Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The not "Ice Hockey", but simply Hockey Thread!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you follow hockey? We've got two of your fellow countrymen on our hockey team here: the Sedin twins (great players and genuinely good people). They will be playing for your country next month in Sochi but you won't find me rooting for them at that time. Go CANADA!
I used to follow hockey. That was some time ago though. For some reason things like politics interest me more these days. :wink: But yeah, I’ve also read good things about the Sedin brothers.

I ‘made you’ this thread though. :rolleyes:

Maybe there are more here on TMC that are as passionate about hockey as you seem to be. Oh, and GO SWEDEN! :smile:

First of all, it's simply called 'hockey'. Hockey of any other kind is described via the surface it's played on such as 'field' hockey, or 'pond' hockey, or 'street' hockey. Assume it's hockey on ice (rink) unless otherwise specified. Calling it 'ice' hockey makes every Canadian and every true fan of the sport - in no particular order - cringe, roll their eyes repeatedly, and curse.

The World Jr. tournament was as usual highly entertaining with significant disappointment in the favored US team, the Canadian team and the Russian team. You'd think after all this time the US and Canadian team selectors would understand that International Hockey is an entirely different animal than the CHL or USHL, and yet they field teams without the right mix of speed, talent and skill for the larger ice surface and softer body play.

Already there is much rumbling in Canada over the selection of the Canadian Olympic Hockey Team. I, myself, am annoyed.

SwedishAdvocate; I watched Gabriel Landeskog develop in Jr. hockey in Canada. Terrific player, smart, dedicated to the game, and really well liked by his teammates and the community. He spoke better English than many of his English teammates. :) He was the best conditioned player during the NHL fitness tests and I was annoyed on his behalf that he was chosen second in the draft, instead of first, as I thought he should have been. His Calder Trophy was well deserved.

Like I hinted to in the OP I’m far from an expert. It seems I’m in somewhat good company though:

Ice hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:wink:

But of course, If any mod feels like it, they have my ‘blessing’ to rename this thread (and change the accompanying “Ice hockey”-tag) :smile:

In any country where there's a 'season of snow', there's no excuse for calling it ice hockey. If you're from Jamaica, I'm totally excusing you, otherwise...not so much, especially when in your home country of Sweden you have a fine hockey program that regularly spits out NHL and International caliber players. :smile:

This mod is a Minnesota girl & as such, found it necessary to rename the thread to accurately reflect the name of the sport. While other forms of hockey might need to specify 'field' or 'mud' or 'off-road', that played on the ice is simply 'hockey'.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record I support 1) the Blackhawks, and 2) any team playing the Red Wings.

And for the record I support... the Blackhawks...

Bonnie, I hate you... lol... your team has broke my heart so many times and with BC boys to boot, while I have to cheer for team Sweden!

My team came into the league when I was 5 years old and they still haven't won a cup. Krugerrand's California teams, Ducks and Kings have both won and no one really even cares about hockey down there. Our city would go nuts if we won. I feel like a glutton for punishment being a Canucks fan. I keep trying to swear off it, but they draw me back in, only to once again disappoint me.

Anyway, it's nice to have this thread for the upcoming Olympics. Thanks SwedishAdvocate and I forgive you for calling it ice hockey, although in Canada I thinks that's the only crime that's punishable by death.

This mod is a Minnesota girl & as such, found it necessary to rename the thread to accurately reflect the name of the sport. While other forms of hockey might need to specify 'field' or 'mud' or 'off-road', that played on the ice is simply 'hockey'.

Thank goodness for small favors!

And for the record I support 1) the Blackhawks, and 2) any team playing the Red Wings.

I'm perfectly okay with 1) because they are an original six team, but more importantly you're not supporting The Wild like one of my Minnesota girlfriends (the reason why she's not my BFF - like really, The Wild?!), and 2) because I'm a Leaf fan no matter how horrid they get. BTW, great New Year's Day outdoor game, eh? :biggrin: Gosh, I sure do miss the hockey of the 70's.

1160227.jpg

lol

Krugerrand's California teams, Ducks and Kings have both won and no one really even cares about hockey down there.

1) Don't forget about the Sharks
2) And far more importantly, I don't cheer for any team where there isn't a 'snow season'. Seriously, it should be against the law to have a hockey team where it doesn't snow for at least 3 months of the year and people don't know what a toque is.
3) Yeah, um...Leaf fan

- - - Updated - - -

Heja Sverige!! Our rooster for the Olympics this year looks real solid, only that one dude from Elitserien, or should i say SHL now, that is questionable in my opinion. Cant wait for it all to start and to kick some Canadian and American ass!

I'm sure your 'rooster' will do well, regardless, but Olympic hockey is for people, not poultry. Just sayin..

Not cool, too early, still having nightmares about Hägg!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure your 'rooster' will do well, regardless, but Olympic hockey is for people, not poultry. Just sayin..

hahahah thats embarassing.... Ill leave it tho so we can all laugh together at my poor spelling and then when Sweden wins the Gold we can all cheer togeter :)

(Being from the UK hockey is field hockey, and usually a girls' sport. But then the UK men won Olympic Gold and hockey meant men's and women's hockdy was for women. But si ce I don't like hockey ice hockey became hockey to me.)

I actually watched more NHL in the UK. Might watch some Olympic hockey, I prefer it to the NHL (more space, less fighting).

BTW, great New Year's Day outdoor game, eh? :biggrin: Gosh, I sure do miss the hockey of the 70's.

My youth was spent skating on outdoor rinks cleared on the local river, where getting checked against the boards after a bit of Peppermint Schnapps was also known as *flirting*, my bf my junior year was captain of the state champion hockey team (shout out to Scotty), and to this day I'm more comfortable on hockey skates than figure skates. But I can switch it up.

I sure do miss the hockey of the 70s, too.

My youth was spent skating on outdoor rinks cleared on the local river, where getting checked against the boards after a bit of Peppermint Schnapps was also known as *flirting*, my bf my junior year was captain of the state champion hockey team (shout out to Scotty), and to this day I'm more comfortable on hockey skates than figure skates. But I can switch it up.

I sure do miss the hockey of the 70s, too.

LOL! Too funny. But what I want to know is: did Scotty still have all his teeth at that time?

Okay, time to revive this thread. Sorry (but not really) to all my American friends but this is our game. What an unbelievable gold medal game that was yesterday in the women's final -- and a text book game played by the men today. Now I have to get up at 4:00am tomorrow to watch the final against Sweden. Can't wait!!!