Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems extreme if true. 2022 MYP is currently a $70K vehicle.. and to be worth only $44K after 8,000 miles driving in the same year is depressing. Granted I would love to still trade my 2021 MYSR for something like a 2022 MYP.. but makes me scared to run the value of my vehicle with CarMax. Im guessing it's only worth about $30-35K.. if $44K is the offer for the MYP that's a entire year newer.
What is the mileage and options on your MYP? Is it a 22? Carmax is probably a good guage on the direction we are heading. They have been around for a while and also wholesale vehicles.
2022 MYP. Tow package. Gray exterior. Black interior. 8K miles. Only ever charged to 80%. Garaged every night. Never smoked in. Exterior in brand new condition with paint protection film Xpel applied on front through A pillar. Interior also mint. No scratches on screen. Vinyl in perfect condition. The only issue was curbed wheel that I’ve had repaired to look brand new which I posted somewhere else on these boards. No service light indicator stuff upon startup. My model had the all season tires. The newer amd chip. The startup battery that matches life of the lithium ion batteries. No major panel gap issues.

Reactions: Daekwan
There’s a massive imbalance between supply and demand of Tesla cars right now. As has been the case the last 10 years, prices of Tesla cars do not follow historical depreciation rules but instead are determined by supply and demand. Up to 3 months ago, Tesla did not produce vehicles fast enough to meet rising demand. Today, Tesla manufacturing is outstripping demand. The days of slow depreciation on Tesla cars are over. The days of rapid depreciation due to oversupply of new AND used vehicles may have just begun. If you’re not in a rush for a Tesla, hang on to your money for a few months and you’ll be able to get a massively discounted, low-mileage 2021-2022 vehicle once the dealerships start writing off their used Tesla inventory at a loss. The loss is gonna be huge.
Great points. End of the year is usually when business look to take their losses.

I'm going to be looking to pickup something for our daughter probably around that time.

inshallah
Same here I’ve owned a 2018 F83, that car was amazing ans fun car , you can stare at it all day. Now the new Snaggletooth front end is so hideous and lost a BMW fan. I was hoping the IX would be affordable for the average consumer, but it’s not ans way overpriced for more than it is. $80k EV so Fugly, you have to hide your face from people seeing you drive it.

Reactions: z335is and Richbot
2022 MYP. Tow package. Gray exterior. Black interior. 8K miles. Only ever charged to 80%. Garaged every night. Never smoked in. Exterior in brand new condition with paint protection film Xpel applied on front through A pillar. Interior also mint. No scratches on screen. Vinyl in perfect condition. The only issue was curbed wheel that I’ve had repaired to look brand new which I posted somewhere else on these boards. No service light indicator stuff upon startup. My model had the all season tires. The newer amd chip. The startup battery that matches life of the lithium ion batteries. No major panel gap issues.
Sounds just like mine minus the tow package and I have about 3,000 extra miles. Curbed wheel is a non issue. Yeah it's upsetting to see this but it's only a loss if you sell it.

I still think we could see some recovery of value if we have a significant spike in gas prices. I don't think we will ever see what we saw 4-7 months ago though.

Reactions: Daekwan
There is a disconnect between trade in values and what dealers are actually selling the vehicles for. You won’t find anything near the trade in values you’ve seen on TMC.

Yeah, crappy trade in value just means they don't want MORE MYLR's on the lot right now. It does not represent what you can buy one for.

Here's Carguru's price trend on a 2021 Model Y for the last 2 years - as you can see it spiked up to absurd levels and has now returned to "rational" which is in the $50k's for buyer transaction prices - still excellent resale against what a 2021 sold for when new, just no longer at "far more than we paid for it" territory

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 4.26.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 4.26.10 PM.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 102
People are pricing their used cars as though they slept for the past year and haven't kept up on prices.
Ultimately they will wake up when their car hasn't sold in a few months and realize market reality.
It's the Rip Van Winkle syndrome.
Absolutely prices on tesla down 20% from 2 months I remember brand new MYLR basic $60k

Tesla selling for $67k

That$6k same exact car private sale

Used 22 MYLR with under 10k miles $52k to $55k on Manheim and not selling

Get ready it just going to get bad each month

Flipping is over and Tesla prices will drop on new tesla by10%

Brand new MYLR I can see next year with tesla incentive not tax rebate at $60k

Used MYLR at 40k with 1 year old and 20k miles

It a good time to buy i would wait until March for fire sale tesla

Absolutely prices on tesla down 20% from 2 months I remember brand new MYLR basic $60k

