Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$2K drop every week or so.

View attachment 866812

So all these were sold or delisted or auctioned off. The only Ys showing at the same dealership are now $65K+ or if they are $62K they have 4K miles.

I suspect they sold them or auctioned them off. My friend called about one and could not get an OTD price and was sent info on another.

There might be a price floor with Ys. $60K seems to trigger buyers back into the market.

cars.com also shows history now but some dealers are getting crafty and doing a delete/relist to make it look like the car hasn't been sitting.

It only goes to reason that some folks ordered the cars 6+ months ago and now with rates quite a bit higher for many the numbers may no longer work. Especially if they planned on trading in their current vehicle. Trade values are in the toilet and I suspect many banks and credit unions will be unwilling to roll that negative equity into a new loan now. Those with no trade and paying cash will be unaffected however that is a very small portion of buyers.

I would be curious to see what kind of residual Tesla Finance is quoting on leases these days. I suspect if this trend continues we may see Tesla allowing folks to buy their leased vehicles at the end of the term. We should see more leased vehicles coming back next year which can't be bought out.

Perhaps that could explain why Tesla only offered $29,000 for a high mileage 2016 MX. That doesn't explain why I got $48,000 from an out of state buyer. I consider myself lucky. It did have free self charging which was important to him and his wife.
Because private party sales are always higher than selling to a dealer/manufacturer, especially one that doesn't engage in resale.

Because private party sales are always higher than selling to a dealer/manufacturer, especially one that doesn't engage in resale.
True and also retail prices are lagging way behind wholesale prices.

If I were in the market for something used I would be waiting for wholesale prices to stabilize. Dealers are still in denial and eventually they will have to lower prices. I mean at this point some of these cars have been sitting on dealer lots for over four months. At what point do you just cut your losses and move on?

I suspect, if this continues, we may see some fire sales toward the end of the year. Pure speculation on my part. If I were the dealer I would want to take the losses before the end of the year.

Well it looks like I hosed myself. I have a new car ready for delivery this weekend and was going to sell my 2022 MYP w/ 8000 miles. The offers from Carvana, Vroom, Driveway were all awful vs. just a month ago. The Cargurus offer was about $5k over the Carvana offer but still really low. Took it into Carmax tonight but still waiting to hear back. Truecar gave me three leads and supposedly a real offer that these three dealers have to honor but I suspect that it will be a bait and switch when I go to the dealership. Will give the one that looks most promising a try tomorrow but not looking hopeful. Does anybody know of other options of where to sell. I don't have the time and effort to go through a private sale. I can't believe I may have to walk away from the other car. Sigh.

Well it looks like I hosed myself. I have a new car ready for delivery this weekend and was going to sell my 2022 MYP w/ 8000 miles. The offers from Carvana, Vroom, Driveway were all awful vs. just a month ago. The Cargurus offer was about $5k over the Carvana offer but still really low. Took it into Carmax tonight but still waiting to hear back. Truecar gave me three leads and supposedly a real offer that these three dealers have to honor but I suspect that it will be a bait and switch when I go to the dealership. Will give the one that looks most promising a try tomorrow but not looking hopeful. Does anybody know of other options of where to sell. I don't have the time and effort to go through a private sale. I can't believe I may have to walk away from the other car. Sigh.
What are you selling your car for, what are you getting next?

What the best offer they are giving you? I understand they will bait and switch it will be interesting to see how low they are offering

thanks

My personal guess would be $63K but I checked Blackbook and that would be on the upper-end for a trade in (I used FL as the state). Lots of MYPs with low-ish miles for sale here in the $65K to $67K range... but not sold of course.

1666835972292.png

Reactions: saj070
So its a 2022 MYP with 8,460. No modifications other than PPF on front of hood through A pillar and some PPF on rear doors. Perfect condition. No scratches. Never smoked in. No accidents. No check engine lights. Garaged the entire time of ownership. Only used hand carwash.

Using KBB (I don't have the other options), it says my theoretical trade-in value should be $60K-$64k with a value of $62,287.
-Carvana was $49,479. On 8/4, my offer with 5,446 miles was $61,936
-Driveway was $50,000. On 8/11, my offer was $65,000.
-Vroom was $51,000. On 8/10, my prior offer was $69,000
-Carmax still waiting.
-TrueCar's True Cash Offer is $59,200. Three locations claim they want to buy it. Only one seems reputable (Honda dealership). The other two were used car dealerships that I assume are those predatory lending type places. I'm taking it to Honda to see if they will honor it.
-Cars.com also offered $59,200. It was one location near me but a used car only place. The reviews on this one from Google look ok but again I'm concerned its one of those places for people who don't have great credit and they just kill them with fees / high rates. I just worry somehow if I were to sell these places, somehow they would drag their feet on the check or something really weird and tie up my purchase.

