Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a newer Tesla is that we can't transfer FSD, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the rub for a lot of people is they paid $5, $7, $10, $12, or however many thousands of dollars for FSD which still hasn’t really been delivered to them and when the time comes to get another Tesla and show brand loyalty all that is thrown out the window if they want to order another new one. Heck, even until recently the FSD beta wasn’t widely available so people who had paid thousands for the feature weren’t even allowed to participate in the beta. FSD and the associated summon and other features are still not fully production ready, if they ever will be. What happens if in 3 years Tesla decides the only way to make FSD actually fully work is to have LiDAR and radar sensors. Will all the people who paid for FSD get free hardware upgrades?

If this was an actual fully flushed out system or hardware like a speaker upgrade or whatever then I’d be more on the side of you need to pay in full again, but for something like this where you paid for future capabilities that still aren’t there by the time your lease is up or you need a new car it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to have to pay again and at the current elevated prices. That’s one reason I never bought it with my car because I don’t believe they’ll ever have it sorted out with the current equipment and hardware on the cars.

I think 50% off or soemthing for current owners with FSD who are ordering a new car would appease a lot of people.

I don’t think anyone is saying they’re the same in some sort of metaphysical navel-gazing sense.

I’m saying it’s a difference without a distinction in the context of this conversation.

It's hardly a "metaphysical navel-gazing sense." They don't transfer your stereo for one set of reasons, they don't transfer FSD for a different set of reasons. Physical features are not the same as software ones and aren't really relevant to the conversation of what they should do with software.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If this was an actual fully flushed out system or hardware like a speaker upgrade or whatever then I’d be more on the side of you need to pay in full again, but for something like this where you paid for future capabilities that still aren’t there by the time your lease is up or you need a new car it seems like a bit of a slap in the face to have to pay again and at the current elevated prices.

I think @Seminole said it best with his/her comment from above. Excellent perspective and reasoning for why some might think FSD should be transferable. For me, it would be nice but not terribly important. I paid “only” $5000 for FSD when I bought my vehicle back in 2019. While I don’t think the current state/functionality of FSD is worth even the original $5000 that I paid, I still believe in its potential. So, I would probably select/buy it again on a new vehicle, if it were still in the $5000-$6000 range. At the current $15,000 price tag, no way…

Last edited:
I still can't believe people actually would buy FSD, esp with a monthly option now. That certainly makes Tesla very rich for software that's not even ready.

Almost every review I've seen lean toward not getting it, even at lower prices than now. Some, like others have stated, can't even use it and have paid.

Maybe it being called "Full Self Driving" is what gets me and is a misnomer that's going to be corrected soon, but for me, unless I can get in the backseat and just fall asleep from say, bay area to Los Angeles, I don't think I'd ever pay $$ for that and even if it was able to do that, don't think it'll be worth on cars for $100k-$200k as Elon states.

I agree it's a total scam that a few folks here have posted.

Also, would anyone really want to use their $100k+ Model X as a self driving taxi for some drunk driver to get home and possibly throw up in your car? (Sorta like the stupid idea of some expensive fully solar car that you park outside to charge when it's $150k+). Just a fancy toy for people with too much $$.

Price != Worth

All things considered I think $750 is not that far off the actual value of FSD.

Conclusion: FSD is a scam
Although I generally disagree with almost every opinion I've seen you give on the forum since I have been reading, I wholeheartedly agree with you here. It's a scam.

In relation to the earlier discussion, FSD can be "purchased" or can be a subscription. This is completely different and has no relation to a color choice, or other physical, built in option. Think of it this way: If you have a Spotify subscription (lifetime, monthly, whatever) used in your Spotify app in your Tesla, does that go with the car when you sell/trade it? No, it wouldn't because it is tied to your account. There is no physical difference between an AP car and an FSD car.

Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable. If you paid for an upgraded sound system in one car do you think they should transfer it to your new car? Yes FSD is “just software” but IMHO it is the same concept.

Yes FSD is way overpriced, but you can get a monthly subscription, which is far cheaper anyway.
What sucks, though, is FSD also doesn’t stay with the car and its new owner.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash and ucmndd
not worth it!

