Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want a good scissor jack, Modern Spare sells their jacks seperate, for about $35 bucks. They are 4000 lb jacks and already have a rubber puck attached to them. This is the same jack that they include in their spare tire kit for Teslas.

Reactions: Psycho Bunny
If you want a good scissor jack, Modern Spare sells their jacks seperate, for about $35 bucks. They are 4000 lb jacks and already have a rubber puck attached to them. This is the same jack that they include in their spare tire kit for Teslas.

This is the same Chinese stamped sheet metal garbage you see all over Amazon. Read the 1 Star Reviews and especially take a look at the photos.

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: everbest4u Scissor Jack 2T Car Scissor Jack with Hand Crank Portable RV Stabilizers for Sedan and Coupe

Pretty much any OEM jack you can find will be much higher quality.

I ordered a Dodge Ram Promaster Scissor Jack from ebay. I will let you all know if it fits when i get it next week.
As promised, here are pics of the comparison of the scissor jack and the tesla pucks. I still have yet taken delivery of my MSLR.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 371
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: android04
As promised, here are pics of the comparison of the scissor jack and the tesla pucks. I still have yet taken delivery of my MSLR.
One function of the “puck” is to give you some wiggle room for placing the jack. It doesn’t need to be perfect. You can feel for the hole. It also helps you sight the jack once the puck is in you can see where to put the jack.

Good luck “aiming” that jack at the hole on the side of the road at night. You have to get on the ground, crank it part way up to line it up perfectly. Your aiming for something you can’t even see easily on your knees. But not to hard to find by feeling it.

Maybe you can add arrows to the side of the car of where the holes are so you have a chance at aiming the jack but that won’t help with how far in you need to put the jack. You’ll need to look up under the car as you jack it up.

Pucks help sight the jack left, right, in, out and give an inch or so of slop in all directions.

Also note how low the car will be, with a flat.

Bad idea. Hope you don’t miss.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: kessel_run
One function of the “puck” is to give you some wiggle room for placing the jack. It doesn’t need to be perfect. You can feel for the hole. It also helps you sight the jack once the puck is in you can see where to put the jack.

Good luck “aiming” that jack at the hole on the side of the road at night. You have to get on the ground, crank it part way up to line it up perfectly. Your aiming for something you can’t even see easily on your knees. But not to hard to find by feeling it.

Maybe you can add arrows to the side of the car of where the holes are so you have a chance at aiming the jack but that won’t help with how far in you need to put the jack. You’ll need to look up under the car as you jack it up.

Pucks help sight the jack left, right, in, out and give an inch or so of slop in all directions.

Also note how low the car will be, with a flat.

Bad idea. Hope you don’t miss.
The length, width, and height when all the way down. Just looked kinda large from what I could see online, no visual reference.
hope these work for you.

Attachments

• height.jpg
    height.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 310
  • length.jpg
    length.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: android04
My Jack "kit" is all decked out now :) Also have a 20" x 1/2" ratchet extension not shown.
I cut the foam out to fit the lug wrench (that extends), the 6pt 21mm socket, and a ratchet (which is used to drive the jack).

46208569981_524c991c35_b_d.jpg

I took the nub off and added some rubber to the jack
46208569931_902ec80276_b_d.jpg

I also added an adapter to the jack to allow 1/2" ratchet drive.
46208569851_2b923206a6_b_d.jpg
Nice set up. Where did you get that ratchet adapter? What's it called?

Hi msw et al., long time reader, first time poster. I bought a set of used 2018 winter wheels for my 2021 M3 (don't get me started on the TPMS incompatibility; the service dept said it would be fine (lie)) and am looking to do seasonal tire swaps and front/back rotations at home rather than my local shop for convenience. I picked up a Porsche 000.721.711.05 jack off eBay and after watching a service guy pop up one side with a floor jack, I figure I'll just stick with a pad (Abstract Ocean) and forego fiddling with the suspension arm/covered rear/etc. Now my question is what's this about going parallel with the body rather than perpendicular? I studied physics rather than mechanical engineering but I'm curious. Is this consistent with the angle of the original oblong nub and the instructions on the side of the jack? They're not quite explicit. Looking at a few photos of scissor jacks, they all seem to be used in the perpendicular configuration, so I'm curious what's up.
On the rest of the kit, I'm an avid avoider of Amazon (at nearly all costs) and went with a GearWrench 85180 torque wrench, 84579N 21mm socket (both from Acme Tools), 84719N 9" U-joint extension, and am going to file the nub off with Nicholson 06706N file (both from ToolsID) and then get a long M6 bolt from BoltDepot to screw the AbstractOcean jack adapter puck to the top of the jack.

Reactions: jebinc
Hi msw et al., long time reader, first time poster. I bought a set of used 2018 winter wheels for my 2021 M3 (don't get me started on the TPMS incompatibility; the service dept said it would be fine (lie)) and am looking to do seasonal tire swaps and front/back rotations at home rather than my local shop for convenience. I picked up a Porsche 000.721.711.05 jack off eBay and after watching a service guy pop up one side with a floor jack, I figure I'll just stick with a pad (Abstract Ocean) and forego fiddling with the suspension arm/covered rear/etc. Now my question is what's this about going parallel with the body rather than perpendicular? I studied physics rather than mechanical engineering but I'm curious. Is this consistent with the angle of the original oblong nub and the instructions on the side of the jack? They're not quite explicit. Looking at a few photos of scissor jacks, they all seem to be used in the perpendicular configuration, so I'm curious what's up.
On the rest of the kit, I'm an avid avoider of Amazon (at nearly all costs) and went with a GearWrench 85180 torque wrench, 84579N 21mm socket (both from Acme Tools), 84719N 9" U-joint extension, and am going to file the nub off with Nicholson 06706N file (both from ToolsID) and then get a long M6 bolt from BoltDepot to screw the AbstractOcean jack adapter puck to the top of the jack.
What you really want is swivel casters ;)
Honestly perpendicular vs parallel makes that much difference. Car actually pulls diagonally towards the opposite corner.
But that is partly what floor jacks are on wheels. They roll a bit as you jack the car up.

Again, that is another reason I jack under the suspension. You are raising it so little nothing shifts on you.

For swapping tires I use a cheap aluminum floor jack (one with a single wheel) and I take the handles off so I can get the lower control arm (right up next to the tire). Porsche jack will work too. Lifting less weight, less height and no shifting. Rear is a little tricky because the bottom strut mounts are covered. I made a PVC spacer to tuck in there and it works great.

Welp, in that case, I'll be selling the Porsche jack either here or on eBay. I thought of a Daytona since nearly identical to SnapOn, stopped short of a Brunnhoelzl racing jack, and asked Tesla service what they use on mobile visits - OTC aluminum jack. Back ordered but no rush as winter is coming in NJ.

If anyone is interested in the jack, let me know, I'm looking to recoup the $200 and can also round the nubbin, remove altogether, or cut a hole to attach an AO puck directly to the top plate.