Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're just stating exactly what I did - that my positive experience and your apparently very negative experience (or you have no experience at all and are just a troll, which given your account creation date and post history I'm beginning to suspect) are extremely small sample sizes and 100% in line with pretty much every automotive brand in the history of ever. I've been an auto enthusiast for decades and have frequented many forums from many different manufactures and its always the same - lots of positive experiences and plenty of negative ones; Tesla is no different and your complaints are just literal noise not unique to Tesla in any way.

I love that you seem to think a large manufacturing company like Tesla doesn't care about quality or even has a quality department, or that there is a way to "do quality" like its a one-time solvable thing 😂 I'll ask again, ya been around cars very long?

Just for reference I happen to work for a very large manufacturing company in the automotive-adjacent space, and we have a small group that makes a very particular component for Tesla. I remember a few years ago when we started this partnership with Tesla, this particular group had to nearly overhaul its entire quality/tracking system to meet Tesla's very stringent demands. At the time (this was years ago, around 2018 or so) I literally sat directly behind one of the lead MFG systems engineers that was writing code for this overhaul, and he was always saying how none of our partners or suppliers had ever put these kinds of demands on us, and we have always taken quality VERY seriously. He was frequently frustrated by what seemed like unreasonably high standards, but in hindsight makes sense given Tesla's highly iterative ultra-fast-paced development cycle.

You can say what you want about FSD, Cybertruck, or Roadster - your heels are clearly dug in here but it's just a matter of time before you're proven objectively wrong ;) Some of us understand how difficult it is to build anything at scale, especially new and innovative physical products, and our expectations and patience are adjusted appropriately.

By the way, Tesla is in fact hiring a gazillion people, you can go on their website and see just how many positions they have open. Since you seem to have all their problems identified and consider them easy to solve, why don't ya apply for one and help em out!
Your arrogance is laughable. It is irrelevant about what you do or where you work. I am sure we would all be impressed at your acumen and experience. You apparently are. If you had any objectivity at all you would realize that what is coming out of Tesla is very spotty in quality. No consistency. Even Musk has admitted they have issues. Do you remember the Home Depot bamboo poles holding up the heat pump in early Model Y’s ? Yeah that’s real professional engineering. Maybe it’s about time Musk hired some seasoned professionals. If they were not so focused on cranking out vehicles with questionable quality maybe they would not be at the bottom of the JD Powers quality surveys.

• Funny
Reactions: Sixth and mdsco
Unless something has changed, @phonetele226 does not have a tesla. They said this in multiple different posts around when they joined:

They definitely have a pretty deep seated opinion on the brand, however. @phonetele226 , given your opinions of the brand, which are your own of course, I have zero Idea how anyone with your opinions would ever consider buying this product.
Sounds like the same user that trolls on reddit. He has the same talking points as well and is also from Canada

• Informative
Reactions: mdsco
Your arrogance is laughable. It is irrelevant about what you do or where you work. I am sure we would all be impressed at your acumen and experience. You apparently are. If you had any objectivity at all you would realize that what is coming out of Tesla is very spotty in quality. No consistency. Even Musk has admitted they have issues. Do you remember the Home Depot bamboo poles holding up the heat pump in early Model Y’s ? Yeah that’s real professional engineering. Maybe it’s about time Musk hired some seasoned professionals. If they were not so focused on cranking out vehicles with questionable quality maybe they would not be at the bottom of the JD Powers quality surveys.

Don't you think that the demographics of buyers impacts the results of JD Powers surveys? Expensive cars surely have more finicky owners. Also, cheap cars have less complexity, so they have fewer things that can break. And I quote good old JD:

Seven of the top 10 problem areas in the study are infotainment-related, including: built-in voice recognition (8.3 PP100); Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity (5.4 PP100); built-in Bluetooth system (4.5 PP100); not enough power plugs/USB ports (4.2 PP100); navigation systems difficult to understand/use (3.7 PP100); touchscreen/display screen (3.6 PP100); and navigation system inaccurate/outdated map (3.6 PP100).

