Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next big thing in AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy crap batman! I walked away from my post one day and this is all that happened?! lol oh well. Some Great insights from different prospectives. A lot of firm believers and disbelievers here but noting wrong with that. My personal opinion? I believe it's a matter of when and not if AP2.0 will surpass AP 1 by a long shot. Stay positive people

Reactions: redan and bonnie
Most manufacturers don't give out details until the unveiling.

This is actually not true for car manufacturers, who have a long history of revealing their future models and plans months, even years in advance.

Audi still sells the old Audi A8, yet we have known many things about the new Audi A8 for months, even years in some cases. Car facelifts are announced months in advance as well.

And most manufacturers, even iPhone but especially car manufacturers, follow a predictable schedule of e.g. annual change. With Tesla you have no such predictability.

Software updates improving things... hmm.. mire like fixing what is wrong than improving.

How many updates have added genuinely new features that you didn't pay for or expect when you bought the car? I'm struggling to think of one. Features like auto high bean should have been on the car from delivery.

How many updates are improving what you have? Quite a few, especially if you bought EAP, but only in areas which are performing way below what you bought.

How many updates are bug fixes? Most of them.

How many updates introduce new bugs? Most of them.

If you took delivery of what you paid for, and didn't have any software updates, would you be missing out on much?

The ability to do software updates primarily means Tesla can deliver unfinished stuff and take your money, then spend a couple of years trying to get it right. The benefit for the owner depends a little on glass half full or half empty.. if you don't mind half completed stuff and constant change over paying for a lesser product that does what it says, then great if you want what you paid for from when you took delivery, it's rubbish. I wonder how many M3 owners are gong to be happy about bugs and half finished code.

Don't you just love people that disagree with posts like this but can't offer an alternative view.

In my time software updates have:

Broken the heating control resulting in full heat or full cold
Erroneously reported the charge flap needed replacing constantly
Broke the hifi so USB was just white noise on one side
Broke the speed limit display after travelling abroad
Meant AP would brake approaching low bridges
Increasing the AP nags considerably
Mean door mirrors didn't fold
Resulted in radio stations not being saved

To name but a few

The only unexpected beneficial features... hmm... the yellow brick road on AP and summon which in the uk works 1 in 3 times. And the graphics on the screen are now different.

Holy crap batman! I walked away from my post one day and this is all that happened?! lol oh well. Some Great insights from different prospectives. A lot of firm believers and disbelievers here but noting wrong with that. My personal opinion? I believe it's a matter of when and not if AP2.0 will surpass AP 1 by a long shot. Stay positive people

Let's hope you still have that car when it does.

the positive and the 'negative'. My feelings toward Tesla are more in line with what rnortman stated above. I will freely admit that I'm not rich or wealthy and that this is a little stretch for me financially. But I look at everything else out there and nothing appeals to me...except Tesla.

If you are buying based on feeling and you know what your feelings are, there is nothing you have to ask us.

If you are buying based on drivetrain like @buttershrimp there, there probably is no other choice for you at this stage anyway.

Just so you know, though, the negative things are real too, not just 'negative' in quotation marks. But that doesn't mean you should not follow your feelings or enjoy the drivetrain if you want to.

Still, timing wise, I seriously recommend waiting until Q1-Q2/2018. Model 3 ramp-up is bound to bring new things into all models.

Don't you just love people that disagree with posts like this but can't offer an alternative view.

In my time software updates have:

Broken the heating control resulting in full heat or full cold
Erroneously reported the charge flap needed replacing constantly
Broke the hifi so USB was just white noise on one side
Broke the speed limit display after travelling abroad
Meant AP would brake approaching low bridges
Increasing the AP nags considerably
Mean door mirrors didn't fold
Resulted in radio stations not being saved

To name but a few

The only unexpected beneficial features... hmm... the yellow brick road on AP and summon which in the uk works 1 in 3 times. And the graphics on the screen are now different.

Yeah, outside of controversial UI changes and Autopilot features shipping after the hardware, how many positive things Tesla's software updates actually have brought?

During my Moden S ownership 2014-2017 the UI got significantly less useful over time (prettier but features taken away) and really the only new feature I can remember was the parking camera control lines.

