TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

The New York Times blows it again

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by artsci, Aug 3, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

May 10, 2012
    Timonium, Maryland
    Today the NY Times had a major story on hybrid and electric cars and why the former were selling at a brisker pace than the latter. It was another piece of dreadful journalism, which seems, I'm sad to say, a dramatically increasing pattern at the Times.

No mention was made of Tesla, not a word. Nor was the new BMW i3 mentioned. Given that Tesla is the major EV success story, with incredibly brisk sales and stock soaring, this kind of oversight, one can only assume, is deliberate. The Broder piece was such an embarrassment to the Times I guess the senior editors have concluded that it's best to pretend Tesla doesn't even exist. That way no one will be reminded of the the paper's Tesla debacle.

On the whole the piece wasn't bad, but what an incredible oversight!
  2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    Most of the time I find it better to pretend the New York Times doesn't even exist. Given their recent track record, I won't have to pretend for long.
  3. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

May 8, 2010
    Boston Suburb
    The Boston Globe owned by the NY Times treats Tesla with silence but I suppose that is better than inaccurate reporting. The Boston Globe's automotive section has never even mentioned Tesla. Hopefully that will change with today's announcement that John Henry owner of the Red Sox and the Liverpool Soccer Club will be purchasing the Globe.
  4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    San Diego
  5. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    #5 purplewalt, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    Very disappointing situation/position from NYT.
    Typically (in the past) they would have already recognized their error, and life moves on.
    Somehow, they are STUCK in their current thinking.
    Too bad, for them.
    They will need to do major turnaround to recover from the Broder article.
    Will they recover (?), realign their position(?), time will tell...

Probably not a lot of Teslas in NYC proper, but certainly in the rest of the outlying areas.

There is a single sentence which mentions Tesla:
    "Tesla, which makes an all-electric car, has had solid sales catering to the highest end of the market."

A Hankering for Hybrids -