• Informative
Reactions: Sixth
A very poor troll, he or she doesn't realize the condensation is normal. Our Tesla Service Center here in Burbank is literally 24 hours. The service here has been pretty stellar. In regards to quality, this poor woman's experience in regards to her ID4 hasn't exactly been great. Dealer response in regards to her issue "If we can't replicate the issue, we can't fix it" On a Tesla, pull up the log, boom done.

Condensation is not normal in a tail light. And how do you explain it in one light and not the other ? They are in the same city. None of my other cars have this problem. You are the perfect candidate for Tesla shoddy engineering. Apparently if they tell you some observed fault is normal you will dutifully nod your head and carry on. Critical thinking would serve you well.

• Funny
Condensation is not normal in a tail light. And how do you explain it in one light and not the other ? They are in the same city. None of my other cars have this problem. You are the perfect candidate for Tesla shoddy engineering. Apparently if they tell you some observed fault is normal you will dutifully nod your head and carry on. Critical thinking would serve you well.
Ahh the good ole " hasN't hApPenEd tO mE bEfoRe!"

I can literally go on with this, the consensus is that it's normal.

Want to grasp for straws be my guest !

edit: Do you even have a Tesla?

Last edited:
Don't you think that the demographics of buyers impacts the results of JD Powers surveys? Expensive cars surely have more finicky owners. Also, cheap cars have less complexity, so they have fewer things that can break. And I quote good old JD:
Dig deeper. The issues you quoted like Apple Car Play problems are not even relevant to Tesla. And cheap cars are just cheap but can have outstanding quality.
Tesla is expensive and has mediocre quality. Period. I suppose Consumer Reports is wrong too about Tesla as saying not recommended. I get a kick out of you Tesla apologists not admitting they are flawed. The brainwashing is working I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: mdsco

Arrogance? I gave you a specific real-world example that had nothing to do with my acumen, just that I happened to sit behind the guy who did have the acumen and experience directly related to Tesla quality controls and standards. You've got a weird take on that, but ok.

Shoddy engineering...I'd direct you to the Munro & Associates YouTube channel where they literally tear down vehicles including Teslas to examine their engineering qualities and innovations, but you're clearly not interested in absorbing any evidence that doesn't already align with your poorly-backed negative opinions about Tesla.

At this point it's clear you have your mind made up, and you'd rather just be a salty troll, one with no first hand experience to back any of your claims.

Reactions: M0SA and Sixth

Want to grasp for straws be my guest !

edit: Do you even have a Tesla?

Why in one headlight and not the other ? Can’t wait for your technical response.

• Funny
Unless something has changed, @phonetele226 does not have a tesla. They said this in multiple different posts around when they joined:

They definitely have a pretty deep seated opinion on the brand, however. @phonetele226 , given your opinions of the brand, which are your own of course, I have zero Idea how anyone with your opinions would ever consider buying this product.

This is a good catch, and kinda makes it clear that this person is just here to be a troll and spew nonsense for reasons I don't care to understand.

Hard to imagine anyone joining a Tesla-specific forum, immediately posting over 200 times in under a month (mostly negative posts), while not owning a Tesla, but maybe wanting a Tesla even though they apparently think the brand is complete and utter garbage??? This is a weird one for sure.

Reactions: M0SA and Sixth

This.

I follow many EV forums and the Telluride forum and condensation inside lights happens to all brands.

Every EV has their issues..EV6 has speaker amps blowing out at a large rate, GV60 Performance cars are failing in large numbers (but not the Advanced trim strangely), ID.4 has battery coolant problems and 351 HV batteries recalled, Ioniq 5 suffers from random dead 12V batteries due to vampire drain from software bugs, Mach-E has HVBJB failures along with glass roof + seatbelt recalls, bz4x was recalled due to wheels falling off, 2022 Bolts have transmission control module failures, BMW recalled a few hundred i4s and iXs this summer due to possible battery fires.

