Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The odd stuff - as noticed by us Aussies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found that I was using the forums more when I was *waiting* for the Tesla to arrive. Now I get more fun being in the Tesla.

But being in the Tesla, every now and then, you notice odd stuff that I think is worth a mention on the forums.

Today I was behind a black shiny car and I saw my running lights reflection in the black car's paintwork. When I hit the right blinker, I noticed that the LED running lights for the right dulled - no doubt to give a better contrast to the orange blinker. So naturally I turned it off and then I noticed that the brightness returned. So how cool is that?

There are other odd things I have noticed.

When the car detects a speed, it puts a notch on the speedo. When it is uncertain about the speed, the notch becomes dotted.

Also, ever now and then I see fang like marks on the speed that disappear. What the hell are they?

Any other odd bits of interesting stuff people have noticed about their Tesla?

I found that I was using the forums more when I was *waiting* for the Tesla to arrive. Now I get more fun being in the Tesla.

But being in the Tesla, every now and then, you notice odd stuff that I think is worth a mention on the forums.

Today I was behind a black shiny car and I saw my running lights reflection in the black car's paintwork. When I hit the right blinker, I noticed that the LED running lights for the right dulled - no doubt to give a better contrast to the orange blinker. So naturally I turned it off and then I noticed that the brightness returned. So how cool is that?

There are other odd things I have noticed.

When the car detects a speed, it puts a notch on the speedo. When it is uncertain about the speed, the notch becomes dotted.

Also, ever now and then I see fang like marks on the speed that disappear. What the hell are they?

Any other odd bits of interesting stuff people have noticed about their Tesla?

If by "fang marks" you mean a triangle pointing inwards from the edge of the speedo that is your currently set cruise control speed I believe

If by "fang marks" you mean a triangle pointing inwards from the edge of the speedo that is your currently set cruise control speed I believe

No I mean two white lines that look like fangs or sort of like an isosceles triangle with the bottom missing. They appear for a short time sometimes (I think when you take your foot off the accelerator after a burst) and then disappear. I haven't bothered to read-up about them yet.

-----

And another odd thing:

I really love how the car side mirrors auto fold in when you park the car and auto fold out when you start the car. BUT when you deliberately fold in the mirrors to get the car into a tight spot - the LAST thing you want is for the car to auto fold-out the mirrors when you get back into the car and start it up. If you fail to realise that it has done that, you can easily slam a mirror into a post or wall. A darn nuisance - and so foreseeable too. So they should be programmed to NOT auto-fold out when the mirrors have been deliberately folded-in by the driver before entering park. Doh.

And another odd thing:

I really love how the car side mirrors auto fold in when you park the car and auto fold out when you start the car. BUT when you deliberately fold in the mirrors to get the car into a tight spot - the LAST thing you want is for the car to auto fold-out the mirrors when you get back into the car and start it up. If you fail to realise that it has done that, you can easily slam a mirror into a post or wall. A darn nuisance - and so foreseeable too. So they should be programmed to NOT auto-fold out when the mirrors have been deliberately folded-in by the driver before entering park. Doh.

Yes this one almost got me once, luckily I was watching for exactly that just in case..

I don't park that close on the side - I use the folded out mirror as a guide to how close to the wall I am.

Ztrekus has a spot in the city where he doesn't have a choice.....

Yes Dborn, but strangely also in my double carport at home, I need to park the Tesla with the passenger mirror folded in to avoid a handrail and post. I have come very close to decapitating it on the way out sometimes...slamming on the brakes at just the last second!

My routine now is to start the car, put it in gear, and then re-fold in the mirrors before reversing. A nuisance actually. Every bloody morning.

------------

and another odd thing

when you go in reverse, you can touch the witches hat in the rear image to call up a sensor screen which is quite usedul. But often tight spots require a number of forward and reversing manouvers. But everytime you put the car back in drive, you lose the sensor screen, and it doesn't come back on automatically when you put it back in reverse. That is another pain. I wish it would just stay on until it is changed manually...

-----------

and another odd thing.

they have fixed the car so that when you take your foot off the brake, the car does not roll backwards. At least for a few seconds.

but they have not fixed it to not roll back when you take your foot off the accellerator when the car has eased irself to a stop on an incline....another small nuisance...

---------

and another odd thing

you choose an rdio song and it treats it like a radio station... Fair enough, it is useful to just play random similar songs after the one you asked for. But when you rechoose the 'station' from those recently searched, it keeps playing new random songs.... I mean obviously you want to relisten to the song you just searched for.... I mean whats the real point of having a recently searched menu if it is only recently searched in name only and not in the somg that you searched for... I mean come on, that's basic.

---------

and another odd thing

you put the car in reverse and the rear camera image comes up... That's good. But it doesn't come up when the control menu is displayed... Or search menu etc... I mean obviously the reverse camera image needs to take default precednce when the car is reversing.... Another basic thing.

