Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The option to purchase FSD disappeared in MyTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD upgrade changed to $5k after delivery. Seems like some existing owners can still order for $4k, but some are getting it for $5k. Wonder if this is somehow related.
Initially I thought that maybe AP2.0 or MCU1 were showing $5k due to the need to upgrade hardware, but the website configurator is showing $5k for new orders, so who knows. I think they should have kept $4k for anyone who ordered before today and $5k for anyone who orders after today, since that would have been fair and kept everyone happy.

Thank god I ordered mine with FSD a few weeks ago, or is it too early to celebrate? I almost took it out of the cart, then put it back in after reading Elon's tweet that some FSD features might be coming this August. I love how Tesla is constantly innovating and evolving. MCU 3.0?

"some features might be coming this August" from Musk of all people wouldn't make me part with a few grand up front! Best of luck you get something worthwhile.

Just checked and I can still upgrade to FSD for £4700 (Feb 18 Model X 75D, MCU1). It would be a bargain if it actually existed! But I'm keeping the cash until I can demo it, lol.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: b team
I almost don't know if it would be worth getting for $5k. Especially with all of the delays they've had with EAP. They will just begin rolling out features for FSD in August but it could be years before it's fully functional.

I couldn't agree more. On the one hand, it rewards those who "invested' in Tesla by buying early. They're showing appreciation to those owners and making sure they got a deal. On the other, this bumps it up considerably if it's $5,000 to add new, value wise it has to be the same value as EAP. This is either a sign that FSD features are really going to be good and some sort of regulatory approval is close. Or...they're just milking it to be profitable.

Reactions: Pentium2004
I almost don't know if it would be worth getting for $5k. Especially with all of the delays they've had with EAP. They will just begin rolling out features for FSD in August but it could be years before it's fully functional.

I can't see any of the imminent "features" being worth anything close to the upgrade cost. But it will be an improvement on nothing at all! Selling speculative features on a car is quite a novel approach, I must say!

Reactions: Pentium2004
This is the first Tesla issue that annoys me - and I am a huge fanboy. Maybe I am lucky in that regard. However, when I purchased without FSD, I did so going into the deal knowing it would cost me $1,000 additional if I "opted in" one day... so... $4,000. I have no problem with Tesla wanting to increase the buy in, but it should apply to new purchasers moving forward. Those like me that inked a deal for the previous opt in price should not be penalized - we would still be paying $1,000 more.

On top of that, this is not going to be true FSD. It is going to be a slow feature roll out. If you are obsessed like me you probably already know what's coming based on the leaked screenshot a few days ago. Some cool features no doubt, but not the FSD it may be one day.

Was irks me a bit is that I always thought FSD meant true FSD. This is a profit grab. It is not exactly FSD.

This is the first Tesla issue that annoys me - and I am a huge fanboy. Maybe I am lucky in that regard. However, when I purchased without FSD, I did so going into the deal knowing it would cost me $1,000 additional if I "opted in" one day... so... $4,000. I have no problem with Tesla wanting to increase the buy in, but it should apply to new purchasers moving forward. Those like me that inked a deal for the previous opt in price should not be penalized - we would still be paying $1,000 more.

On top of that, this is not going to be true FSD. It is going to be a slow feature roll out. If you are obsessed like me you probably already know what's coming based on the leaked screenshot a few days ago. Some cool features no doubt, but not the FSD it may be one day.

Was irks me a bit is that I always thought FSD meant true FSD. This is a profit grab. It is not exactly FSD.

It's not showing up still on my account, but if this is true, I totally agree. So now it's $5,000 to add instead of $4,000? It still doesn't even exist!

Build a function and sell it to us, don't make us play the "3 months, maybe 6" game with Elon, and sit here hoping the price doesn't go up while we wait. What's it going to cost when it actually exists and works? Trying to sell me a promise for $3k, then $4k, now $5k. When does it end?

(Yeah, I get it, that's just how it is with Tesla. Early adopters and all that. I bought the car with the knowledge that new features/changes could be added the day after I picked it up. But I think this is different. I was told I could add FSD anytime for $4k.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60
yeah. It's just not worth it to me at any price right now. I don't trust it. I won't trust it until I see at least a full year of general usage by others. Then I'll give it a look again.

If there was more transparency into their dev and testing, I might be tempted but without that it's all a great big unknown for me and I don't risk my life like that.

So I wait and see.

FYI retroactive changes to order sheet "enable after delivery" prices is NOT new for Tesla. Recent examples include:
  • Autopilot 1 price increased 20%, and at the same time, after-market activation price went up by the same increment: Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value
  • Software-locked 48A vs 72A high-power chargers were sold for a brief period as 48A, unlock to 72A for a fee. However, later when Tesla switched to hardware differences between the 48A and 72A chargers, the option to unlock 48A->72A disappeared for everyone (I had an AP1 car with the option to unlock but lost it)
  • Bioweapon defense mode retrofit on Model X. It used to be an option but now it's gone. Anyone that ordered a MX without PUP thinking they could retrofit bioweapon defense is now stuck without it.
  • P85D Ludicrous mode retrofit also came and went.
  • On the upside: 70D -> 75D unlocking for both Model X and Model S decreased in price aftermarket, but nobody was begging Tesla to not decrease their price :)
Unfortunately, the MVPA that you sign only has the options that you ordered listed on the contract. While you can make an argument that Tesla represented these available after-delivery options at a given price, nothing in your written purchase agreement specifies any of these.

• Informative
Reactions: AdamHLG
FYI retroactive changes to order sheet "enable after delivery" prices is NOT new for Tesla. Recent examples include:
  • Autopilot 1 price increased 20%, and at the same time, after-market activation price went up by the same increment: Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value
  • Software-locked 48A vs 72A high-power chargers were sold for a brief period as 48A, unlock to 72A for a fee. However, later when Tesla switched to hardware differences between the 48A and 72A chargers, the option to unlock 48A->72A disappeared for everyone (I had an AP1 car with the option to unlock but lost it)
  • Bioweapon defense mode retrofit on Model X. It used to be an option but now it's gone. Anyone that ordered a MX without PUP thinking they could retrofit bioweapon defense is now stuck without it.
  • On the upside: 70D -> 75D unlocking for both Model X and Model S decreased in price aftermarket, but nobody was begging Tesla to not decrease their price :)
Unfortunately, the MVPA that you sign only has the options that you ordered listed on the contract. While you can make an argument that Tesla represented these available after-delivery options at a given price, nothing in your written purchase agreement specifies any of these.

Not sure if you can still edit but I’m sure you meant 60D to 75D. Cost was much lower for the S than the X to upgrade.

Tow retrofit is now non existent as it’s been out of stock for a year now?

Lastly I read that Electrek article said 5000 upgrade for FSD was an error and it should be 4000 which is the grandfathered price.

Perhaps a warning shot before it actually goes to 5000 or more.

Not sure if you can still edit but I’m sure you meant 60D to 75D. Cost was much lower for the S than the X to upgrade.

Lastly I read that Electrek article said 5000 upgrade for FSD was an error and it should be 4000 which is the grandfathered price.

Thanks that's a good reminder! Yes, Electrek seemed to get clarification that this is a mistake and so far, existing owners are grandfathered into the $4000 price. However, IMO the warning still stands based off past experience: do not expect the after-delivery option pricing to be locked or even to be available in perpetuity.

If you ask the right person and ask nicely. A lot of these can still be had if it was originally available as a software upgrade.

Reactions: MXWing

I saw that electrek article too but don’t get what they are trying to fix. My page still shows $5,000. Was there an announcement that prior owners only pay $4,000?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I had a Dec 2016 Model X. Not sure if 72AMP charging was software only or software and hardware.

I can’t say definitively, there’s been a lot of threads that claim only really early builds had them. The build sheet also stated that high amp wasn’t an available upgrade after purchase.

With that said I believe you should have the hardware and only be software limited. Your build date is sandwiched between my old AP1 X and my AP2 X and both were eligible. On my AP2, I was searching inventory only vehicles and they listed high amp as an item I could request to be added or removed if I wanted. Of course it seems like ages ago, back when they were willing to remove Ludicrous for an additional $10,000 off P90DLs, everything was customizable and the beautiful matte obeche wood trim was available.