Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new text (SMS) to voice update feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Hi All,

Has this update been rolled out yet? If so does anyone with an MCU1 have it and does it work ok?
I am still on 2019.32.2 (by choice) so if this new function works on my 'old clunker 2017' I will finally give in to the update nag and do it.

Thanks.

So far as can tell, and I track these things pretty closely, the mcu1 firmware with the new 2019.49.50.x features is not yet available.

Insiders tell me that yes, mcu1 will get sms reading functionality, but the firmware simply hasn't been sent to mcu1 cars from Tesla yet.

Insiders tell me that yes, mcu1 will get sms reading functionality, but the firmware simply hasn't been sent to mcu1 cars from Tesla yet.
I tend to believe this, albeit without insider knowledge. I think if Tesla were going to skip out on the feature altogether for MCU1, we would have gotten the update with the rest of the fleet, just missing the feature (as is the norm these days).

Did you try adjusting the volume while the system is reading the texts? I think that's the only way it can be adjusted.
That is the first thing I tried. Just as when the phone is active the volume scroll wheel sets the phone level then when phone is inactive the volume scroll wheel controls the "radio". But not when SMS is text-to-speeching. When SMS is being spoken the volume seems to be at 8-11. Can't really say other than it is deafening and in not being able to adjust I don't get a pop-up telling me what it is set to.