What I was planning on purchasing was a BMW IX50. I actually had ordered it in January (Ordered MYP in Nov 21 and got delivery in Feb 2022). Original delivery date of IX was suppose to be August as I took over someone's slot that was supposedly cancelled back in Jan. It arrived at the dealership today. Because of the delay, I most likely lost the $7500 tax credit after begging them in August to figure out how to make the contract binding. If delivered back then, well you can see the values I had above and so w/ the Vroom offer I would have actually made money driving the MYP.

Why get an IX? The suspension in the MYP is tolerable but very unrefined for someone coming from only owning BMW, Mercedes, Lexus previously. I liked the idea of air suspension even if there is potential maintenance costs. I also liked the idea of a heads up display and instrument cluster. Would prefer an even quieter vehicle. And I'm just used to more luxurious interiors although the MYP is perfectly serviceable. Service on the MYP is somewhat of a concern. I've had a few things they've had to sort out and each time, I had to wait about 3-4 weeks to bring in the vehicle w/o a loaner. Meanwhile, there are 5 BMW dealerships within 30 minutes of me and can always get a service appointment fairly quickly w/ a loaner.

Can I afford the IX50? Sure. Am I underwater on the MYP? No. But I have studied some of these public companies. Generally they make $3K in gross profit selling a vehicle. Just on the vehicle (ex F&I), they tend to make about $2K. So while I get that they are concerned about taking risk here. There would be no reconditioning costs involved in this vehicle. Just feels like they are really trying to rip off people here to offset prior inventory that they have that could be at a loss right now (although I would have thought if it sits on the lot for more than 60-days, they would just wholesale it). Just so frustrating. If the Carmax or Honda thing doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to live with the MYP. If my kid was more like 14-15 and not 11, I'd just deal with it and then give them the vehicle when they get their license but in 6-7 years and own both IX and MYP but I suspect this MYP won't be something she'd want to drive by then (and should a new driver really have a MYP?). Sigh.

I'd also like to point out that I get this is somewhat of a "world's smallest violin situation" when taking in the context of all the things going on in the world. But it still just sucks.

Last edited:
So its a 2022 MYP with 8,460. No modifications other than PPF on front of hood through A pillar and some PPF on rear doors. Perfect condition. No scratches. Never smoked in. No accidents. No check engine lights. Garaged the entire time of ownership. Only used hand carwash.

Using KBB (I don't have the other options), it says my theoretical trade-in value should be $60K-$64k with a value of $62,287.
-Carvana was $49,479. On 8/4, my offer with 5,446 miles was $61,936
-Driveway was $50,000. On 8/11, my offer was $65,000.
-Vroom was $51,000. On 8/10, my prior offer was $69,000
-Carmax still waiting.
-TrueCar's True Cash Offer is $59,200. Three locations claim they want to buy it. Only one seems reputable (Honda dealership). The other two were used car dealerships that I assume are those predatory lending type places. I'm taking it to Honda to see if they will honor it.
-Cars.com also offered $59,200. It was one location near me but a used car only place. The reviews on this one from Google look ok but again I'm concerned its one of those places for people who don't have great credit and they just kill them with fees / high rates. I just worry somehow if I were to sell these places, somehow they would drag their feet on the check or something really weird and tie up my purchase.

What I was planning on purchasing was a BMW IX50. I actually had ordered it in January (Ordered MYP in Nov 21 and got delivery in Feb 2022). Original delivery date of IX was suppose to be August as I took over someone's slot that was supposedly cancelled back in Jan. It arrived at the dealership today. Because of the delay, I most likely lost the $7500 tax credit after begging them in August to figure out how to make the contract binding. If delivered back then, well you can see the values I had above and so w/ the Vroom offer I would have actually made money driving the MYP.

Why get an IX? The suspension in the MYP is tolerable but very unrefined for someone coming from only owning BMW, Mercedes, Lexus previously. I liked the idea of air suspension even if there is potential maintenance costs. I also liked the idea of a heads up display and instrument cluster. Would prefer an even quieter vehicle. And I'm just used to more luxurious interiors although the MYP is perfectly serviceable. Service on the MYP is somewhat of a concern. I've had a few things they've had to sort out and each time, I had to wait about 3-4 weeks to bring in the vehicle w/o a loaner. Meanwhile, there are 5 BMW dealerships within 30 minutes of me and can always get a service appointment fairly quickly w/ a loaner.

