Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a newer Tesla is that we can't transfer FSD, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure the distinction you're trying to make...? When Tesla gets ownership, they remove FSD so they can sell it again. By any measure, that's scummy. Not sure how anyone could disagree?
Let me try to explain it to you this way.

If you pay for FSD in your Tesla and sell the car to me, even after you notify Tesla via App or Web to transfer ownership to me, FSD will NOT be removed. That was my first example. Tesla never took ownership of the vehicle.

But if Tesla buys the car from you, they can do ANYTHING they want with FSD. Keep it, delete it, or change it to EAP. They owned it again. And if it goes to Auction, it will most probably be removed (so a future buyer might purchase it). Tesla owned it a second time and has every legal right to do with it as they please when it is their property.

Does this help?

• Disagree
Reactions: woolymammoth17
Let me try to explain it to you this way.

If you pay for FSD in your Tesla and sell the car to me, even after you notify Tesla via App or Web to transfer ownership to me, FSD will NOT be removed. That was my first example. Tesla never took ownership of the vehicle.

But if Tesla buys the car from you, they can do ANYTHING they want with FSD. Keep it, delete it, or change it to EAP. They owned it again. And if it goes to Auction, it will most probably be removed.

Does this help?
No help needed here, but thank you.

Let me help you out. The premise of this thread is that FSD should be an account level feature and not a VIN level feature.

Many of the people in this thread are arguing against themselves. First, they say FSD is a feature just like car color, sunroof, leather, etc., and that this is why it has to be a VIN level feature and not an account level feature that can be deleted, added, transferred, etc., and it's crazy to suggest otherwise. Then later on the same people say "If Tesla owns it they can do anything they want with it cuz it's theirs!!!!" even if now Tesla deletes, adds, transfers FSD. The two arguments are diametrically opposed.

It is scummy because Tesla can make it an account level feature as it suits them, but we cannot. Tesla can delete, add, transfer, etc., at their whim, and we can't. The original purchaser bought a feature, and they made the feature no longer exist.

Also, when a feature is physical, it still exists. The old rims still exist if changed out. The old seats still exist. FSD is software, and no longer exists at Tesla's whim.

Reactions: mobilesuit818
No help needed here, but thank you.

Let me help you out. The premise of this thread is that FSD should be an account level feature and not a VIN level feature.

Many of the people in this thread are arguing against themselves. First, they say FSD is a feature just like car color, sunroof, leather, etc., and that this is why it has to be a VIN level feature and not an account level feature that can be deleted, added, transferred, etc., and it's crazy to suggest otherwise. Then later on the same people say "If Tesla owns it they can do anything they want with it cuz it's theirs!!!!" even if now Tesla deletes, adds, transfers FSD. The two arguments are diametrically opposed.

It is scummy because Tesla can make it an account level feature as it suits them, but we cannot. Tesla can delete, add, transfer, etc., at their whim, and we can't. The original purchaser bought a feature, and they made the feature no longer exist.

Also, when a feature is physical, it still exists. The old rims still exist if changed out. The old seats still exist. FSD is software, and no longer exists at Tesla's whim.
If you want a closer analogy, it's like paint, tint, or PPF, something that can only be applied, but original is destroyed if removed. The only extra function Tesla is able to do is delete it, they aren't "transferring" it (even if original owner happens to buy the same car back after it goes through Tesla's hands). Them deleting it from a car they auction doesn't affect the original owner anyways, not sure why it matters to them?

If you want an account level version of FSD, that's what the subscription is for.

Last edited:
I honestly think FSD will eventually switch to a price per mile model.
I REALLY hope not .. too many car makers are moving to different forms of "you never own it but you can rent it" models. Eventually they are going to start charging you a fee to open the filler cap to top up with gasoline (and no, I'm not joking).

Pricing "per use" is legitimate when each use incurs cost for the provider (e.g. phone or internet service), but when its a pure money grab (like BMW trying to charge rent for using seat warmers) then that is BS imho.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure the distinction you're trying to make...? When Tesla gets ownership, they remove FSD so they can sell it again. By any measure, that's scummy. Not sure how anyone could disagree?
why is it scummy? Someone owns a car, makes changes to it (adding stuff on, removing stuff), then sells it on based on value of the car after they have made those changes. How is that "scummy" and why is it any different to (say) you adding a deck to your home and hoping to sell the house for more as a result?

