Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new Workplace Charging initiative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reply!

This article says Tesla will install the chargers too. I wonder what that means; will they just have an electrician make the final connection or does this include the work necessary to run 240 lines to the location of the charger?

Tesla Is Sending Out Free Electric Vehicle Chargers

They do not install the chargers ... only a $1,500 installation credit is available:cool:

So, I work at a university with a very large and active Sustainability program that I have collaborated with a number of times. I pitched this program to them this morning and their question back to me was indeed if Tesla covers the install costs or not. It doesn't quite say it clearly ("installation assistance") which I would take to mean that they don't.

We already have 10 or so Clipper Creek chargers on campus that are underutilized at the moment, so unless the install is free, this will still be a hard sell. Anyone heard anything?

So, I work at a university with a very large and active Sustainability program that I have collaborated with a number of times. I pitched this program to them this morning and their question back to me was indeed if Tesla covers the install costs or not. It doesn't quite say it clearly ("installation assistance") which I would take to mean that they don't.

We already have 10 or so Clipper Creek chargers on campus that are underutilized at the moment, so unless the install is free, this will still be a hard sell. Anyone heard anything?

See below ... :cool:

They do not install the chargers ... only a $1,500 installation credit is available:cool:

Why don’t they submit the request to Tesla and see what they offer?

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

My understanding is that the "installation assistance" is up to $1,000 per WC. So it could cover 100% of the cost, or a small fraction of the cost depending on how much work needs to get done. But that seems like it would scale up pretty quickly.

Why don’t they submit the request to Tesla and see what they offer?

That's the best way to go about it. Tesla will come back and ask you for an installation quote from an electrician of your choosing. They'll review that quote an offer to pay a portion of it (or all of it if the price is low enough).

Your best bet is to choose a charging site that is close to electrical infrastructure. If you have a parking garage, chose a location that is as close to the electrical room as possible. This will minimize installation costs.

My employer is about to install four Clipper Creek charging stations in the garage, at my suggestion. It's been in the works for several years, but we're finally making progress and the project should be completed by the end of May. We got one astronomical quote to have the charging stations installed in a central island/median in the garage... I reviewed it and it will be much less expensive (half the price) to install them on the wall adjacent to the electrical room, which is only about 50 feet away from the original site.