TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Oatmeal: Nikola Tesla

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AndyM, May 14, 2012.

1. AndyM

AndyM Member

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I do find it a bit ironic, though, that DC SuperCharging of one's Tesla is the gold standard.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

There's a cult around Nikola Tesla, and I strongly suspect that he deserves credit for about half of what his cult following claims. He was a genius and also a crackpot. He made some discoveries that changed the world, including alternating current. He also made some claims that are just wacko. He's a fascinating man, but not the god some of his boosters would have us believe.

I think it was cool and appropriate to name an electric car company after him. But the name, and the man, had nothing to do with my buying my Tesla Roadster, though I was aware of the man long before the company existed. (He was a cult figure even then.) It was the amazingness of the car itself that prompted me to buy it, made possible by the vision of the founders and the brilliance and hard work of the engineers. (And, I gather, some technology leased from AC Propulsion.)

5. Zextraterrestrial

6. Zextraterrestrial

Well ....crap it is a long comic and took me a while to read...:wink:

7. Jkam

Jkam Member

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Some of that stuff seems too good to be true but Tesla was an interesting guy. Also being discussed here:
    The Oatmeal: Nikola Tesla

9. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

10. AndyM

AndyM Member

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I believe it is mostly true. Tesla was a very interesting character and we all owe him for his forward thinking. If you want to read a gpod book on the man get Tesla a man out of time. For an engineer it was a great read.

12. daniel

daniel Active Member

Good article. Too many people regard Tesla as a superman. He was not. He was a brilliant man. But as the article says, it's a great mistake to attribute all good things to Tesla alone while demonizing Edison and brushing aside the many other brilliant women and men, upon whose work Tesla built, and who improved on Tesla's work, and some few of whom were more brilliant.

Tesla was remarkable for combining great brilliance with some colossal crackpottery. He was flashy. He was wonderful. He was a great choice for the name of an innovative car company. But he was not a god, and the present idolatry of him is unwarranted.

13. EvERES22

EvERES22 Member

The cartoon said that Tesla died a virgin. The same is supposedly true of Isaac Newton. I'm glad that I'm not a super genius! :biggrin:

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Newton had an excuse. All the mercury that he played around with poisoned him.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Nicely ripped apart!

16. daniel

daniel Active Member

Very interesting. I still think that Tesla was a genius who did incredible things, but who does not deserve the cult worship he gets in some circles. Edison was a businessman, with all that implies. He changed the world. He was not a nice man.

And "Tesla" is a great name for a company dedicated to building electric cars.

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#20 vfx, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    comic2.jpg

fixed per TEG