Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It works, don't be discouraged! The ratchet handle is just not long enough in my opinion - to make for a comfortable "lift". I'm certain it's safe and beefy enough! Not sure how a 2200 aluminum Porsche jack could possibly lift at the body jack point, however.

I'm ordering the whole spare tire kit, so I'll still end up getting it.. How long is the ratchet handle - is it about a foot long ?

Maybe a couple of inches longer than a foot. Carry a pipe that slides over the ratchet and you'll be fine - if you find the ratchet alone being problematic.

Edit: Again, the jack is beefy and up to the job, the cheap ratchet handle supplied, not so much. I might just replace with a long 1/2" breaker bar with flipping head. Will look for one and will post here. That can also be used to deal with the lug nuts - a win-win. "Stay tuned," as they used to say back in the day...

Last edited:
Edit: Again, the jack is beefy and up to the job, the cheap ratchet handle supplied, not so much. I might just replace with a long 1/2" breaker bar with flipping head. Will look for one and will post here. That can also be used to deal with the lug nuts - a win-win. "Stay tuned," as they used to say back in the day...

Edit: Wow, that was too easy.... found this and will be placing my order

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-2-Inc...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You beat me to it !!! I was just going to ask about using a breaker bar and a socket. Do you recall the size of the bolt on the jack ?

No, but for you, I'll run out to the garage now and check. As you can see from my edit above, I chose the 24" bar. They have all sizes to choose from for $20 or less.

Edit: The jack head is 17mm - Perfect! The breaker bar and lug nut set I bought will double as the jack's new "crank"!

lug set.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure, but the 4000# rated jack I bought, made of steel, struggled to lift one corner of my M3.

Just because some Chinese company labeled it 4000 lbs you believe it !!!

That Porsche Jack lifted the Model 3 like butter. I used the supplied handle that was short and the only leverage I had to turn it was twisting my wrist. And that was with the jack at its weakest leverage. It has all ball bearings and smooth threads.

Read the whole thread, everyone that bought one agrees the Porsche jack is a nice jack. That’s why they sell good on eBay. Used for $125, people know they are nice jacks.

I read hundreds of scissor jack reviews on Amazon. They are all cheap junk from China. Horrible reports, bending, twisting etc. The only good ones are the OEM ones that came with cars. There are lots of them on eBay, not just Porsche. It’s pretty obvious they are well made. But they also looked pretty heavy. So I chose the Porsche one because it was light weight aluminum. You’re not lifting the whole car. The model 3 weighs 25% more. I’m sure their Jack has more than 25% headroom.

I’ll take a German 2200# jack over a Chinese made 4000# jack any day. I can almost guarantee that “trulift” Jack is just a cheap Chinese jack.

I bought one powered scissor Jack (Chinese made for sure, from Amazon) that was rated like 2.5 ton. It couldn’t lift *sugar*.

Last edited:
It works, don't be discouraged! The ratchet handle is just not long enough in my opinion - to make for a comfortable "lift". I'm certain it's safe and beefy enough! Not sure how a 2200 aluminum Porsche jack could possibly lift at the body jack point, however.

Ratchet works fine with my jack. I could crank it with a 6” screw driver. You are fighting a poorly made jack. You get what you pay for with $35.00

Just because some Chinese company labeled it 4000 lbs you believe it !!!

That Porsche Jack lifted the Model 3 like butter. I used the supplied handle that was short and the only leverage I had to turn it was twisting my wrist. And that was with the jack at its weakest leverage. It had all ball bearings and smooth threads.

Read the whole thread, everyone that bought one agrees the Porsche jack is a nice jack. That’s why they sell good on eBay. Used for $125, people know they are nice jacks.

I read hundreds of scissor jack reviews on Amazon. They are all cheap junk from China. Horrible reports, bending, twisting etc. The only good ones are the OEM ones that came with cars. There are lots of them on eBay, not just Porsche. It’s pretty obvious they are well made. But they also looked pretty heavy. So I chose the Porsche one because it was light weight aluminum. You’re not lifting the whole car. The model 3 weighs 25% more. I’m sure their Jack has more than 25% headroom.

I’ll take a German 2200# jack over a Chinese made 4000# jack any day. I can almost guarantee that “trulift” Jack is just a cheap Chinese jack.

I bought one powered scissor Jack (Chinese made for sure, from Amazon) that was rated like 2.5 ton. It couldn’t lift *sugar*.

Good morning, @mswlogo - Before I or others locate a OEM Porsche jack, can you confirm for all of us the following, from actual experience. Pictures would be helpful also.

1. The jack has the range to lift (from the jack point and not the control arm) from a flat tire low height to an inflated tire off the ground height (without having to drive up on boards first, etc.) I didn’t think the jack you propose had the range. IIRC, the max height was less than 11”

2. The jack, with a ratchet can actually lift a corner of the M3, weight wise, from the jack point.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Got my Porsche jack not long ago, thanks for the reminder from mswlogo, since I had put it on my list of things to buy when cheap.

I shaved the oval nubbin to fit the hole on the frame rail. Easy to do since it's aluminum. Plenty of room for the jack when the tire's flat since it folds down tight. The 2nd pics shows the jack half extended, with the rear tire off the ground. I jacked it all the way up, and the front tire is off the ground as well.
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3180.jpg