During my Model X ownership this year the only changes are AP2 additions and it still is not where it was announced at time of order to get these (December 2016) and more... Things have also gotten worse: the new traffic sign database is wrong much of the time when the old was not.

And let's not forget Tesla neutered all Ludicrous Performance models through software update... Taking away everyday performance to protect against warranty clams (some of that restored now through litigation for P90DL only).

Look, I'm not saying updates can't bring useful changes, especially as long as your car hardware is the same Tesla sells as new (after that it gets quiet real fast), but much of that in reality has either been very superficial or Tesla catching up on stuff they sold before it was ready.

Software updates hold potential for so much mor, but in reality that much more has not been realized. No wonder there are knowledgeable old-timers on TMC will on 7.x because they find it better...

Yet ICE cars are stuck at the problems they rolled out of the manufacturing lane in, with no ability to update, yet alone OTA, but that's better than a car that has the possibility to update and can?

I'm not saying that they have significantly updated OTA items. I'm just saying that we have a car that can fix bugs and issues and upgrade with updates in your garage, an ICE can't. I have had major and minor issues with my ICE cars, even buying new, specially the first year of a new generation, but I was stuck with those for the most part.

The MS is barely 5 years old. We all bought a car that is newer, thus we are more of the testers and bugs are eminent. I think about EV alternatives and none of those companies are focused on trying to improve EV as their main focus of their vehicle line. AP 1, 2, 2.5 its all pretty amazing to have, but its still a newer product and bugs are expected.

If they announce early people will complain "that's all?" Or may complain of realistic time frames of they are given are too far. When other manufacturers announce new products on a scheduled basis, but they abandon the previous model and focus on the new one. Where Tesla I find is looking for ways to update the current models and new, making current owners feel a little less obsolete, which I appreciate. I would appreciate more info of course, but if that means only the new cars will have upgrades/updates from now on, I'd rather not have it.

• Funny
Reactions: JonG
It seems I connect with many of what you all have stated...the positive and the 'negative'. My feelings toward Tesla are more in line with what rnortman stated above. I will freely admit that I'm not rich or wealthy and that this is a little stretch for me financially. But I look at everything else out there and nothing appeals to me...except Tesla.

Now that I've convinced you to buy a Tesla -- let me convince you to buy a Toyota instead. Did you read the next paragraph of my post? This is an expensive purchase and you won't get your money back when you go to sell it. It will lose value -- lots of value. For 25% of the price of a Tesla you can get a perfectly serviceable car from a number of manufacturers that will get you to and from work or whatever -- even if it doesn't "appeal" to you. Buying a Tesla does not make sense financially. It's not an investment, it's an expense. If it's a stretch for you, then this decision may push back the date when you can retire by a year or two (or more, depending on your situation).

That said, if you want to buy one, PM me for a referral code. :)

Wow! I really like Tesla and am very serious / very close to buying a model S...I was thinking some time in Q4. But the more I read the posts in this forum the more I second-guess my thought process. Is it really that bad out there? I hear about how terrible navigation is. I hear about how there's really truly been no meaningful updates in the last few years (aside from facelift). I hear about the lack of compatibility with our mobile phones. I hear about the poor quality of materials used in the cars. I hear about how terrible service is. I hear about empty promises. I hear about cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars less yet are even better equipped and more advanced in some ways. I hear about the severe lack of creature comforts...The list kind of goes on and on. To add salt to my wounds - one of my friends works for a Tesla supplier and says the same thing AmpedRealtor said in his post (hence the reason I copied his post; I however am not trying to single out this particular individual). So...what am I missing here? Why do (seemingly) most of you all have Teslas? Am I (and other potential buyers) making a mistake? Would you buy a Tesla again? Sorry...had to vent. Which apparently this forum is great for that :(
After test driving an S for a day and a night, all these forum complaints became moot. Both my wife and I fell in love with the car, so we ordered the S. I've spoken to a number of Tesla owners over the years and every one of them, with no exceptions, raved about the car. Consumer Reports did a test on infotainment systems and the Tesla got the highest overall rating.

I always look at USNews for their thorough car reviews. The Tesla S was rated best in the large luxury car market...oh wait, you read the forum here and some will tell you it's not 'really' a luxury car. Uh huh.

