Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next big thing in AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for me, all my anxieties of AP2 were gone after my extended test drive. As much as I LOVE AP1, I have no hesitation switching to an X AP2 from my S AP1.

I am convinced the current state AP2 is just as good as AP1, with a few exceptions that shouldn't be a show stopper if you drive with a dose of commonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it is all about expectations. If you only care to have a nice EV drivetrain with a long lasting battery Tesla is great. However if you trust the hype about any of the advanced features or even basic safety features you will be very angry and frustrated like me.

Too bad they couldn't just focus on making the EV drivetrain perfected and more affordable. They would've sold a lot more cars other than selling pipe dreams and making previous enthusiastic customers into enemies.

Here's a good rule of thumb in deciphering the motivations of various posters on this forum. If their join date is before October, 2016 and especially if their message count is above 1,000, you can rest assured they own an AP1 vehicle with very different hardware assisted by Mobileye's 10 years of experience in autonomous driving. Most are rather vocal supporters of everything Elon based upon their mostly positive experience as a Tesla pioneer. Unfortunately, most of what they trumpet as Tesla virtues went down the rat hole with the HW2 vehicles produced on or after the fourth quarter of 2016. None of the HW2 vehicles have any of the Mobileye hardware or software that once upon a time made Tesla an industry leader in autonomous vehicles.

What?? We all know you tend to exaggerate and hate anything Tesla,

I do not hate anything Tesla. I think the drivetrain is an excellent and world changing achievement, for example.

but you are now bitching about lack of wireless charging ?

I answered a very specific question, factually I believe. I corrected OP in that "our" mobile phones would not be supported. Do you disagree with my answer to OP on mobile phone support? Am I not factual?

T_E_S_L_A said:
I hear about the lack of compatibility with our mobile phones.
Well, the Model S/X compability with mobile phones is on the 2009 level. So you get Bluetooth and you get a traditional charging cable. No wireless charging, no Android Auto, no Apple Carplay, no USB-C even.

Wow! I really like Tesla and am very serious / very close to buying a model S...I was thinking some time in Q4. But the more I read the posts in this forum the more I second-guess my thought process. Is it really that bad out there?

The rules are about the same as for reading reviews or forum posts about just about anything on the Internet: It's not as bad as the critics say, and it's not as good as the fanboys make it out to be. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

If you think you're getting a perfect car, from any company, or that this fantastically expensive purchase will fill that emotional void left in your soul by your self-absorbed parents, you will be disappointed. If you think you're getting an excellent if expensive car, among the safest available if not the safest, which is fun to drive, which will likely get better with time in at least a few minor ways, if not major ways, and which represents the beginning of a shift away from fossil fuels, and those things alone are enough to make it worth the money to you, then you're in the right ballpark.

Do not make any assumptions about what AP2 may eventually be capable of. AP2 will probably eventually be at least as good as or better than AP1 in all respects save perhaps rain-sensing wipers. AP2 will probably never be what Elon has promised. There's a vast range of possibilities between AP1 (minus rain-sensing) and FSD of the "why does this thing even have a steering wheel?" variety, and I don't think you should place bets on where in that range it will ultimately land before Tesla gives up on focuses their efforts on newer hardware generations. (I'll place a vague bet though: much closer to the former than the latter.)

Do not make any assumptions about the quality of the service you will receive, or what your maintenance and repair costs might be. Do not make any assumptions about depreciation or resale value. These things all may be fantastic or terrible. Many people have had fantastic experiences. Many have had terrible experiences. Whatever the past and present, the future will be different with respect to these things. Better? I don't know. Model 3 will change everything about how Tesla operates with respect to these things, but for better or worse don't trust me, yourself, or anybody else to know.

Reasonable post by @rnortman mostly, though unfortunately this part retorted to hyperhole:

If you think you're getting a perfect car, from any company, or that this fantastically expensive purchase will fill that emotional void left in your soul by your self-absorbed parents, you will be disappointed. If you think you're getting an excellent if expensive car, among the safest available if not the safest, which is fun to drive, which will likely get better with time in at least a few minor ways, if not major ways, and which represents the beginning of a shift away from fossil fuels, and those things alone are enough to make it worth the money to you, then you're in the right ballpark.

Nobody expects that from Tesla, so it is a huge strawman to begin with. Even as a figure of speech, it tends to suggest those expecting better of Tesla can't simply be pleased - which in reality is not true. The "any company" reference makes it sound like no company could possibly do better than Tesla... At the very least, if this type of exaggeration was needed, I would have liked to see one on the other end of the spectrum as well for balance.