The least problematic car I've owned and followed has been the RAV4 Prime and the Model 3 RWD.

Reactions: mdsco and Sixth
I do want to make my own opinion as a moderator here at TMC clear. Note that I am not a moderator of the model Y subforum, but the opinion I am about to state is my opinion as far as moderation goes.

TMC allows all sorts of opinions, and there is no requirement for someone to only post positive things. Many times, some of the best discussions come about when people disagree, and debate a topic. So, dissenting opinions are definitely allowed.

With that being said, I have a personal distaste for the assumptions by some that "all positive opinions are fanboys" as well as "all negative opinions are trolls". Neither of those is true. Its possible to like your car without being a fanboy, and its possible to dislike the brand based on things you read, instead of personal experiences.

There is a difference, however, in "open discourse" and trolling (either positively or negatively), and after a while. especially performing moderation duties on a site this size, one gets fairly experienced in seeing when people are here for discussion, vs "something else" (whatever something else might be).

Without going into a bunch of details, I will say that, as a rule, I am likely to start looking into something that looks like "something else" to me.

So, TL ; DR = Not all positive opinions are fanboys, and not all negative opinions are trolls. One gets pretty adept at identifying both extremes with practice.

I may be a little passionate about what I say but to me at least it’s the same group of people constantly down voting me and calling me a troll with every negative comment I make. I don’t think censorship is the way to go in an open forum. I know it’s hard to be a moderator but surely you must see how some of these guys are ready to pounce every time.

Not all positive opinions are fanboys, and not all negative opinions are trolls.
100% agree with your post and want to point out that when people are saying "fanboy" or "troll," what they're doing is, by definition, an ad hominem attack instead of addressing the issue. Ad hominem attacks are not allowed here because they are a low bar for actual discourse.

I don’t think censorship is the way to go in an open forum
This is a moderated forum. It's not a public square. You may want to spend time reading the site rules.

100% agree with your post and want to point out that when people are saying "fanboy" or "troll," what they're doing is, by definition, an ad hominem attack instead of addressing the issue. Ad hominem attacks are not allowed here because they are a low bar for actual discourse.

This is a moderated forum. It's not a public square. You may want to spend time reading the site rules.
Agree always attack the issue and not the person.

I don’t consider myself a fanboy though I do like Tesla’s mission and think overall they have great products. I will be the first to tell you that there are some area where Tesla needs to do better.

I think right now, based on my experience with my new 22 MYP with FSD that service is suffering mainly due to the rush to get as many units out the door as possible. Tesla is producing and delivering more cars but the quality issues are falling on service to resolve.

Long term I think Tesla will hold their value. In the short term however used prices will likely take a hit with so many units available. The highest prices on cars.com have already fallen back quite a bit since my first post on 8/23.

On quality I think Tesla will improve quality as the frenzy slows down and they ramp up capacity from Austin.

Tesla needs to improve quality and customer service if they want to have long term success. Treating customers badly will no go well long term. Just like any relationship resentment and contempt will set in and that is not a good thing. Treat your customers well and they will be loyal.

Not sure where y'all see so much used Tesla inventory. I am looking at used Tesla within 50 mile radius. Near me, there are just 13 used Tesla, and 9 used Mach-E.

Ford has sold 93,000 Mach-E. Tesla has sold 3 million EV.

Ford has sold 1/32 as many EV as Tesla, but they have almost as many used Mach-E as Tesla.

I find this rather amusing; why so many used Mach-E?

I would also 100% agree with this. And to clarify, myself and others have been attempting many times over to address the issues this individual has expressed, citing many examples and real-world observations and data. We did not jump straight to "troll" when a dissenting opinion was expressed, only when said individual had repeatedly brushed aside and ignored all counterpoints and attempts at discussion. The pattern of behavior started to emerge and align with what most would consider "trolling" - i.e. dissent without the intention or willingness to understand/learn.

Just my CYA :D