Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Official Vinyl Wrap Color Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These all look very, very cool. My other half's Model X is coming soon and I'm researching; so are 3M and Avery the main two (or only two) color wraps out there? Anyone have a place they recommend in the Maryland area (DC suburb)? Thanks in advance. (Off to explore other threads....)

image.jpeg
These all look very, very cool. My other half's Model X is coming soon and I'm researching; so are 3M and Avery the main two (or only two) color wraps out there? Anyone have a place they recommend in the Maryland area (DC suburb)? Thanks in advance. (Off to explore other threads....)
While not a color wrap in itself, you could also look into XPEL Stealth wrap. This transparent matte wrap has changed my S' color quite a bit, making the metallic particles stand out more visibly due to less reflection
image.jpeg

Reactions: RopDaddy
Thanks, that's interesting looking; is that the same car in the picture? The color looks very different, wow!
It is the same car, yes, although in the top picture the skies were covered with grayish clouds. The Midgnight Silver Metallic has a nice gray color that comes close to what cameras calibrate to, 18% gray. It reflects the sky color very well and makes the car take on that color too. Cut out the reflective glare from the clear coat finish layer and the car's color really gets to "shine".
Dare I ask how much these wraps cost?
I live in The Netherlands, so I don't know how much these wraps cost in the US. I paid a little over €5000, but you get a self-healing cover in return that can withstand most scratches and stone chips.

Does anyone know what brand/color most closely matches Tesla's Multicoat Red? I'm planning on having some interior components wrapped in red and while they won't be side by side I'd like it to be as close as possible.

Does anyone know what brand/color most closely matches Tesla's Multicoat Red? I'm planning on having some interior components wrapped in red and while they won't be side by side I'd like it to be as close as possible.
What a great idea! I don't know but I remember seeing just about every shade of red possible. I would visit a vinyl wrap place and check out the colors. I would love to see after pics!

On a similar topic, I've invited the guys who did my wrap to the next Denver Tesla Club meeting on Nov 19th. I'll post details in the coming week to the Rocky Mtn Region forum. PM me if you're interested...

What a great idea! I don't know but I remember seeing just about every shade of red possible. I would visit a vinyl wrap place and check out the colors. I would love to see after pics!

On a similar topic, I've invited the guys who did my wrap to the next Denver Tesla Club meeting on Nov 19th. I'll post details in the coming week to the Rocky Mtn Region forum. PM me if you're interested...

I'm still trying to narrow down a place to do it in Houston. I'm going to do do gloss black on all the chrome so the inside will be kind of a reverse of the outside if I can find the right shop.

I'm actually in Louisiana now :( ...the military has seen fit to move me twice since I made this account but I do miss Colorado. I think I'm going to be the 2nd Tesla owner where I'm at now.

yKCKEMy.jpg

ELwVlh8.jpg

bU8lWfN.jpg

Yes, it's Black Reflective film. It's most effective with non-oblique light:
O45s2lO.jpg

I find I don't have the freedom to edit my posts here, so 'nuff said.

pgx2fNs.jpg

This is how it looks to police LIDAR. Note: chrome in headlights is blacked-out, and interior of projectors is simply painted white (lights are not on). Further, there are LIDAR jammers is the headlights.

The purpose of the reflective film is safety of course. Since these pictures, I've lowered the height of the front and back corners so the film is much less noticeable except when hit with directed light. The camera captures much more reflectance than the eye does; you just can't see the reflective as it's gloss black. Of course on the car's sides it still goes from the lower crease, all the way down over the rocker covers.

I remember back in the Olden Days, liking the look of whitewalls. So I've made my own out of SOLAS film. ('Safety Of Life At Sea") The most reflective you can get.

ZhPmY3J.jpg

As I'd applied it to a 45 degree bevel on the tires, it's most noticeable coming and going, and is almost magical.

Again, you don't see the black reflective as the camera does.

Wait so can you wrap interior parts too? I'm wondering if you could change the headliner color by doing a color wrap like you would with the exterior? That would be awesome to match the outer color in the interior.