Tesla selling for $67k

That$6k same exact car private sale

Used 22 MYLR with under 10k miles $52k to $55k on Manheim and not selling

Get ready it just going to get bad each month

Flipping is over and Tesla prices will drop on new tesla by10%

Brand new MYLR I can see next year with tesla incentive not tax rebate at $60k

Used MYLR at 40k with 1 year old and 20k miles

It a good time to buy i would wait until March for fire sale tesla
I am not sure if they will decrease the MY Long range to $60k, I can see one or two thousand less b/c my thought process is that Tesla is going to put on the configurator in 2023 the standard range model y. I think they will start the price at or around $58-60k. You can buy the standard range on the inventory page. I have seen multiple on there but they are around $62-63K without options. I think the December $3750 incentive off the price is a great thing, b/c some people do not qualify for the tax credit in 2023 and this is a point of sale credit and no waiting at this point..Plus if you find a demo that has money off of it too, you can stack it with the $3750!

I agree with you this 3rd party dealerships are on something. I have been following one dealership who had the same color and package that I wanted but it is a 2022 and has been on their site for months now and started at $67k and now is at $63k. I emailed the sales person and told him I have a 23 on order and can pick up yours for the right price. They still say this number is firm even though they are discounting it.. I told them I will wait until you keep further discounting the car. They never learn.It is strange, they have a buyer here but do not want to negotiate.

I am not sure if they will decrease the MY Long range to $60k, I can see one or two thousand less b/c my thought process is that Tesla is going to put on the configurator in 2023 the standard range model y. I think they will start the price at or around $58-60k. You can buy the standard range on the inventory page. I have seen multiple on there but they are around $62-63K without options. I think the December $3750 incentive off the price is a great thing, b/c some people do not qualify for the tax credit in 2023 and this is a point of sale credit and no waiting at this point..Plus if you find a demo that has money off of it too, you can stack it with the $3750!

I agree with you this 3rd party dealerships are on something. I have been following one dealership who had the same color and package that I wanted but it is a 2022 and has been on their site for months now and started at $67k and now is at $63k. I emailed the sales person and told him I have a 23 on order and can pick up yours for the right price. They still say this number is firm even though they are discounting it.. I told them I will wait until you keep further discounting the car. They never learn.It is strange, they have a buyer here but do not want to negotiate.
I don’t know if you’re already doing this, but you can go to cargurus.com , locate the vehicle, and see a graph of price changes for that specific vehicle to learn how they’re raising or dropping the price over time.

Over here in Europe people look carefully at the cars. A Model 3 RWD with 60 kWh battery and Ryzen processor will fetch clearly more than an only slightly older one with 55 kWh and Atom processor. The tow hook also counts on the Model 3, where it cannot be easily retrofitted.

Being entirely undamaged also makes a difference.

FSD is usually not fully rewarded. Some dealers don't move the price for it at all, though that makes no sense.

We still have the situation that Germany subsidizes BEV, while some Nordic countries ask for high import duties for new cars. So a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y that is at least half a year old and has driven at least 6,000 km ( a bit over 4,000 miles) is considered a used car and escapes the extra cost. I know, I just sold a Model 3 from Germany to Denmark for €42,000, slightly more than what I originally paid for it 10 months ago, counting in the subsidy of €6,000, and my car had already 24,000 km, approx. 15,000 miles, on it. This year's price rise also helped.

It is clear though that used Tesla prices will not stay that high forever. On the other hand, one doesn't have to make a profit from selling a used Tesla. It is already rewarding to be able to drive a new car for much less than it would cost to lease one.

Reactions: voxel and Daekwan
If you want a 2023 MY with the new suspension, it’s probably worth it to wait a year and get a like-new preowned one with low miles at a 30% discount. I wonder if the glut of used models is due to people dumping their Teslas as a result of Elon’s plunge toward QAnon.
I doubt they would go to 30% discount, that is wishful thinking. EVs will hold their value vs gas cars but I do not think 30% less. my opinion.

I doubt they would go to 30% discount, that is wishful thinking. EVs will hold their value vs gas cars but I do not think 30% less. my opinion.
I think it going to be like 20 to 25 percent drop.
With high interest rate’s and other EV ramping up production Tesla hold on EV will drop from 87% to 50% this will drive demand down thus price drop

Manheim is your best price indicator currently 2021 MYLR under 10k miles 52k average

I wonder if the glut of used models is due to people dumping their Teslas as a result of Elon’s plunge toward QAnon.
There's a glut of other used car brands too.... Perhaps the CEO's of those companies are plunging towards QAnon also??? or it's just a recession and people just don't have or want to buy expensive cars.

Recession, layoffs.. inflation.. low savings amount etc... combined with Tesla getting more efficient at making cars... supply chain lessening etc.. My prediction: within 6 months we will see even more discounts THROUGHT OUT the car industry regardless if or if not Elon goes full MAGA.

The ironic thing is by that time a lot of us will not want to buy a tesla or any new car because of the fore mentioned issues.