Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the floor jack you have the same one in the link in post #s 172, 174 ? I saw that one on Amazon, but it ships from the UK. I'm planning on making a trip to Harbor Freight, Home Depot and measuring the entry height of their floor jacks. I would use it for both my Model 3 Performance and my NSX (which is lower than the Tesla).

Thanks for everyones feedback on the floor jacks - much appreciated !
+1 on Harbor Freight Aluminum floor jack. Mine has been working flawlessly for several years now.

Is the floor jack you have the same one in the link in post #s 172, 174 ? I saw that one on Amazon, but it ships from the UK. I'm planning on making a trip to Harbor Freight, Home Depot and measuring the entry height of their floor jacks. I would use it for both my Model 3 Performance and my NSX (which is lower than the Tesla).

Thanks for everyones feedback on the floor jacks - much appreciated !

I can't find the exact one I have. The one I have was made by (labeled by) Rand and it's 6 years old. Says 2 Ton, Single Piston, Aluminum/Steel.

There are many that look almost identical. But most have the dual piston now (like Harbor Freight), which I would like to personally avoid. More places to leak, possibly harder to pump and don't care how fast it is. The closest one is probably the Harbor Freight one for $80.

If I were buying today, I'd like to get an all (mostly) Aluminum one, single piston, super light and the single center wheel (like I have now). I only want the center wheel so I can jack up from the suspension when I want to (so you can lift right up to up to the back of the tire) with the single center wheel (if you take the handles off). But if you don't have that requirement it opens up a lot more choices, maybe even lower profiles that don't break the bank.

Personally, I'd get one of these if I bought today. They seem a little pricey, but all the mostly aluminum ones are. But what bugs me is neither is Amazon Prime. Which I really would like on something like this, in case I don't like it, it's and easy no questions asked free return. I often pay more for Amazon Prime for that insurance.

Both these look pretty nice. Probably out of the same factory in China. Both of these are only 27 lbs !!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJGXFQG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VFZE6
Lowest I've seen on this "style" jack list's it at 3.25". Mine is closer to 3" but they might be being conservative on the height.

It looks like you might be able to remove the cup on a lot of them and gain another 0.5"

Reactions: webbah
Specifically Engineered including extra holes for 9 other brand cars ;)
Most people just want something that can “get the job done” quickly if they have a flat. Something that can get them to a shop that can do the final proper repair or replacement of the flat tire. Not everyone wants to bring the tire in the cabin and work on installing a plug to the car. Especially those that might have a wife and kids along for the ride on a winter day. So this spare tire is a great option for the general public. Maybe not for you.

If I were buying today, I'd like to get an all (mostly) Aluminum one, single piston, super light and the single center wheel (like I have now). I only want the center wheel so I can jack up from the suspension when I want to (so you can lift right up to up to the back of the tire) with the single center wheel (if you take the handles off). But if you don't have that requirement it opens up a lot more choices, maybe even lower profiles that don't break the bank.

Personally, I'd get one of these if I bought today. They seem a little pricey, but all the mostly aluminum ones are. But what bugs me is neither is Amazon Prime. Which I really would like on something like this, in case I don't like it, it's and easy no questions asked free return. I often pay more for Amazon Prime for that insurance.

Both these look pretty nice. Probably out of the same factory in China. Both of these are only 27 lbs !!

@mswlogo - Thank you very much for the information in your post and the recommendations. Aluminum would be my first choice because of the weight. I worked for a tire/brakes/battery auto center during college in the 80s and we had a super heavy floor jack that was difficult to maneuver. None of us used it, as it was easier and faster to just put the car on the lift, even for flat repairs. I'll hopefully be able to test out some floor jacks at Harbor Freight and Home Depot next week...

BTW - are you on the Volt forums ? I occasionally see posts on the GM-Volt forums with someone with the same username...

@mswlogo - Thank you very much for the information in your post and the recommendations. Aluminum would be my first choice because of the weight. I worked for a tire/brakes/battery auto center during college in the 80s and we had a super heavy floor jack that was difficult to maneuver. None of us used it, as it was easier and faster to just put the car on the lift, even for flat repairs. I'll hopefully be able to test out some floor jacks at Harbor Freight and Home Depot next week...

BTW - are you on the Volt forums ? I occasionally see posts on the GM-Volt forums with someone with the same username...

Yes on Volt forums. I banned myself :)
I put up a critical review of the Volt that some folks couldn’t deal with and I got tired of defending my criticism. I still like the car, and I said that. But if I had it to do it over again I don’t think I’d get the Volt. Primarily because of Chevy dealers can pick and choose prices, what cars they sell, what service plans they sell and what cars they will service, if they feel like supporting the app for service appt. It’s crazy.

I generally try to give back on any forum I participate in. I’m putting the exact same Porsche jack setup in the Volt. But I’d have to fight some idiots if I posted what I did here on that forum.

I would recommend the 2 Tons Scissor Jack, however you need to remove the top attach and replaced it with a Hockey Puck.

71omskS%2BCSL._SL1500_.jpg

I ordered previously the Torin Big Red Steel Scissor Jack, but I found the crank to be unpractical.

61B7ZOVWbVL._SL1317_.jpg

Also I would recommend to carry a 10" x 10" piece of plywood, in case you are parked on the muddy side of the road when replacing a wheel.

Also I would strongly recommend to use an other jack on the front, and to leave the car front the front so the rear will be a little bit lifted,
making easier to insert a jack on the rear, especially if you have a model 3 Performance, which is lowered.

And also to design a Hockey Puck to help center the jack just under the lifting area hole.

s-l640.jpg

Also I would recommend to carry a 10" x 10" piece of plywood, in case you are parked on the muddy side of the road when replacing a wheel.

This is excellent advice !! I hit a pot hole, bent a wheel and blew a sidewall with my VW R32 in Northern CA. It had been raining off and on for about 2 days. Pulled off onto an open area that was covered by gravel, but didn't think about the mud underneath. The jack slowly sank, but luckily, I was able to slowly drive off the jack. Lesson learned !! I also now carry a small hand shovel with me....

Yes, I think I'll get that, thanks.

Is there anyone here who has used this exact jack?

I'm not loving all these additional purchases for things I may never use, but it will make driving in remote areas more peaceful.

This thread is mostly about the OEM Aluminum Porsche Jack, any one who has bought one knows what a nice jack it is. I would never buy one of the Amazon Chinese steel jacks (again ;)), I bought several and returned them.

Just about any OEM Jack is way better made than those $30 jacks. But the steel OEM ones are very heavy. That's how I arrived at the Aluminum Porsche jack.

Also I use a PVC Board instead of wood. It won't soak up water if you have to put in mud. I don't want my trunk smelling like my cellar.

46208569981_2e1d06f5dd_h_d.jpg