Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next electric sports car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where will the next electric sports car come from?

A lot of us assumed a new generation of Tesla Roadster, on a new platform (perhaps derived from the Model 3) would be it. And it still could happen. However. . . That seems to have been pushed onto the back burner for completely understandable business-and-marketing reasons. It's not something Tesla need in order to advance and grow their business now.

There are some super-exotic, hand-built sports cars for the super rich. . . like the Rimac Concept One or the LIghtning GT. There are a few shops doing custom conversions of gas cars, like the electric Ferrari or this Mustang. However, these are not realistic options for most of us. I mean, the Tesla Roadster itself was a stretch for many of us, and beyond the reach of many others. Something even more exotic and costly isn't the answer I'm looking for here.

So what's it going to be? Where is it going to come from? I've been watching for any company to announce another electric sports car -- pure BEV, not any sort of hybrid, and not a mere "concept car" that'll never actually be produced. Have I missed any? Anybody care to speculate about which car maker will go there?

Alta? SM or MX? I had (still have I suppose) a deposit on a Mission R. Need something w/ a little more power than a Zero for the race track. But with my son starting to ride dirt I'm looking at a Zero or Alta for that.

But to the OP's question... Personally I think the Model 3 will be my (the?) next sports car. Ok, sports sedan, but it will outperform our Roadsters in every measure and I'll be able to use it to take my kids to school. I guess it depends on what you call a "sports car". I don't expect there to be a non-exotic electric 2-seater for awhile. The Porsche Mission E could be an option although that's a sedan too. I look forward to the days when we have the same number of models that are out there today but electric. Miata EV anyone?

I would guess with their cash crunch Tesla has halted any new product development that isn't Model 3. Franz's team may be doodling or maybe sculpting clay but it'll be over a Model 3 drivetrain.

I've been watching for any company to announce another electric sports car -- pure BEV, not any sort of hybrid, and not a mere "concept car" that'll never actually be produced. Have I missed any? Anybody care to speculate about which car maker will go there?
Well, there is this company... SP:01

But seriously (Detroit Electric seems so far behind schedule who knows when they will actually sell something), I don't see any of the other car companies making a "pure" 2-seater sports car any time soon. It's a niche market that I think doesn't interest them. Which is really a shame because as we know, a properly designed EV is perfect for a 2-seat sports car.

And I don't see the Model 3 platform as being suitable for a 2-seater sports car. The chassis is too big.

My bet is that one of the being-left-behind manufacturers will make one, in an attempt to make a splash and get into the game. As a high price / low volume car they won't be expected to sell many, so it's kind of safe from a shareholder perspective. They would probably partner with someone like LG or even Tesla for the drive train to get something to market while they contemplate what they want (or can) do next.

Besides Mazda (Meeeata?), there's Honda (NSeX?), Jaguar (eE-type - that would have one awesome Frunk), or even Subaru (BRZee). I wonder, given the history with the Tesla Roadster, would Lotus be a candidate? We've discussed the Italians and Germans... What are the French up to?

My bet is that one of the being-left-behind manufacturers will make one, in an attempt to make a splash and get into the game.

Which is, of course, the same role that the Roadster filled for Tesla.

I wonder, given the history with the Tesla Roadster, would Lotus be a candidate?

I've got the feeling that anybody working at Lotus who saw much potential in EVs or held much enthusiasm for them, was already hired away by Tesla, or Fisker, or others.

The Corvette is ~177" and the Model 3 is ~184." Probably just out of the range of a 2 seater, but might make a nice 2+2. I'd love a 4 seater convertible based on the Model 3 platform that would compete with the BMW 4 series and the Audi S5 convertibles.

It would be fantastic if Fiat would make an electric version of their new 124 Spider. And not just a few thousand compliance cars in California like the 500e.
The 124 is a Miata with a Fiat motor and sheet metal. So... ok! :)
And I don't see the Model 3 platform as being suitable for a 2-seater sports car. The chassis is too big.
Depends on your definition of a sports car. As Tony alluded to, a Corvette has a 106" wheelbase. IIRC Model 3 is planned for 113"? Not too far off.

Depends on your definition of a sports car. As Tony alluded to, a Corvette has a 106" wheelbase. IIRC Model 3 is planned for 113"? Not too far off.
I'm just trying to envision all that is in a M3, squished into a sports car format. I just can't see it. It makes me appreciate more what Tesla did in creating the Roadster. I wonder how the volume of the M3's battery compares to the Roadster's? The higher CoG and rear weight bias makes the Roadster's battery format less than ideal, but they did manage to cram 57kwh into a car with a 92.6 inch wheelbase.

Perhaps as a compromise they could modify the "skateboard" format slightly, with a partial second layer in the back, on a shorter and narrower base?

I'm just trying to envision all that is in a M3, squished into a sports car format. I just can't see it. It makes me appreciate more what Tesla did in creating the Roadster. I wonder how the volume of the M3's battery compares to the Roadster's? The higher CoG and rear weight bias makes the Roadster's battery format less than ideal, but they did manage to cram 57kwh into a car with a 92.6 inch wheelbase.

Perhaps as a compromise they could modify the "skateboard" format slightly, with a partial second layer in the back, on a shorter and narrower base?
Well, they keep increasing storage in MS/X without changing the battery box so they must be using higher capacity cells. That would allow them to do a shorter wheelbase M3 with like 85kWh (fewer cells) for the sports car. But with fewer cells they get lower performance....

I like the idea of some company trying to make a splash will build one. What I'd really like to see would be something like a Lotus 7 electric, essentially a 4 wheel motorcycle.

On a related point, there'd have to be some serious motor cooling system to have a real sports car that could perform reasonably on a track.

Well, they keep increasing storage in MS/X without changing the battery box so they must be using higher capacity cells. That would allow them to do a shorter wheelbase M3 with like 85kWh (fewer cells) for the sports car. But with fewer cells they get lower performance....
Besides the higher capacity cells, I recall the breakthrough that created the 100kwh pack for the MS/X was a tighter arrangement of the cells in the pack. But there are limits on what one can do in this regard, hence my thought about going vertical for part of the pack.

What I'm thinking would be the easiest for Tesla to do is to make a 2-door version of the M3/MY, by folding the last, say, quarter of the pack over on top of itself. It'd be under the rear seat at that point, and probably not too much in the way. Basically make an Acura Integra out of a Honda Accord. Sporty, if not Sports car, to keep a toe in that market for relatively low investment. I got my Integra GS-R after our second child was born, out of a need for that back seat. Had to give up my Datsun 240Z as too impractical for the family, but needed something sporty. The Integra was the compromise. Kids are on their own now, so replaced the Integra with a Tesla Roadster. It would have been perfect if a 2-door sporty Tesla had existed 20 years ago, instead of the Integra.

And, yes, I know that any Tesla is going to be more sporty than the Integra in terms of performance. But there is still something about size and style that defines the category.

Well, there is this company... SP:01

But seriously (Detroit Electric seems so far behind schedule who knows when they will actually sell something), I don't see any of the other car companies making a "pure" 2-seater sports car any time soon. It's a niche market that I think doesn't interest them. Which is really a shame because as we know, a properly designed EV is perfect for a 2-seat sports car.

I sometimes drive past their office on the way home from work to see if there's any activity, and they've almost always all gone home by the time I get there. They do have a car in the lobby which looks very nice, and it generally all looks very sleek there. But also very quiet. Would't bet on this.
My company used to do some engineering for them before I joined, but they seem to have dropped off the radar.