Can I afford the IX50? Sure. Am I underwater on the MYP? No. But I have studied some of these public companies. Generally they make $3K in gross profit selling a vehicle. Just on the vehicle (ex F&I), they tend to make about $2K. So while I get that they are concerned about taking risk here. There would be no reconditioning costs involved in this vehicle. Just feels like they are really trying to rip off people here to offset prior inventory that they have that could be at a loss right now (although I would have thought if it sits on the lot for more than 60-days, they would just wholesale it). Just so frustrating. If the Carmax or Honda thing doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to live with the MYP. If my kid was more like 14-15 and not 11, I'd just deal with it and then give them the vehicle when they get their license but in 6-7 years and own both IX and MYP but I suspect this MYP won't be something she'd want to drive by then (and should a new driver really have a MYP?). Sigh.

I'd also like to point out that I get this is somewhat of a "world's smallest violin situation" when taking in the context of all the things going on in the world. But it still just sucks.

I don’t think these dealers are ripping you off but used Tesla resale is terrible. I posted pics of almost new 2022 MYLRs with 22 miles being offered for $59.5K and not sold… well they did sell. So basically a dealer has to price them $6-7 K under new MSRP for a buyer to bite. In a normal market just driving off the lot would devalue your car by $10K.

That BMW iX while great is going to be a massive depreciation sinkhole. I own an i4 and already see new MSRP cars not sell immediately and used ones sit for a long time. Expect to lose $10K-$15K in depreciation at least per year.. maybe even more. Especially with competitors like the Lyriq who are underpriced by $20K. A friend just bought a launch edition R1T at auction for $82K with sub 2000 miles. Gone are the $100K bids.

I think dealers are being extra cautious and I'm paying for their overbidding mistakes.

As for the IX I had no illusions that it would hold its value. It isn;t perfect but was one that meets my requirements and planned to run into the ground. I stil have an R1S on order that I haven;t cancelled yet simply because they are honoring my initial pricing of $80k but had planned on cancelling after accepting the IX because I assume the service situation I've lived through with Tesla will be that much worse with Rivian (assuming this company survives).

As for the Lyriq, still no interesting in that one. My interest in the IX was due to not wanting to pay $130k for a model X so view it as the relative value play to the X (and don't love the yoke, 2nd row doors, six-seven seats, etc).

The iX is an awesome vehicle! The big question is how much are you losing on the MYP and are you able to stomach said loss? I know you paid more than 59k with taxes and fees and your also into it for the PPF install. Did you purchase FSD?

On the iX how long do you plan to keep it? The longer you keep it the smaller the loss and it's only a loss if you have to sell it.

Carvana is in deep trouble so it doesn't surprise me their only offering 49k. Around here the most expensive examples offered for sale are carvana vehicles.

Im not under water in any scenarios on MYP but if I looked at monthly cost of ownership it would look pretty horrible if I sold to CVNA. If I could get closer to $59k it would feel more like a month to mount) lease program.

The goal for IX would be to keep it for five years minimum.

Im not under water in any scenarios on MYP but if I looked at monthly cost of ownership it would look pretty horrible if I sold to CVNA. If I could get closer to $59k it would feel more like a month to mount) lease program.

The goal for IX would be to keep it for five years minimum.

If you think depreciation is bad on the MYP, be prepared to be floored by the IX. We're talking close to 40% in the first year or so.

That was true and may be true again, but I've been shopping int hat space and anything with a 2020+ model year is hanging in there really well.

The real german depreciation hammer has traditionally fallen about 6 months before whenever the bumper to bumper warranty expires, which I believe is currently 36 months. And that hammer is back in full force for the older stuff, anything over 5 years old is getting close to pre-insanity levels. You can also see this dynamic starting to manifest now in used high-end MB, BMW products. 2019's are asking 10-20% less than equivalent 2020 models with equivalent miles, but 2020's are still hanging in there close to MSRP with 10-20,000 miles on them. That won't last either, valar morghulis, but production numbers in 2020 and 2021 model years were low, so there's some scarcity working in their favor. I doubt 2022 and particularly 2023 model year cars will fare so well. It's spotty, but some dealers around me are swimming in late-2022 production cars in certain model lines.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, not a single Model Y has fallen into the "pre-2020" or "out of warranty" phase yet.

I have no doubt iX and i4 and EQ* will eventually dump their values right alongside their gas BMW friends until states with a lot of buying power and demand start really incentivizing used electric car purchases, but until then they're too expensive for federal and a lot of state credits, and too german to benefit from more than about 5% to the upside. The Audi Quattrotron is a good bellwether there, and they're available for pretty reasonable money used now. And that's a NICE automobile.

I have personally been offered a bit off MSRP on a couple new cars lately. Nothing like the old automatic 5% off MSRP you'd used to get, but it's coming back.

If Tesla doesn't significantly update 3 and Y soon, and I mean like serious life cycle impulses similar to the S/X, not the nerdy "look how cool this construction method/tabless battery alien tech is!" stuff that we marque forum netizens all know about and find interesting, they're in for a really rude awakening on demand unless they drop prices by a LOT.

Last edited: