Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of Plug-In Electric Vehicles in Sarasota County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Here's a piece of trivia for you...The number of Plug-In Electric Vehicles in Sarasota County, as of January, 31, 2013.

Plugin Vehicles in Sarasota County.jpg

There's a lot more Karmas than I expected.

Larry

Here are the registered Plug-In Vehicles in Sarasota County as of March 31, 2014. Source is the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles.

PEVs in Sarasota March 31 2014.jpg

So in 13 months the percent increases are:

Total Sarasota: 112%

Model S: 290%
Volt: 75%
Leaf: 52%

Larry

How does the state figure where the car is registered? I know the county tax collector is also the tag office. However, when I got my Tesla from the Orlando Service center, the "sunshine state" plate came from Tesla (via FedEx from California). The plate was purchased by the service center in south Florida either in Dade or Broward county. I live in Volusia county. So my question is how and when do they pick up my actual county were the car is located. I sounds simple based on my address except for quite a while I had a plate on a car that I bought in Orange county that had a Orange county plate on it until I renewed the registration and then got a Volusia county plate.

How does the state figure where the car is registered? I know the county tax collector is also the tag office. However, when I got my Tesla from the Orlando Service center, the "sunshine state" plate came from Tesla (via FedEx from California). The plate was purchased by the service center in south Florida either in Dade or Broward county. I live in Volusia county. So my question is how and when do they pick up my actual county were the car is located. I sounds simple based on my address except for quite a while I had a plate on a car that I bought in Orange county that had a Orange county plate on it until I renewed the registration and then got a Volusia county plate.

For conventional dealerships I'm guessing that initially the registration may be with the dealership's county and then is transferred to the owners' county when the owner registers the car in his/her county. With Tesla it is quite possible that the car is initially registered in California and transferred to the owners' county when the owner registers the Tesla. As I said, this is merely speculation.

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature.

Larry