Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only reason I doubt the purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Wednesday I will have one of those days I have 15 times a year where I drive close to 300 miles. I start my day in Atlanta and driving close to Macon. I return home for about 2 1/2 hours where I could (once I have the model S) plug in. I will have traveled 130 miles in the morning. Then 2 1/2 hours at home. I will then I will then travel 165 miles round trip. So, my day has 295 miles. I could take my other care of course, but I would prefer to go all EV. So, with real world expected range, do you all think this is possible? On a 220 outlet that I plan on installing (or is it 240 this always confuses me), how much range will I restore in that 2 1/2 hours. Is this a realistic trip in this vehicle or I am real pushing it. I don't mind traveling 55-60 mph. I make calls in the car and get a great deal done. I do plan on getting the rims that add up to 5%. That's part of my plan. As mentioned, this happens about 15 times a year for me. Otherwise, I will travel less than 200 miles a day. Also, any thoughts on the battery wear and tear to do a full range charge 15 X a year? Thanks all. I an interested in everyone's thoughts.

I would recommend installing the 100A HPC. That way you could charge about 100 miles in those two hours and you'd have no worries whatsoever. However, with a 50A receptacle, I think you would have enough margin to make it through the day. I don't think 15 or 20 times per year of those trips will unduly stress the batter.

Of course the pack will lose some of its range over the years. Another good reason to have the HPC available. Plus the HPC looks great and it will be very convenient.

Yep, 100A HPC or being able to charge at your halfway points will go a long ways towards making the trip easy. Topping off during the day will also be easier on the battery than trying to make it on one charge, too.

You can see the HPC at the bottom of the options page. It's $1,200, but there could be a significant installation cost, depending on the location of your electrical service panel in relation to the location you want to install the HPC.

Yes, you can use the HPC daily because you can dial down the amperage. So when you have lots of time to charge, i.e. overnight, then you can dial it down to charge at battery friendly low amps. But the higher amps are available when you need to charge up the car quickly.

Even though I won't need to do a quick charge nearly as often as you, I'm buying the HPC for the convenience factor. I can leave the universal connector in the car at all times and just plug in from the HPC each night. To me, it's worth the added expense. Plus, I might be able to make it available to travelers - we'll see.

But I do believe with a NEMA 14-50 (standard 240v) plug you are OK. I get about 24 miles per hour at 30 amps and the newer models pull 40 amps and should do 30 miles per hour. So you should get an extra 75 mile of range for your stopover. Then when at a destination ask for a 110v outlet. I have done similar with my Roadster many times.

As for 220 vs 240. They are considered the same. Like you sometimes see 110 vs 120. Just measure to see what your utility provides. I am normally 240 here.

Thanks I will add that to my order from day one. It makes sense to me. I did not know I could turn it down. Like I said, I do have some range anxiety. I travel normally 100-150 miles a day. A few times a year I have a killer 300 mile day. I usually make it home for lunch even on days like that. So, charging does work for me. Thanks all.

Can I butt in on this discussion a bit? It brought a question/scenario into my head and I can't think of anywhere else for it.

What about generators? If you lose power and needed to charge up, at what rate would you expect to charge from an ordinary ole gas generator? A bit circuitous to use gas to fuel an EV, yes, but if you ended up going all EV in your home and lost power...

Funny you should mention that. I was toying around with the idea (for different reasons) of a whole home UPS fueled by NG. I am curious what the $/mi. would look like for that but haven't done the math yet.

Funny you should mention that. I was toying around with the idea (for different reasons) of a whole home UPS fueled by NG. I am curious what the $/mi. would look like for that but haven't done the math yet.
That's probably a good thing to have. The times you'd need it though (your grid power was totally out) are hopefully in short enough duration that it won't make too much of a difference.

The home we are currently building will actually have a propane generator for power outages. I assume the HPC will charge per usual as long as its on the right breaker, but I'm still curious about direct from a generator.

We have a natural gas whole home generator. I would still be reluctant to charge the vehicle while it is running. Our's is 12 KW Briggs and Stratton. The installer was very clear that while it powers the whole home, with an automatic transfer switch, that does not mean that you can turn everything on at once. He recommended only 1 of the 2 air conditioner compressors on at once and only some appliances and or lights. During outages, we run as few things at once as possible. Also, even with limited use, the Natural Gas used over a 24 hour period of time is very expensive. The generator is not exactly efficient.

That all being the case, I don't think charging a car is part of the deal.