Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Optimal vs Less than Optimal Time to Buy a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so here it is folks

How to approach buying a Tesla or any electric car with the proposed end of $7,500 tax credit next month

Now might be the time to buy. Or wait and pay $7500 more. Now that the $1000 referral credit is gone, free unlimited supercharging is ending this year this seems like the time.

Tesla has frozen sales of inventory cars rumor is they will likely reopen sales on them toward end of Q4 to max out on deliveries since custom orders won’t be ready in time. I am sure there will be a run on inventory vehicles. With the Tax credit ending and unlimited supercharging ending now might be the last opportunity to custom order a Model S or X before these benefits expire.

I think people were expecting big changes in design this quarter I’m surprised absolutely nothing changed. Kinda unusual

Last edited:
What is the Optimal vs Less than Optimal time to buy?

I bought my Model S P100D late Dec 2016 build at an optimal time.

I bought my wife's Model X100D at a less than optimal time. Early April 2017 build

But I really feel lucky to own 2 Teslas..

Finally the government is doing something right by getting rid of a rebate that is just making the rich richer!! Dude you bought two 100k plus cars within 6 months of each other!!! Lucky is an understatement. All you Tesla owners, have absolutely no business being able to get a $7500 federal rebate!!! You don't need it!!!

Finally the government is doing something right by getting rid of a rebate that is just making the rich richer!! Dude you bought two 100k plus cars within 6 months of each other!!! Lucky is an understatement. All you Tesla owners, have absolutely no business being able to get a $7500 federal rebate!!! You don't need it!!!

I think you are missing the point of the tax credit (there is no federal rebate). It is not to buy a car, but to buy an electric car. I could get an Audi A8+, but get tax credit on the EV... Same credit you can get on the Leaf, not to buy a Versa, but to get the EV.

Also, if you don't have enough tax liability, no credit.

I seriously doubt Congress will end the credit. Call your representative and let them know your view.