Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing I want is a smoother ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I want is a smoother ride.
How can I get that? I'm 50 years old and I use my LR RWD model 3 for commuting and going on vacation. The roads in the Toronto area are crap. Lots of potholes especially in the spring.
I don't care about lowering the car, making it perform better on the track or such things . I understand that it a priority for other people and I get that, but it's not something I am looking to spend money on.

What aftermarket parts are available that will give me a smoother, softer ride so I don't feel the bumps in the crappy roads I drive?
I know there are parts available from vendors that claim to give a softer ride, but they also seem to be primarily used to lower the car, with softer ride being a second thought.
What can I do that is reasonably cost effective to improve the ride? Could it be as simple as changing the shocks? I don't know if the car even has shocks?
Thanks

In my experience lowering springs are always firmer even when they are progressive springs.
And the stock shocks are never firm enough for the aftermarket springs.

So I would toss the idea of getting aftermarket springs to soften your ride.

If your tires are already 18" then I don't know what to tell you.

Lower the pressure in your tires?
What pressure do you run?

The ride is actually pretty soft already. I was going over some bumps at >100 mph and the car felt floaty, like a sofa. It's also softer over bumps compared to my last car with sport suspension.

BTW, do you have the original suspension or the revised? People complained about the original ride and Tesla later made the 3 with softer springs.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Or drive in Detroit , they r horrible.
These cars r not soft riders. I've had Vettes, BMW, BENZ , all ride hard to firm. U can buy softer tires with higher sidewalls, but they wear faster.
If you want a soft ride, buy a big mushy Cadillac . This is not a soft ride. I've been in a 3, its no harder than my S. That said , my very hard compound summer tires are very different from my winter M&S tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I totally agree. I've had a Mazdaspeed 6 and a Mitsubishi Evolution and this ride is noticeably harsher. For wherever reason it's primarily potholes and highway joints... The rest of pretty good. I'm afraid the harshness it's going to induce rattles in the car prematurely. (I'm on the stock 18s at 41 PSI.)

I've heard good things about the MPP Comfort Coilovers. However just dropped an unplanned $5k on AP and FSD upgrade, so need to wait a bit.

I have the Model 3 P+ and switched from the stock 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 235/35 20 to 18" forged wheels and Michelin Primacy MXM4 and the ride and handling is great. The 20" wheels weigh about 30 lb and the 18" forged weigh about 18 lb 7 oz. Lighter wheels with a smaller diameter make a big difference in ride.

Reactions: InParadise
Glad I found this! Was just rattled by my first week with my new 3 performance. Been in an S for three years and loved the drive but all around way too big for me.
I love the agility and sport handling feel of the 3 and much better visibility for freeway driving. Great speed! ...but the 20” wheels were a bad choice for me, a good choice for my partner.
Hearing that the lighter 18” wheels could make all the difference Is hopeful... though I will lower to 40-42 psi first...

Funny thing is I went home for the weekend and drove my dads 2016 Camry around town for a couple of days. On my return drive, I pulled over in a couple of miles to check if my trunk was open because there was so much noise I was hearing.

these cars while expensive are loud on the inside and definitely not as comfortable as a 20k Camry. But we get other things to help mitigate some of those loses