Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Oatmeal's Description and Review of his Magical Space Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Oatmeal has long been my favorite comic/blog site and I have read every entry there. I knew he liked Tesla and got Elon to donate to the museum, but I didn't know he had the car (or frankly that his blogging could fund a Model S)

Aye, and yours truly happened to give the local service center one of his stickers a couple weeks before he came in to pick up his Model S. Maddy put it up in the window to her office and Matthew saw it and blogged about it here. Glad I brought a smile back to his face, since he's brought so many to mine.

I love the Oatmeal's stuff and his comic was great on page one, but page two was a little schizophrenic and...

I don't like how he's putting Elon on the spot and basically shaming him into donating. Not cool. The guy draws/writes funny comics but bad choice in how he's asking for funds.

...yeah it bummed me that he acted like Elon owes this (despite trying to disclaim that this wasn't what he was doing). Also I was baffled by his implications that it's problematic that the company is named after Tesla; IMHO it's a serious homage to a woefully under-appreciated genius, and there's more connection between Tesla Motors and Nikola Tesla than some other things named after the guy. ;-)

But I still love The Oatmeal, and the first page was so awesome, OMG! I seriously LOL'd when I hit the part about how when someone comes up and admires your car, you should hit all the buttons in the mobile app and freak them out. :-D

He is asking Elon/Tesla Motors to come up with $8 million, that's 32 average SuperChargers, so probably won't happen... It would be nice if Tesla Motors offered some type of crowd sourced matching campaign, for every $1 donated or raised from the crowd sourced site, Tesla Motors would match it (with a $4 million limit, say spread out over 2-3 years, so not a huge hit to shareholders). Ultimately, they could put a few Model S's on display, and especially a skateboard version, and close up of the AC induction motor. They could even locate a SuperCharger onsite, could become sort of an east coast showcase of Tesla Motors technology, and give credit to Nikola for inventing it over 100 years ago.
"The Nikola Tesla Museum" (sponsored by Tesla Motors)"

Agree that it's iffy to put Elon in a spot like that. $8 million is a lot of money to give to one cause even if it's "pocket change" for Elon. Showing the $2,500 figure that he contributed the last time seems a bit semi-accusatory to me.

Having said that, it'd indeed be great if Elon can jumpstart this round of fundraising. There are so many more people who are aware of and are fans of Tesla (atleast the car company) now than back in early 2012. A crowdsourced fundraising effort may pull it off. I contributed the last time and will do the same this time as well. Nikola Tesla deserves to be remembered for perpetuity and honored for what he did for humanity.

The cartoons themselves were hilarious as always.

I loved the cartoon too, but wish he didn't bring the fires up again.
People have actually already forgot those fires. During my conversations with people noone mentions them any more. So why bring it up again?

Check out @elonmusk's Tweet: Twitter / elonmusk: @Oatmeal I would be happy to help

Elon agrees to help!

How could he not? They can get the naming rights so that it's the Tesla Motors Tesla Museum, or TMTM for short.

I don't think he really put him on the spot. In his begging letter, he noted specifically that Elon Musk chooses to invest his wealth in, essentially, huge semi-philanthropic projects instead of yachts, strippers or yachts with strippers, but said that he did spend $1M on a very expensive (awesome) toy, so how about $8M to build and run a Tesla museum, Elon?

Elon Musk added another tweet:

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 3h said:
@Oatmeal may all technology in the future follow the zeroth law...

(No explanation of the zeroth law needed here, I presume).

Last edited:
I loved the cartoon too, but wish he didn't bring the fires up again.
People have actually already forgot those fires. During my conversations with people noone mentions them any more. So why bring it up again?

I told one guy I know who likes to refer to my Model S as an "Electric Pinto" to not read that Oatmeal article as he would find it insulting... ;)

How could he not? They can get the naming rights so that it's the Tesla Motors Tesla Museum, or TMTM for short.

I don't think he really put him on the spot. In his begging letter, he noted specifically that Elon Musk chooses to invest his wealth in, essentially, huge semi-philanthropic projects instead of yachts, strippers or yachts with strippers, but said that he did spend $1M on a very expensive (awesome) toy, so how about $8M to build and run a Tesla museum, Elon?

Elon Musk added another tweet:

(No explanation of the zeroth law needed here, I presume).

I google'd the zeroth law and read about Asimov but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.. could someone in the know please enlighten me?

Elon’s tweet was in response to Inman’s about Hari Seldon so you were right to look toward Azimov; it’s not the zeroth law of thermodynamics but of robots "A robot may not harm humanity, or through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm”.

Elon’s tweet was in response to Inman’s about Hari Seldon so you were right to look toward Azimov; it’s not the zeroth law of thermodynamics but of robots "A robot may not harm humanity, or through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm”.

A brief background, for those unfamiliar:

Humans create highly intelligent robots, which could be dangerous, so to protect humanity they are created with 3 laws:

Laws of robotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia said:
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

The zeroth law was conceived by one of these intelligent robots, Giskard, who determines that it was in humanity's interest to have a catastrophic event that would force them to leave Earth. (In a book written not long before Asimov died that tied together the Robot series and Foundation series.)

Anyway, what Elon's saying is that not only should new technology be improving humanity, but that we shouldn't be idly accepting a harmful status quo or doing nothing about future threats. His pies are SpaceX, Tesla and Solar City: he means it.