Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Oil Companies?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of people living in cities who, each evening, roam their neighborhood to find a street parking spot. That's certainly true in Boston and New York City. Unless there is effectively 100% coverage of such spots, with the equivalent of parking meters, there's going to be an important gap in the EV market.

It was possible to tarmac the whole world for ICEs. A relatively small matter by comparison to install inductive charging pads or plug-in power points on a fraction of those roads used for parking. Nothing to stop something on board cars reporting public charge absorbed to whoever needs to know for billing purposes.

There are a lot of people living in cities who, each evening, roam their neighborhood to find a street parking spot.
Sounds like an opportunity for autonomous mode. Let the car roam the neighborhood for a charging spot, or even wait in a queue to use a centralized SuperCharger. Once charged, it'll find a nearby parking space and wait to be summoned in the morning. Then overnight charging/parking doesn't have to be walking distance from housing, freeing up street space for other uses such as pedestrian and bicycle lanes.

come on really, one does not have to plug in every night, as long as a FAST charging opportunity presents itself every 48 hours or so (city driving, think, go for lunch @ supercharger location) problem solved. Otherwise, slow 110v/15A source is an easier hill to climb for wide area applications. (see northern climes and block heater applications)
so, the answer lies in supercharger density with in cities and low volt/amp availability in wide availability which is far easier.

come on really, one does not have to plug in every night, as long as a FAST charging opportunity presents itself every 48 hours or so (city driving, think, go for lunch @ supercharger location) problem solved. Otherwise, slow 110v/15A source is an easier hill to climb for wide area applications. (see northern climes and block heater applications)
so, the answer lies in supercharger density with in cities and low volt/amp availability in wide availability which is far easier.

Easier said then done. Just what a potential buyer wants to year, "go for lunch @supercharger location". For lots of people lunch is eaten at their desk or skipped entirely. Just imagine how many superchargers you would need and then after you've finished charging you'll be driving around looking for a parking location. So much for a 30 minute lunch! Dealing with charging needed in cities and densely populated areas will not be easy and will take a long time. Incremental improvement at best for the near term.

Popup Batteryswap station located in the middle of the cities.
So people that didn't manage to find time to charge the car can just use the swap station.
Why popup battery swap stations?
Because those can be repositioned as soon as demand grows/declines.
So in cities with a weak city charger infrastructure, in the beginning there can be a high number of swap stations, as infrastructure improves and people tend to use the less expensive chargers, those popup charger can be moved to different cities, countries, markets etc.

There are a lot of people living in cities who, each evening, roam their neighborhood to find a street parking spot. That's certainly true in Boston and New York City. Unless there is effectively 100% coverage of such spots, with the equivalent of parking meters, there's going to be an important gap in the EV market.

That's the kind of thing that needs a bit of planning. You say you want to get a plug-in, city looks at applications, picks a street to enable, adds key infrastructure, you buy and register a BEV and pay for a charger, they install the charger and give you a designated spot. Allow spots within a set distance of your residence, moving your spot closer if possible when they enable closer streets. Needs funding of course, but if done right you separate the underkyig electrical infrastructure from he charger so you don't reserve the spot until people have the car.

I don't want to hijack the thread but MikeL's image reminded me of the scene at the gas station in Toy Story - Was this an early, veiled dig at the oil companies?

Dinoco_Station.jpg

I don't want to hijack the thread but MikeL's image reminded me of the scene at the gas station in Toy Story - Was this an early, veiled dig at the oil companies?

View attachment 42927

No, it's a play on Sinclair gasoline, which had a green dinosaur as the logo. It was always my favorite gas as a kid because of the dinosaur. It also influenced the name of the family in the sitcom Dinosaurs, whose last name was Sinclair.

59346_original.jpg

Not only that, but look again at Dinoco's canopy stanchions: they spell "VW".

For another thought regarding Big Oil, read again fund titan Jeremy Grantham in last week's Barron's - from the same article in which he extols Tesla. He is of the mind that "Peak Oil" is misunderstood by 180 degrees: It should not refer to peak oil production....but rather peak demand. And that, cowboys 'n cupcakes, is a far, far more dire situation for that industry.

OK, I was afraid of admitting this it because I thought it aged me too much, but I gotta go with Rolo on this one.

I couldn't remember the name of the gas station, but I distinctly remember there was one gas station that had a brontosaurous (for the younger crowd this dino was reclassified scientifically as one of the Apatosaurus family of dinos, kinda like how Pluto was reclassified as "not a planet"). I distinctly remember liking that station, and playing with a plastic replica of this dino that I think we actually got from the gas station. (I could be wrong on that last fact, but I remember gas stations used to give out toy cars and glasses if you did a 'fill-up'). Of course I was so young, I didn't know about fossil fuels, so I didn't get the irony.

I couldn't remember the name of the gas station, but I distinctly remember there was one gas station that had a brontosaurous (for the younger crowd this dino was reclassified scientifically as one of the Apatosaurus family of dinos, kinda like how Pluto was reclassified as "not a planet"). I distinctly remember liking that station, and playing with a plastic replica of this dino

Could be wrong but I think the brand was SINCLAIR.

Brianman, you are good! You got two out of three. Of course finding a particular stuffed animal is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I give you full credit. Your drinks are on me at Tesla Connect. Beer and cookies in the hot tub again, or something more "civilized"?