If tesla allow FSD to stay in our account, ill be happy to pay them 15k. It will lock me into their ecosystem and I will never buy another brand. Too bad tho.

wishful thinking tho, was hoping tesla really need to push EOQ numbers and offer one week during Xmas for their loyal customers to buy in and hold onto for life! Liked some older MS with free SC!

Never ceases to amaze me that people think FSD should be transferrable. If you paid for an upgraded sound system in one car do you think they should transfer it to your new car? Yes FSD is “just software” but IMHO it is the same concept.
My first car was a VW Beetle. I put a top of the line Polk audio system in it, huge barrel subwoofer in the back. When I sold the car, I stripped the Polk out and put it into my next car.

FSD is an option. Sure, you can get more resale value with it, But you should have the ability to strip it out and put it in your next car.

not worth it!

If tesla allow FSD to stay in our account, ill be happy to pay them 15k. It will lock me into their ecosystem and I will never buy another brand. Too bad tho.

wishful thinking tho, was hoping tesla really need to push EOQ numbers and offer one week during Xmas for their loyal customers to buy in and hold onto for life! Liked some older MS with free SC!
I'm a recent Tesla owner, from what happened in the last 2 two months with the pricing strategy that they had I'm seeing that they don't care about brand loyalty.

Once they have your money they don't care about you. You can forget about them throwing current Tesla owners any bones.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
A software thing that could be done with a push of a button is not equivalent to physical features

You are missing the point, you bought something (hardware or software) that enhances the car. And let’s remember the whole car is really just one big software bundle anyway! But let’s look at this from a software perspective.

If Tesla transferred FSD when you bought a new car should this be done in perpetuity? Would owners get all upgrades and bug fixes for FSD for free, forever? No matter whether you think FSD is overpriced or not, Tesla needs a revenue stream for this product. Almost no software vendor out their offers a buy it once and we support it forever product.

And if Tesla did allow the “current” version to transfer and freeze capabilities, that would also be a very bad idea in allowing cars with out of date FSD software on the road.

Perhaps Tesla will offer a transfer fee, as was noted above. I think that would be a reasonable.

Reactions: GSP
A shocking number of people just don’t seem to understand how it works.

FSD is a capability/option on the car. When you sell the car, you get the market value of that option. Just like leather seats or a sunroof.

I can completely understand being frustrated that you took a bath on the ridiculously priced FSD package and the market values it at a tiny fraction of its original price - but that doesn’t make it Tesla’s problem to transfer your leather seats over to a new car for you.
I agree, but should there not be some compensation for those who purchased FSD and had to wait years for an actual operational and useable version while putting endless miles on the vehicle and diminishing its useable life? This is my primary gripe. I understand that it was sold as part of the car, but it never really came close to its "coming soon" claims until very recently.

I'm a recent Tesla owner, from what happened in the last 2 two months with the pricing strategy that they had I'm seeing that they don't care about brand loyalty.

Once they have your money they don't care about you. You can forget about them throwing current Tesla owners any bones.
Bro. That’s any car company.

It’s not personal, it’s just business.

Reactions: GSP
I agree, but should there not be some compensation for those who purchased FSD and had to wait years for an actual operational and useable version while putting endless miles on the vehicle and diminishing its useable life? This is my primary gripe. I understand that it was sold as part of the car, but it never really came close to its "coming soon" claims until very recently.
I’d take $15k in stock priced the same as when I bought the car. 😁

I still question the comment that it really came close to its "coming soon" claims until very recently. Until it totally drives itself with me in the back, I still think it's all a scam.

I'm surprise people will seriously pay $15k for this and even lower amounts look pretty scammy to me. Musk is really smart with his recent stock sales, constantly hyping promising things, but not delivering on-time. Has FSD ever had much/any resale value?

Unlike the price cuts currently which I have some sympathy for, I sorta don't have much for FSD buyers. It was really believing the hype engine of it and missing out that it will be priced higher and higher. Folks just have more $$ than me and want to just divert it here I suppose, but the marketing of FSD seems to be a pump and dump that if you don't get it now, you'll miss out when we charge you $100k for it.