Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The not "Ice Hockey", but simply Hockey Thread!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But yeah, ’interesting’ that Canada doesn’t object to play the game with Canadian referees…

No power play goals and officiating was not an issue. I agree with Don Cherry that Canadian refs are bad for Canada since they will bend over backwards to make sure they are not bias, which works against us. But we're fair and we do have best, and most experienced refs in the world, so it makes sense to use ours. We are also, without question, the hockey powerhouse of the world, in both men's and women's. I just wish my home team, the Canucks, would build our team around more Canadians than Swedes, like Boston and Chicago that both beat us out in the playoffs, with BC boys from our own back yard. Watching Sweden play Canada today was watching like Chicago (Canada) play the Canucks (Sweden).

You don’t think that’s beside the point?

If your complaining about the refs, and the refs didn't affect the outcome of the game, then it is the point. Also, I was concerned about Canadian refs too, but for the opposite reason. We are such a damn fair and polite people, that we would never even think our own refs would do anything unfair to help us. We put ourselves in their place and know we'd do everything to not be bias -- and that might hurt us -- especially on close calls. But it all comes down to choosing refs from a country that plays hockey at its highest level, with the best players from all over the world, and which is not subject to corruption, and that's only Canada and the US. There was a US ref also, but most refs, and the best ones, are Canadian. That's a fact. It's not even an issue when it comes to a Stanley Cup final between a "Canadian" team and a "US" team, and it shouldn't be at the Olympics either.

Being from Pittsburgh and with strong Canadian ties myself, it was nice to see Toews, Crosby and Kunitz score on King Henrik to bring home the Gold. Team Canada played incredibly well together, in all of their games. But it was very sad to see Sweden have to play for the gold without Zetterberg, Franzen and Backstrom. Canada coach Babcock knows better than anyone how strong those guys are. Probably would have been a much more interesting game, to say the least!

I thought it was a great game, eh! Woo hoo! Not as exciting as an overtime goal like the womens playoff, but fun nonetheless! Now I'm a bit sleepy though - 4:00am was just too early, but i did get up at 5:30am to watch the 3rd.

Luongo and Sedin can compare medals when they come home.....

If your complaining about the refs, and the refs didn't affect the outcome of the game, then it is the point. Also, I was concerned about Canadian refs too, but for the opposite reason. We are such a damn fair and polite people, that we would never even think our own refs would do anything unfair to help us. We put ourselves in their place and know we'd do everything to not be bias -- and that might hurt us -- especially on close calls. But it all comes down to choosing refs from a country that plays hockey at its highest level, with the best players from all over the world, and which is not subject to corruption, and that's only Canada and the US. There was a US ref also, but most refs, and the best ones, are Canadian. That's a fact. It's not even an issue when it comes to a Stanley Cup final between a "Canadian" team and a "US" team, and it shouldn't be at the Olympics either.

Look. In all honesty I really couldn’t care less about a glorified little game involving some rubber pulley. :wink:

But for the arguments sake. :rolleyes:

Sure. From what I understand the Canadian refs didn’t affect the outcome of this game. But imagine instead if this game would have been dead even from the start…

When Peter Forsberg found out about the all Canadian ref set-up, do you know what he said?

Quote: “What a f-ing joke!”

And when it comes to Hockey I do kind of wonder it there's anyone on this forum that can match his merits…

Note: The following links to a Swedish tabloid newspaper. Swedes in general do not get particularly upset by language that in certain other parts of the world [wink, wink] may be considered “explicit”. A google translate of the following may therefore result in various explicit words…

Source (in Swedish): Peter Forsberg: "Vilket [explicit] skämt!"￾ | Wennerholm | Krönikörer | Sportbladet | Aftonbladet

You don’t think that’s beside the point?

Uh...no. They could have had refs from Jamaica (pick any country where hockey is not a sport generally played) and the results would have been the same. As in the nationality of the refs was a 'non-issue', 'irrelevant', 'unimportant' etc., etc., etc...

There's nothing worse than people being poor sports based on irrelevancy, never mind that you're suggesting that Canadian refs can't be impartial and just ref the game in front of them. You don't think that it's never happened that the 'other team' has had refs from their own nation in gold metal games before?

Uh...no. They could have had refs from Jamaica (pick any country where hockey is not a sport generally played) and the results would have been the same. As in the nationality of the refs was a 'non-issue', 'irrelevant', 'unimportant' etc., etc., etc...

There's nothing worse than people being poor sports based on irrelevancy, never mind that you're suggesting that Canadian refs can't be impartial and just ref the game in front of them. You don't think that it's never happened that the 'other team' has had refs from their own nation in gold metal games before?
See post #31 above. It's not me who is saying it. It's Peter Forsberg...

Unless there is a sense that partiality exists, I prefer the idea of picking the best refs because the Olympics is about beig the best and it would just suck for a top ref to have a low chance of refereeing an Olympic Final because of his nationality,

A biased Swedish ref would have had trouble affecting the result.