Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Oatmeal's Description and Review of his Magical Space Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for introducing me to The Oatmeal. I had never seen his work until now. Great stuff. It's funny but also a great learning experience.

+1 Awesome!

... It would be nice if Tesla Motors offered some type of crowd sourced matching campaign, for every $1 donated or raised from the crowd sourced site, Tesla Motors would match it (with a $4 million limit, say spread out over 2-3 years, so not a huge hit to shareholders). ...and give credit to Nikola for inventing it over 100 years ago.
"The Nikola Tesla Museum" (sponsored by Tesla Motors)"

I'd pitch in on that kickstarter campaign for certain.

As for the motor... I may have heard a rumor it may be getting an award soon :) but I am sworn to say no more.

If I were a betting man ... oh wait, I am! Ok, I bet Matthew Inman (the Oatmeal author) is a regular on these forums. Web nerd + deep obsession with his car = there's no way he's not on this site and no way he's not reading this thread. So, um . . . "Hi! Thanks for the comic!"

I loved the cartoon too, but wish he didn't bring the fires up again.
People have actually already forgot those fires. During my conversations with people noone mentions them any more. So why bring it up again?

I still hear about 'but those fires' all the time. I was thrilled to see it covered so accurately & in a format that people would *get*.

I still hear about 'but those fires' all the time. I was thrilled to see it covered so accurately & in a format that people would *get*.
I talked with my credit union about my loan today and the guy brought up the fires. I told him it was a non-issue overblown by the media and he seemed to accept that answer. I'm probably the first person he's talked with that knows much about Tesla, especially considering I've been told on multiple occasions that I'm the first person to finance a Tesla through them. If the discussion was more casual and he pushed the issue (which would have been doubly stupid to do with a customer buying the vehicle in question), I may have suggested he read the comic and Tesla blog posts.

Elon said "I would be happy to help", which doesn't mean he agrees to donate the $8m. Heck, it doesn't even mean he actually would help if we take it literally. If I were to guess, he would take a more gradual long term approach to helping with the museum rather than just covering the entire cost of building it. Who knows, he often goes above and beyond what most people expect, so he very well may donate the $8m.

Elon said "I would be happy to help", which doesn't mean he agrees to donate the $8m. Heck, it doesn't even mean he actually would help if we take it literally. If I were to guess, he would take a more gradual long term approach to helping with the museum rather than just covering the entire cost of building it. Who knows, he often goes above and beyond what most people expect, so he very well may donate the $8m.

Or maybe he'll pull a Hyperloop and sic some of his SpaceX and Tesla staff on the plan, resulting in the self-powered Tesla Motors Tesla Hypermuseum and Science Park.

A brief background, for those unfamiliar:

Humans create highly intelligent robots, which could be dangerous, so to protect humanity they are created with 3 laws:

Laws of robotics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The zeroth law was conceived by one of these intelligent robots, Giskard, who determines that it was in humanity's interest to have a catastrophic event that would force them to leave Earth. (In a book written not long before Asimov died that tied together the Robot series and Foundation series.)

Anyway, what Elon's saying is that not only should new technology be improving humanity, but that we shouldn't be idly accepting a harmful status quo or doing nothing about future threats. His pies are SpaceX, Tesla and Solar City: he means it.

@Ggwan and @ItsNotAboutTheMoney thanks for the explanation!

From Inman's G+ page:

Screen+Shot+2014-05-14+at+4.14.39+PM.png

:cool: