Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The odd stuff - as noticed by us Aussies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Siri can control the car at all (but it would be cool if this were possible).
But you can say "read me the last email from David Smith" or "send a text message to Sarah Wong saying I'll be there in 20 minutes" or "read me the text message". And of course navigation and music management. I wish Siri worked a bit better with playing Podcasts though.

I don't think Siri can control the car at all (but it would be cool if this were possible).
But you can say "read me the last email from David Smith" or "send a text message to Sarah Wong saying I'll be there in 20 minutes" or "read me the text message". And of course navigation and music management. I wish Siri worked a bit better with playing Podcasts though.

Actually it is possible with an Apple Watch & the Remote S app.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really good!

And another odd thing...

i have come to really love the nav directions on the LHS of the dash much better than the map in the centre screen in fact. It is its own rotational map with directions including metres to the next turn. All very cool. BUT the last thing you want to do is adjust the volume as you are approaching a turn. It puts up this huge volume triangle right in the middle of your directions and it just lingers there afterwards. Totally unnecessary. When the nav thingo is on, the volume thingo should just be a little line at the bottom. Such a hog.

they have fixed the car so that when you take your foot off the brake, the car does not roll backwards. At least for a few seconds.

but they have not fixed it to not roll back when you take your foot off the accellerator when the car has eased irself to a stop on an incline....another small nuisance...

Do you have CREEP mode on or just HILL HOLD?

Do you have CREEP mode on or just HILL HOLD?

Ahh, I have creep off.

i come from an i3 that doesn't give you the option of creep and rather liked it. To me an electric car with creep was kinda, well, creepy.

I believe a lot of insane P85D drivers like creep off so that from a stopped position they can rest their foot on the accellerator pedal waiting for the light to go green without creeping over the line. Saves time in going from brake to accellerator when speed is all important. (I am not one if those).

The only observation I was making here though was that Tesla did not make the forward motor with a ratchet to prevent unintended reverse motion. I don't mean a physical ratchet of course, just an electronic one. They programmed it to extend the brakes for a few seconds only, irrespective of the direction of movement of the motor.

I read somewhere that if you press the record button on the steering wheel it can also store a comment/message for Tesla.

Yes, just start the recording with "Note" and it's stored. However they won't get it unless you email/call your service center and tell them who you are and that you left a note. It doesn't (yet?) automatically upload.

If you start your recording with "bug report" instead of note, I believe it goes straight to engineering. See Voice Controls | Forums | Tesla Motors and search for "bug report", or page 39 of the manual.

And another odd thing...

The aussie charge port covers don't auto close - unlike the US P85D.

So when the auto snake eventually gets installed, they will have to program the thing to slam the port cover shut when it has finished charging...

(given the whole idea is that the car will come when summoned and put itself to bed...Can't even get my kids to do that!)

And another odd thing...
---------

Am I the only one concerned that the nav screen does not let your drop a pin or marker or have a 'mark current location' button? Am I missing something here? Every other navman system I have ever had has had that. Any solutions?

----------

And another related thing...

Don't you hate how the second you zoom in on the map, the triangle (car) is no longer centred but starts drifting off?

How do people solve the problem of needing to zoom in to see which particular trajectory they should take but so as to minimise human casualties?

Last edited:
And another odd thing...

Am I the only one concerned that the nav screen does not let your drop a pin or marker or have a 'mark current location' button? Am I missing something here? Every other navman system I have ever had has had that. Any solutions?

I complained about it a year ago. A recent software update fixed this. If you press and hold your finger at a spot for a bit, it'll pop a temporary marker in place.

Be sure you send these observations off to Tesla. So far, maybe a third of the comments I sent to Tesla after my first road trip have been fixed. (Or at least "kinda fixed".) I have high hopes for Version 7.0 to address many of the remaining ones.

And another odd thing...
---------

----------

Don't you hate how the second you zoom in on the map, the triangle (car) is no longer centred but starts drifting off?

How do people solve the problem of needing to zoom in to see which particular trajectory they should take but so as to minimise human casualties?
Use the + or - button on the screen to zoom and you won't have that problem.
What's with all the complaining?. I reckon the list of fantastic things that the model s offers would far exceed the gripes.

- - - Updated - - -

Indicator stalk on the wrong side. A common fualt with European cars too. However, Japanese owned American Made cars, eg Toyota Kluger, Nissan Pathfinder, have it on the correct RHD position.

Adam.
Ummm, no it's not on the wrong side. i've been driving european cars for a long time, so for me it's correct.

And another odd thing:

Before I got the Tesla, I read many reviews, and many of them always ridiculed the visors as being elcheapo...

I was always disappointed that the mirrors on the visors didn't have lights that came on to allow you to powder your nose as you were driving.

BUT tonight, I noticed that the dome lights on the roof actually shine into your face and do a reasonable job of illuminating your face as you look i into the visor mirrors in the evening. Also even when the DOME lights are set to auto, they still come on and off manually as you drive. Neat eh?

The little button at the top of the nav screen, that shows whether you are in "north up" or "direction up", will switch to crosshairs when it thinks you intentionally moved the map. Just press it and it will go back to centering on the car.

The little button at the top of the nav screen, that shows whether you are in "north up" or "direction up", will switch to crosshairs when it thinks you intentionally moved the map. Just press it and it will go back to centering on the car.

Yes true. But the moment you press it, the map zooms back out. So you can't drive with a zoomed-in centred car/triangle.