--------

and another odd thing

ever see what happens when you stop the car at home and you want to muck aeound a bit on the centre console but the back seat kids unbuckle and get our? The bloody seatbelt warning sign has major precednce iver any other screen shot continually stealing focus and driving you nuts. Maybe that is the point of it, but couldn't it go nuts when the car is actually moving... Only need to note it when stopped...

--------

and a few more odd things....

don't you just love:

the cornering lights... I notice them everytime...

the auto liftgate... Ie electric boot... Soooo cool... Especially the auto close.

the angular, jaguar looking bat mobile cut of the thing... Sooo slick...

..... Fog lights though .... Unnecessary, crap, what a waste...

-------

and another odd thing

did you notice the electronic switch in the frunk? Presumeably if a kid gets locked in there, they can let themselves out...

Last edited:
Yes Dborn, but strangely also in my double carport at home, I need to park the Tesla with the passenger mirror folded in to avoid a handrail and post. I have come very close to decapitating it on the way out sometimes...slamming on the brakes at just the last second!

My routine now is to start the car, put it in gear, and then re-fold in the mirrors before reversing. A nuisance actually. Every bloody morning.
did you notice the electronic switch in the frunk? Presumeably if a kid gets locked in there, they can let themselves out...

Thanks ZTrekus,
All great tips and observations for everyone; I will certainly be retracting the rear view mirrors when entering/exiting my garage.
Are you able to send to Tesla those tweaks you discovered, for consideration?

Thanks ZTrekus,
All great tips and observations for everyone; I will certainly be retracting the rear view mirrors when entering/exiting my garage.
Are you able to send to Tesla those tweaks you discovered, for consideration?

Yes Brewster, I am sure that there is an email address floating about somewhere, where people can forward their suggestions for future updates. But my guess is that they are inundated with requests ranging from the virtues of vegan seats to the benefits of petrol tanks...

Yes Brewster, I am sure that there is an email address floating about somewhere, where people can forward their suggestions for future updates. But my guess is that they are inundated with requests ranging from the virtues of vegan seats to the benefits of petrol tanks...

I read somewhere that if you press the record button on the steering wheel it can also store a comment/message for Tesla.

I read somewhere that if you press the record button on the steering wheel it can also store a comment/message for Tesla.

Yes, just start the recording with "Note" and it's stored. However they won't get it unless you email/call your service center and tell them who you are and that you left a note. It doesn't (yet?) automatically upload.

Yes, just start the recording with "Note" and it's stored. However they won't get it unless you email/call your service center and tell them who you are and that you left a note. It doesn't (yet?) automatically upload.

Sounds ghastly. Not only does the car come with a built in tracking device/homing signal - but big brother has to build in a bug as well complete with local on board recording equipment!

And another thing...

I miss not having a rear windscreen wiper though I concede that it is not necessary. BUT I do wish the front driver's side windscreen wiper wiped more of the window towards the right.

---------

p.s. I think those fang marks I was talking about are supposed to be pictures of a road and the speed sign indicator that comes up is therefore placed in the middle of that road??

--------

And another odd thing

Have you noticed that Siri works through the blutooth of the car? You just hold down the Siri button and then the handsfree of the car takes over allowing you to use the inbuilt mic and Siri responding through the Tesla speakers. It makes you want to know how to use Siri properly because you could get Siri to read you your emails, messages, compose them etc as you drive.

----------

And another odd thing

Don't you just love how the audio immediately dims when you open the front door and auto turns-up again when closed?

I do miss the BMW feature though of auto volume increase as the speed increases and similarly decrease volume linked to decreased speed.

Last edited:
And another thing...

I miss not having a rear windscreen wiper though I concede that it is not necessary. BUT I do wish the front driver's side windscreen wiper wiped more of the window towards the right.

---------

p.s. I think those fang marks I was talking about are supposed to be pictures of a road and the speed sign indicator that comes up is therefore placed in the middle of that road??

--------

And another odd thing

Have you noticed that Siri works through the blutooth of the car? You just hold down the Siri button and then the handsfree of the car takes over allowing you to use the inbuilt mic and Siri responding through the Tesla speakers. It makes you want to know how to use Siri properly because you could get Siri to read you your emails, messages, compose them etc as you drive.

----------

And another odd thing

Don't you just love how the audio immediately dims when you open the front door and auto turns-up again when closed?

I do miss the BMW feature though of auto volume increase as the speed increases and similarly decrease volume linked to decreased speed.

1: Yes, it is very wide and distracting. I wish it would wipe another 1.5 inches.
2: Love the "fang marks"!
3: Yes. A bit of a delay but it works great. When plugged in, I can simply say "hey Siri". Love that!
4: Yes, less embarassing, as I always have it way too loud.
5: Yup. would be nice and easy for them to do.

1: Yes, it is very wide and distracting. I wish it would wipe another 1.5 inches.
2: Love the "fang marks"!
3: Yes. A bit of a delay but it works great. When plugged in, I can simply say "hey Siri". Love that!
4: Yes, less embarassing, as I always have it way too loud.
5: Yup. would be nice and easy for them to do.

What sort of commands have you given 'Siri' for controlling the Model S, I'm not familiar with that feature?