Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Passion of the S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ugliest1

S85: "Sparky"
Supporting Member
Aug 19, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
I've read a lot, I mean a lot, of different owners on these threads who say how much they loooooooooovvvveeee their Model S more than any other car they've owned, and sometimes that's followed by a list of pretty impressive (well, not any more :)) ICEs.

I loooooovvvvvveeee my Model S too, however I haven't owned nearly the list of impressive vehicles that others have. And I've never before joined a car forum. So I'm curious: do "other" car forums sound exactly the same with the emotional outbursts for the respective cars? Or is the looooovvvvveeee just a teeny bit more intense with the Model S?

In a word, yes. Most car forums are chock full of fanatics, if they weren't fanatics they probably wouldn't join an internet forum dedicated to the subject :) That being said, Teslas are pretty unique so I think the feeling of community is greater.

Last edited:
I've never been a huge car person, nor have I ever before joined a car forum. I certainly never joined a car forum before even owning the car! Based upon my perception, I'd say that the Tesla is unique in the intensity and the breadth of its appeal. Between the technology, the design, the environmental implications, and the pure wow factor, I think the Model S has a many facets to attract fans.

Another appeal is the welcoming nature of the Tesla community. I suspect that those posting on other high-end automobile forums without even owning the car are less likely to be welcomed as warmly.

Even though I spent my career in the automotive field and had some nice cars over the years I never went on a forum until this car. I find that everyone is very helpful and there is an incredible amount of useful information to be found. I really believe this company is special both in its products, design and technology. I have had my Model S for almost 1 year and still pinch myself that I own such a special and amazing vehicle. I could go on and on but it has been said already many time by many on the forum. Will never get tired of driving this car or talking to others about it.

Yes many car models have their fanatical fan bases and forums. But those are just cars that operate fundamentally the same way cars have operated for over a century. Tesla is about more than just creating the best EV ever, it's about revolutionizing personal transport while significantly decreasing the environmental impact of the automobile and just as importantly, building battery storage systems for a variety of uses.

I've belonged to forums on the Acura MDX (2003) and the Lexus IS (2010, 350 model). I still own both cars (about to replace the MDX with an MS85), but maybe participated in the forums for just a few weeks right before and right after getting each car. Both forums definitely had their fanboys, but not nearly as fanatical as this place. And there just isn't much more you can learn after owning the car for a few weeks.

I see myself participating in this forum for a long time to come. There is so much more ancillary information about Tesla, the Model S, other models, software updates, superchargers, etc. to be gleaned here that once I take delivery of the car later this month I will still have much to learn and many ideas to exchange. That richness of information just isn't there or needed for the average ICE car.

Which emotion holds more passion "loooooooooovvvveeee" or "loooooovvvvvveeee"?

I thoroughly agree with @GoBlue88. I have participated in forums before and slightly after buying other cars, but ultimately, the passion wanes. I am heartened by the continuing participation in the Model S community by (relatively) long term owners.

In 2000 I bought a 2001 Acura MDX, the 1st model year for the car and certainly one of the first in Duluth (had to buy it in the Twin Cities). I was a charter member on the AcuraMDX forum, and spent several years there, following every nuance of the car, ended up with several thousand posts. Floor mats - you bet, let's talk about them! Install a hitch, yea here's how you do that!

But that was, gosh, 14 years ago. Now there's a Tesla in my future, and, yes, you bet, I've been reading thread after thread on this forum, and hitting New Posts 2-3 times per day. The passion's back!

(This is like post #8 for me here...) :)

I've been on a few car forums for the cars I have owned, but this is the first one that has so many of the investors on it. I have never seen a person that buys Ford stock then goes to their forum (even if they don't own a Ford). This is a unique experience to a car forum. I think it is more because this forum has so much useful information in it that even veteran investors can learn from this forum. As we have seen in the past, this forum is also used in news articles (with and without permission).

This is the first car I've ever owned that makes me look forward to getting up and driving to work in the morning. I commute about 15 miles each way to Baltimore down I-83 which is often a dreadful bumper-to-bumper drive that used to infuriate me. Anger management was a major problem for me:) Not so in the Model S. I just sit back and take joy in the ride, often with the Tesla grin.

If you want to see fanatical head on over to any of the following:

Corvett forums
Mustang forums
Camaro forums

Then let them know that you are cross shopping all of the above vehicles :)

I have found in my time that enthusiast cars will bring out some interesting characters that adopt the car as their primary focus. When I had my Evolution VIII there was a big rivalry between it and the STi and those discussion could and would get heated. Then the SRT4 boys showed up and would also start all sorts of issues on the forums.

As you can probably tell I have been on a lot of forums in the past but TMC takes the cake for the sheer volume of complete and utter...what's the best way to put this...car model lovers. I have never seen enthusiasm like this for any car on any forum. Maybe there would be a few regular posters that would think the car was the greatest thing since sliced bread but never an entire forum.

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is good/bad just my observation

I've spent a lot of time on Audiworld, Bimmerpost, and Clublexus forums. Every car company has fanatics.

I will say that TMC has the friendliest atmosphere of all the forums I've spent time on. Most of the other forums are fairly newbie-unfriendly. Lots of "RTFM" and "Search the archives, noob" flying around...

I used to visit the Hyundai Genesis Coupe forum a lot when waiting for my car to arrive. The enthusiasm is pretty similar, though not quite as pronounced as here. However, I have not visited that forum much since getting my car. The forum was useful for learning about the car's features and about potential problems with the car (none of which I have had with my car, though), so I joined this forum mainly for the same reasons.

I've read a lot, I mean a lot, of different owners on these threads who say how much they loooooooooovvvveeee their Model S more than any other car they've owned, and sometimes that's followed by a list of pretty impressive (well, not any more :)) ICEs.

I loooooovvvvvveeee my Model S too, however I haven't owned nearly the list of impressive vehicles that others have. And I've never before joined a car forum. So I'm curious: do "other" car forums sound exactly the same with the emotional outbursts for the respective cars? Or is the looooovvvvveeee just a teeny bit more intense with the Model S?

I also haven't owned a list of impressive cars; well, I loved them, but I don't think Acura Integra, followed by Mazda Miata, impresses anyone except the guy at work who owns several Miatas (but was way impressed with my Model S).

I don't consider myself a car guy, but my other half teased me when, years ago, I got the Miata and went to one local Miata group. He called me a "ME"--Miata Enthusiast. ;-) Now I'm still a "ME"--but it means Model S Enthusiast. I guess that's loooooovvvvvveeee.

Interesting to hear a few people comment about what other car forums are like; I've never used them--this forum (and Tesla's forum) are the only ones I've used.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, I went to one meeting of that Miata group (too shy to return).