Lets be clear, Tesla does not value customer service. If you own 1 or more Tesla's and want another one, no deals for you. No loaners for same day service, no car washes for serviced vehicles, EDD's are at their whim and if its 6 months early or 6 months later than initial EDD, too bad. Take it now or they cancel and keep your deposit.

Oh, you struck out with FSDbeta, you may get it reinstated in 2 weeks or 6 months, who knows? So what that you spent $15K, Tesla give it and Tesla take it away.

Tesla removed USS from 3 and Y cars over 3 months ago. New owners no parking assistance, no summon, no Autopark. Nothing other than "soon" to be solved. Many not even warned about this prior to payment.

So to think Tesla would even care about transferring FSD seems crazy when they have not demonstrated any concern for customer service.

I REALLY hope not .. too many car makers are moving to different forms of "you never own it but you can rent it" models. Eventually they are going to start charging you a fee to open the filler cap to top up with gasoline (and no, I'm not joking).

Pricing "per use" is legitimate when each use incurs cost for the provider (e.g. phone or internet service), but when its a pure money grab (like BMW trying to charge rent for using seat warmers) then that is BS imho.
It makes sense though at least as an option once FSD is actually really really a thing and you can not pay attention.

Or they need to lower the price because 15k is nuts.

It makes sense though at least as an option once FSD is actually really really a thing and you can not pay attention.

Or they need to lower the price because 15k is nuts.

People have trouble as it is paying rent, heat, gas, etc...Elon posted that cars with FSD should be worth $100k - $200k way back. There's a point where simply, 99% of the people in the world won't be able to afford it so it really doesn't matter what it costs.

Like if a comet was hitting the earth and Tesla says you can get on a Falcon rocket for $10 billion to get off, we'll just all end up dead. And not having FSD isn't likely to kill you without it when you drive yourself. More likely, driving cross country on a random trip sleeping in back seat with FSD will probably get you or someone else killed I'd guess in the forseable future.

• Informative
I believe they don't let you transfer the FSD because they are responsible for upgrading equipment in the car when needed for an FSD upgrade for free. If you need HW4 they have to upgrade your car. They have to limit it to the original car due to future costs. The major reason FSD is so expensive is because of future upgrade costs.

I believe they don't let you transfer the FSD because they are responsible for upgrading equipment in the car when needed for an FSD upgrade for free. If you need HW4 they have to upgrade your car. They have to limit it to the original car due to future costs. The major reason FSD is so expensive is because of future upgrade costs.
This is an interesting point. I had not thought of it from the perspective of the promised "full self driving computer" in HW3 and the high likelihood that it will not be capable of FSD and need physical hardware upgrades.

The argument here shall not be if FSD shall be transferable. The argument shall be a non FSD transferable policy definitely prevent ppl like OP and me to buy a new Tesla.
You guys could argue the leather seat shall not be transferable to a new car. But it will be my decision not to buy that brand if the leather seat is not transferable. fair?

Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle. Make FSD an account wide feature/license (Per car), so if you have 2 Tesla, you need at least 2 FSD licenses but what Tesla is not liable for is the hardware requirement. So you can have an FSD license but if you don't have a car that is compatible with the current requirement for FSD, you will either have to pay for a retrofit OR get a new Tesla that supports the hardware.

This way, there's no liability of potential cost for Tesla to retrofit if someone wants FSD on an old/used Tesla. They still make money due to the license requirement/retrofit. Plus consumer can actually see that there are hardware upgrades/requirements for safety purposes.

Reactions: wkramer28451
I mean they certainly can whenever they want. But I don’t see any clear path to them ever doing so. Their preferred solution is clearly the monthly subscription.
Silicon Valley approach.

btw: that's where I'm at. Having personally bought 4 and always with FSD, pricing now dictates a monthly approach (particularly since break even is 6 years out). Also, for my wife's vehicle (she doesn't like AP) we'll only rent when we need to for long drives. If the price point had been lower I just would have purchased it.

Last edited:
Silicon Valley approach.

btw: that's where I'm at. Having personally bought 4 and always with FSD, pricing now dictates a monthly approach (particularly since break even is 6 years out). Also, for my wife's vehicle (she doesn't like AP) we'll only rent when we need to for long drives. If the price point had been lower I just would have purchased it.
You've bought FSD 4 (FOUR) times!?

My god. I am sorry.

Reactions: cdub