The rest goes on to be fairly reasonable.

Last edited:
I had a small issue on pickup.. so I'd fit into that 50%. So what?
The real question is, are people happy with their car and their purchase. And the MOST important question is what any particular individual actually wants, and whether they will be satisfied.

They did a survey in the UK of Model X deliveries, the figures were roughly 2% could t even drive the car away, and 50% required remedial work. It's improved a bit since, but to say issues aren't normal is not something I agree with.

How is it that we have a car that updates itself over the air with changes, continuously improving itself, yet owners gripe and complain that its not perfect or that the maker doesn't give enough information out before the update happens?? I am impatient as all get out, and if i had AP I would be just as impatient. Criticizing for lack if heads up though? That's a bit too much I feel.

Most manufacturers don't give out details until the unveiling. Think about phones and cars, when do you ever hear actual official information of what they will have, until they announce the entire package? You don't see iPhone announcing what their next phone will have until their "big announcement." Tesla is no different.

Elon announces an idea and timeframe he truly hopes to meet, gets criticized when it doesn't happen as announced. He gives nothing or very general info, he gets criticized. He's giving us a car that is capable of upgrading (to a degree) without having to trade it in; something we see in phone software upgrades now. Yet, that's not good enough because he doesn't give us exact info before it happens?

What's next, owners won't be happy until he develops a future reader and its 100% accurate 100% of the time? Probably not, then unhappiness will come with knowing the future is not what they expect, and he will be expect to change the future before it's even here. :rolleyes:

At the risk of sounding just slightly arrogant, my car is so far superior to any other cars except maybe another version of my car, I test drove the crap out of everything.... mercedes, bmw, porsche, it isn't even funny. I drive my Tesla 100 miles for fun... (meant to be said like Tony Montana... I drive for fon' man!" "Fo fon"

I don't have to run errands... sometimes I hire baby sitters in the off chance my child doesn't want to go fro a ride. AP2 or AP1... or whatever.... it's the best.

Can someone please insert that 80's soundtrack, "cause you're the best.... around! no one is every gonna get me down..."

[QUOTE="rnortman, post: 2310490, member: 64805]

If you think you're getting an excellent if expensive car, among the safest available if not the safest, which is fun to drive, which will likely get better with time in at least a few minor ways, if not major ways, and which represents the beginning of a shift away from fossil fuels, and those things alone are enough to make it worth the money to you, then you're in the right ballpark.

^^^ THIS

I am truly thankful for all the responses on this post...I think I probably learned more on this post than the previous hundred I've read. It seems I connect with many of what you all have stated...the positive and the 'negative'. My feelings toward Tesla are more in line with what rnortman stated above. I will freely admit that I'm not rich or wealthy and that this is a little stretch for me financially. But I look at everything else out there and nothing appeals to me...except Tesla. Aaaaand Buttershrimp's response just kind of topped it off for me as I'm in the middle of typing this response ;) You know what kinda sucks? I still didn't get my test drive confirmed for tomorrow near the National Drive Electric Week Event...despite communicating directly with the Tesla rep. Oh well...maybe all available test drive slots filled up several days/weeks in advance. I still plan on being there and I look forward to talking with other Tesla / EV owners. Maybe Ill be able to take a MS for a spin...so hoping...fingers crossed!:rolleyes:

Reactions: NerdUno
How is it that we have a car that updates itself over the air with changes, continuously improving itself, yet owners gripe and complain that its not perfect or that the maker doesn't give enough information out before the update happens?? I am impatient as all get out, and if i had AP I would be just as impatient. Criticizing for lack if heads up though? That's a bit too much I feel.
Software updates improving things... hmm.. mire like fixing what is wrong than improving.

How many updates have added genuinely new features that you didn't pay for or expect when you bought the car? I'm struggling to think of one. Features like auto high bean should have been on the car from delivery.

How many updates are improving what you have? Quite a few, especially if you bought EAP, but only in areas which are performing way below what you bought.

How many updates are bug fixes? Most of them.

How many updates introduce new bugs? Most of them.

If you took delivery of what you paid for, and didn't have any software updates, would you be missing out on much?

The ability to do software updates primarily means Tesla can deliver unfinished stuff and take your money, then spend a couple of years trying to get it right. The benefit for the owner depends a little on glass half full or half empty.. if you don't mind half completed stuff and constant change over paying for a lesser product that does what it says, then great if you want what you paid for from when you took delivery, it's rubbish. I wonder how many M3 owners are gong to be happy about bugs and half finished code.

Last edited: