Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the original Continental tires are

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed the Pirelli Scorpions just 2 weeks ago. So far, the tires are excellent. The only problem is there is a slight whirling sound from the tires. If I get 35 to 40K miles on these tires, then I would put up with the slight noise.
I have also notice that the actual energy consumption on the Pirellis are about 10% more.
I am thinking that I would have gotten 30 to 35K on the Continentals if I haven't cornered and drove around curves so fast. You know, it was fun to see and test the performance limits of this car.

Our Tesla dealer in Palo Alto only stocked the Continentals, and can order the Pirellis for you at $500 each plus $50 installation each tire. From Tire Rack, these tires are available at $280 to $290 each, no cheaper ones though. Tesla said they would install the tires I ordered for $50 each, Doesn't make much sense to have Tesla supply the tires at $500 each.
At Tire Rack or anywhere else, there are only 2 companies which has our sizes. I thought to try the Pirelllis as a change. Had them mounted 2 wks ago, and they are great performance tires.
We'll see how many miles I get after 1-2yrs. Taking it easy on cornering.
Good luck.
Let me know if you found other companies which has our size (265/45-20 front and 275/45-20 rear)

Tire Rack generally has the best price and has a great customer experience as well. You can probably have the tires shipped directly to a Tesla SC to have them installed.

The scorpions in 20" are only winter config, no? Are there any performance tires for the 20" wheels?

EDIT: Conflated this thread with another.. my origina post was dumb.

Last edited:
Just had an original Continental Tire disintegrate on the road. An entire afternoon and several day adventure with an antique ICE dinosaur rental. It sure helps you appreciate your Tesla.
20704.jpeg
Found out the Continental warranty covers the first 72 months or 2/32 of the tread life.
2/32nd of tread life is worthless. Tread: 4 front and 6 back. 28,000 miles.
Tesla only stocks the Continentals. Boo Hiss. Would like Pirellis. Don't want to put on another set of Continentals so they can also self destruct.

8 months ago I had to get new tires even though my Continental Silents barely passed PA state inspection after about 15,000 miles and 12 months. Reading the warranty for the new Continental Extreme Contacts it states that the 45,000 Mile warranty is halved for the rear tires if they are staggered (larger size tire on rear). The Continental Extremes are holding up well so far and even without the foam liner, there is very little road noise. Energy usage is up from average of 362 WH/Mile with Silents, to now averaging 405 WH/Mile with the Extreme Contacts. To be fair though at the same time I started using Insane Mode all the time and have been heavier on the accelerator. I went with the Extremes because of the lousy experience with the SIlents and the fact that my local tire dealer wouldn't repair the foam core silents even though they will sell them.

I went with the Extremes because of the lousy experience with the SIlents and the fact that my local tire dealer wouldn't repair the foam core silents even though they will sell them.
My local tireshop has no problem servicing and getting in continentals and they put them on for free, but where I drive I seem to get 2-3 nails or screws causing slow leaks a year which are usually an easy patch. But with the silents they have a hell of a time getting even a plug patch to hold. Had to finally just replace one tire because of it. Anyone else run into that? Is the SC any better at patching a tire? I can't imagine they would be.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Yes, I paid $188 for the actual front tire (265 45 R20). I always buy certificates (tire insurance) for the peace of mind. Here is the breakdown:

265/45 R20 Tire: $188.00
Certificate: $32.00
Environmental Fee: $2.00
Disposal Fee: $2.50
Lifetime Spin Balancing: $16.00

Here is the breakdown for the rear tire:

275/45 R20 Tire: $219.00
Certificate: $37.25
Environmental Fee: $2.00
Disposal Fee: $2.50
Lifetime Spin Balancing: $16.00

Subtotal for all four tires: $1,034.50
Tax: $77.97
Total: $1,112.47

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
I️ had the original 20 Michelin’s on my car, they lasted a whopping 16k miles before the road noise became unbearable... they warrantied them luckily and now I️ have conti extreme contact which have been higher on energy usage by about 15-20 wh/mile but only 4K miles on them.

I️ wish we had more options!

At the Dallas SC this week, my service adviser said that air suspension vehicles are tire killers. He said that if the car is driven at highway speeds, the vehicle lowers itself and that changes the camber of the wheels and starts to result in uneven tire wear. He further say that 15-20k miles is about what people are getting on the ContiSitlents. This is not good news for a $350 tire! However, I think it is the quietest tire for the car (someone prove me wrong...please!) and so I just plan to have to spend a lot of money on tires going forward. Interestingly, only the front tires were worn and both on the outside edge of the tire. The makes me wonder if the vehicle was not well aligned in the front tires and he is feeding me a line or if we really have to replace tires that often. The back tires are fine, appear to be wearing evenly and have 8/32 of tread left.

Interestingly, only the front tires were worn and both on the outside edge of the tire. The makes me wonder if the vehicle was not well aligned in the front tires and he is feeding me a line or if we really have to replace tires that often.
I think that this results from being too *high* maybe, on your air suspension. I've seen the same result -- I had turned off auto-lowering so that I wouldn't prematurely wear the INSIDE of the tires, so now I've got the OUTSIDE worn preferentially. Go figure.

I am looking for an alternative tire as well. The price and the relatively quik wear is what I am trying to avoid. I wouldn't have mind if they were cheaper. I am down to 3/3/4 (roughly) all around as measured by the SC. $1600 to replace all 4 at the SC and looking for alternatives. We drive about 15,000 miles/year which would be about $1000 in tires per year (we are at 23,000 miles now)

At the Dallas SC this week, my service adviser said that air suspension vehicles are tire killers. He said that if the car is driven at highway speeds, the vehicle lowers itself and that changes the camber of the wheels and starts to result in uneven tire wear. He further say that 15-20k miles is about what people are getting on the ContiSitlents. This is not good news for a $350 tire! However, I think it is the quietest tire for the car (someone prove me wrong...please!) and so I just plan to have to spend a lot of money on tires going forward. Interestingly, only the front tires were worn and both on the outside edge of the tire. The makes me wonder if the vehicle was not well aligned in the front tires and he is feeding me a line or if we really have to replace tires that often. The back tires are fine, appear to be wearing evenly and have 8/32 of tread left.
This is exactly why I have gone into settings and changed the "lower car at certain speed" to "never" . Lowering is supposed to increase range. I have a 75, taken long trips, no range issue and saves the tires.