster-type looking PEM under the hood:

47365-hi-H8E6054.jpg

The climate control probably doesn't work in this prototype. Looks like they've plugged off the heater core.

Be sure to check out the B-roll footage. http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/toyota/47365/
Pretty clear they adapted a Roadster drivetrain like they did for the demo Model S and Smart. There is probably a VDS hiding in the arm rest. :smile:

Last edited:
OK, 4WD vs AWD, I wasn't trying to be too technical, just wondering if they would offer 2 driven wheels or 4.

My guess: it would be only two driven wheels. The battery pack might be under body and get in the way of any driveshaft they might otherwise want to use.

I see. Sorry about that then. 4WD would be nice for those of us that live in snowy climates and want an EV. :smile:

Rather disappointing that they aren't even targeting more range than the original 12 years ago. Still no word on AWD or FWD?

That is too bad. :frown: I was really hoping for a 150-200 mile range since Tesla is the one behind the electronics and battery pack in it. Maybe they decided on 100-miles to keep costs down?

Isn't this new battery profile significant to anyone?
Not really sure what you mean by "battery profile". That phrase could refer to a couple things.

At any rate, for this demo it looks they're using two rectangular battery packs attached under the chassis. I suspect they'll have something better integrated in the future.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1123&d=1290117780.jpg

timthumb.php
attachment.php

I suppose one could try to estimate the number of cells contained here.

Tesla-RAV4_3.JPG
RAV4_EV_Tesla_batts.jpg

Last edited:

At any rate, for this demo it looks they're using two rectangular battery packs attached under the chassis. I suspect they'll have something better integrated in the future....

I agree it's probably a quickie mock-up for show but as people point out it's full of Roadster parts but not the battery pack.

I can't imagine putting together an all new shape filled with cells with heating wires and cooling tubes can be an easy task. Would have been a lot easier to pull a MiniE config by putting a Roadster pack in the back seat. Who would have cared for a show car?

I can't imagine putting together an all new shape filled with cells with heating wires and cooling tubes can be an easy task. Would have been a lot easier to pull a MiniE config by putting a Roadster pack in the back seat.

Meh... who's to say those boxes aren't a simple form factor they already had for testing purposes. I see a lot of (what look like) mounting tabs there that are unused. So it's probably not specifically purpose built for this RAV4. Even if it is, much of it looks like anodized aluminum which is pretty easy to bang out on a CNC machine.

Each of those packs appear to be comprised of four sub-packs. These sub-packs might be the same as what's being used for the Model S pack (which appears to have 14). Just a guess.

The Roadster battery pack is a very specific and odd shape. It also weights half a ton. I'm not sure it would have been so easy to toss that in the back seat, compared to what they did here.

Who would have cared for a show car?
You never can tell. Always best to avoid ridicule when you can.

Last edited:
I don't get why the complaints with the range. If this is priced similarly to the Leaf, I think it's better especially with the usable cargo space you get. I think it's impressive.

And why are they complaining that this isn't better than the old RAV4 EV? I don't think the old one is as quick as this is, not to mention the safety tech included in the new one. If they want it to have more range, then their first modification should be to strip it down.

Then again, complaining will either improve things or they (company) might just stop making it.

...it will satisfy most people as a city car.
This is not a city car.

Last edited: