TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

the only thing what I and many other existing Tesla owners want to know that when battery upgrade o

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Kreativ1, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Kreativ1

Kreativ1 New Member

the only thing what I and other existing Tesla owners want to know that when battery upgrade option would be available?

• Disagree x 2
  2. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

I'm not holding my breath on this one, they don't seem to want to do battery upgrades, they rather sell you an entirely new car =(.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

battery upgrades? maybe for 60 owners via software updates, however for most every other owner of an S or X else there is little chance of battery swaps or upgrades at this point in time.

• Like x 1
  4. Stevebb

Stevebb Member

Maybe in a few years after a new battery cell design?

5. richrootes

richrootes Member

The only option right now is via third parties on eBay - once your warranty has expired of course

If Tesla themselves won't do it, someone will fill the void!

• Like x 1
  6. R0b_

R0b_ Member

If you were to get an eBay / salvage battery, is it plug and play or would you have to get the car re-coded to recognize you now have a 90 vs the 60 it had before?

7. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

It's part of the battery upgrade process check out @wk057 work on this.

8. Petra

Petra Member

Whenever their battery manufacturing capacity/supply significantly exceeds what's needed to build cars and grid storage would be my guess. If they need every battery they can make to get cars off the line and Powerpacks/Powerwalls out the door, then it would be silly to divert supply for a battery upgrade program. I'd say give it a few years.

9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

I predict that in the future, there will be people upgrading the battery packs on their EV's and repurposing the old packs as home electricity storage to reduce those costs.

As Tesla's approach their million mile longevity goal for their cars, the older battery packs will find new uses.

10. kev1n

kev1n Member

battery upgrades would be nice to know but honestly this question has been asked multiple times and there isnt an official answer from Tesla.

my personal opinion i think is the battery is the least of the problems. i would be more worried about the computer components of the car. battery will not die, but it will degrade in quality(charge level)

11. animorph

animorph Member

Kind of like getting an ICE manufacturer to upgrade your engine to the bigger one you didn't order originally?

• Like x 1
  12. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

Except, Tesla said all along the batteries would be upgradeable, and even recommended holding off until you can get a 20kW jump to make it make sense from a consumer perspective.

13. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They have not been saying that "all along". There have been very specific instances where Tesla has upgraded the battery in the Model S and Musk did say a little while ago that it would be possible in the future but there has never been an official upgrade policy for the Model S or X.

14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

At some point, I expect Tesla will add battery replacement/upgrade options - possibly only for S/X cars initially, to provide increased value for the S/X cars vs. 3/Y.

Once Tesla starts doing battery replacement/upgrades, they may be able to refurbish the returned battery packs, and get them operating well enough to provide them as a lower cost option for the replacement/upgrade than buying a new battery pack.

For example, when a 90 owner upgrades to a 100 battery pack, Tesla could refurbish the 90 pack to get back most of the range, and then sell the refurbished pack to a 40, 60 or 75 owner at a lower price than a brand new pack, with a reasonable warranty.

15. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Yea but that totally goes against the philosophy of being green. I would love to maximize the Model S as long as I can like 5-10 years. I would love to have more range in it, otherwise I love my model now. I wouldn't have to deal with transfers custom plate, custom stereo subwoofer, tint, hov stickers, etc and have to redo all that in the next car. It's time and money

I think for me sweet spot is 280-300 miles. I like to be able to drive to Yosemite or Zion or Death Valley driving around sight seeing and maximizing the day without having to waste time to drive back out to SC to charge during the day. Just max charge before going in and on the way out to go home or hotel.

Able to skip one or two SC location to save time. Sleep over a friend house where there is no SC near by and no 240v

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, I would like a battery upgrade but based on my current battery, that's going to be over ten years down the road.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I generally have to stop about as often as there are SCs regardless of battery (or gas tank) situation :) The main reason for bigger battery lust is to drive on routes not covered by SCs and get off of the boring freeways. Having to take road trips on freeways (without going miles out of your way) is probably the biggest downside to the Tesla.

• Like x 1