I'm not saying the car is perfect, but these forums, any forums, contain a large number of people who complain about any product that's under discussion. The larger number of satisfied users are nowhere to be found, they're simply enjoying what they bought.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/luxury-large-cars

The forum loves to conflate various issues.

ICE cars conceptually can have OTA updates. They could even load new powertrain performance firmware that results in increased failures and warranty cost, then load new firmware that removes the performance and then lose/settle in court and load new firmware that returns the performance. ;)

Tesla can update the UI etc with OTA updates AND still finish development / validation of critical safety features before delivery new hardware to cars.

After test driving an S for a day and a night, all these forum complaints became moot. Both my wife and I fell in love with the car, so we ordered the S. I've spoken to a number of Tesla owners over the years and every one of them, with no exceptions, raved about the car. Consumer Reports did a test on infotainment systems and the Tesla got the highest overall rating.

I always look at USNews for their thorough car reviews. The Tesla S was rated best in the large luxury car market...oh wait, you read the forum here and some will tell you it's not 'really' a luxury car. Uh huh.

I'm not saying the car is perfect, but these forums, any forums, contain a large number of people who complain about any product that's under discussion. The larger number of satisfied users are nowhere to be found, they're simply enjoying what they bought.

I wish you guys weren't so dismissive of those of us who've either had a negative experience or otherwise developed a negative view. Especially so if you a very recent Tesla owner and lack the historical perspective.

You are dismissing the fact that most of us were super-exited with Teslas when we started with them.

Below is my first post on this forum three years ago around the time I got my first Tesla. Nowadays I guess people know me from the other end of the spectrum. ;)

"Car market literally down to 2 cars today"

That said, I do think the product itself has merits too - the drivetrain is world-changing, no doubt. I believe Tesla will succeed with Model 3 and has single-handedly coaxed the world from ICE to BEV.

Brilliant. The concerns presented by Tesla owners here aren't representative of Tesla owners, whereas the reviews presented there by Tesla owners are representative of Tesla owners.

The culture of new belief.

If your expectations are high, nothing will ever be good enough. You will always find something to complain about.

At the same time, most are out enjoying their all electric vehicles. They are having a fantastic time, and learning about how to get the best experience possible.

Like most tech products, they are a work in progress. Some owners even complain that the cars are improving so fast that they lament that their own cars do not have all the new improvements, only those that come free and over the air to incrementally make their driving experiences better.

If you concentrate on the good parts of the vehicles, you will have many happy days. If you focus on the items that fall short of your expectations, you will spend your thoughts in disappointment.

Two people can be driving the same vehicle. One will be happy, the other unhappy. Much of that difference begins between the ears of the individual.

Forum post of most all products are filled with people complaining about one disappointment or other with their product that they feel should be better than it is in many respects.

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks
Brilliant. The concerns presented by Tesla owners here aren't representative of Tesla owners, whereas the reviews presented there by Tesla owners are representative of Tesla owners.

The culture of new belief.

Negative reviews and concerns are not accurate, significant or representative of Tesla, Tesla owners or Tesla cars.

For some it is that simple.

Nothing we say can ever change that. Some will feel over time that things aren't as peachy, others will not.

C'est la vie.

He was keynote at UVWVA AI robotics conference last weekend and mentioned FSD in a Q&A toward the 46 minute mark of the video: Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
That link seems to be a song, Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up :). Tried to search it up with no luck. Got the correct link? I'd really like to see that Elon interview.

Negative reviews and concerns are not accurate, significant or representative of Tesla, Tesla owners or Tesla cars.

For some it is that simple.

Nothing we say can ever change that. Some will feel over time that things aren't as peachy, others will not.

C'est la vie.
Where did I say that? Oh right, I didn't. I'm not dismissing those that have had bad experiences, that can occur with any product, any brand, but judging from surveys of a much larger universe of Tesla owners, owner satisfaction is exceedingly high. To me that is more indicative of the odds of owner satisfaction to the newly indoctrinated. ;)

Could I become as disgruntled as some here? Of course, but I'd say the odds are against it.

Complain on, don't let me stop you. :)

Reactions: EinSV