Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read every post in this entire thread, and you guys have come up with some great ideas and "solutions" . But how many flat tires are you guys getting??? I think I've had one in the last 15 years!! Yes, when I got my Model X, I worried about not having a spare, especially when I realized foam/slime wouldn't work. But after my initial anxiety went away, I realize that in the unlikely event I do have a flat, help is just a phone call away, either for a tow, a repair, or exchange. Or worst case, an Uber ride to my destination.
You could never be so ready, remember this next week. LoL

And there are lots of places with a dead zone for cell phone signal, we don’t have Satellite OnStar. That’s where you will break down. “Shoot!! No Signal!”

Fred

Reactions: mswlogo
I read every post in this entire thread, and you guys have come up with some great ideas and "solutions" . But how many flat tires are you guys getting??? I think I've had one in the last 15 years!! Yes, when I got my Model X, I worried about not having a spare, especially when I realized foam/slime wouldn't work. But after my initial anxiety went away, I realize that in the unlikely event I do have a flat, help is just a phone call away, either for a tow, a repair, or exchange. Or worst case, an Uber ride to my destination.
I’ve never been stranded with a flat tire but oddly I had two separate tire incidents within weeks of owning my M3P. The first was a nail and the second was a sidewall bubble. I think the 20” wheels and tires are particularly vulnerable to these potholed roads here. After that, I got a little paranoid and decided to put together an emergency tire kit w/ compressor and jack.

So I just got my jack from eBay and I am so impressed by the size, weight, power, lift height of this thing that I have to personally thank you for this thread!

I went a slightly different route and (sloppily) cut down the nub to fit in the jack point holes because I thought it may be a tighter fit and not as safe as if I were to use a jack puck under the jack.

Works so well and has so much room to work with that i'm confident no matter the terrain this little beast will handle it well,.

Got my jack only for $60 in like new condition and another $12 for the socket adapter, WAY better deal that the other jack that I am now sure would not have worked, thanks again!

Only problem is that it is so compact I have more room for other crap in the Frunk!

What does the adapter with the two bright yellow ends do?

No spare tire, mini compressor, tire patch kit, Jack pad and I just picked up this OEM Porsche Jack on EBay tonight. Don’t need a breaker bar or socket since the tire isn’t coming off.

Fred

I don’t plan to take wheel off, unless it’s freakin cold out (e.g. below 0F). It might be a lot easier to patch the tire in the warmth of the cabin. Or I could take the wheel off and Uber myself to a tire shop. Something to take the lugs off, just gives you more options. You have everything else.

It's an adapter from 14-50 240v to 120v 30A campsite outlet, in case I get caught out in the wilderness, almost happened once, Murphy's law says now that I have everything, I won't need anything, i'm just fine with that!

I assume your going from 30A 120V Plug to the 14-50 240V Outlet (and planning to reduce current draw in the car).
Have you tested it?

I'm not sure that it will work. It makes sense for an RV, in that most appliances are 120V and they probably drive both hots of the 14-50 with the one Hot from the 30A 120V in that adapter. In an RV only 240V Appliances won't work. But the UMC will expect to see 240V across the two hots of the 14-50 outlet and it will see 0V. The 14-50 UMC Adapter will not put any load on Neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
I assume your going from 30A 120V Plug to the 14-50 240V Outlet (and planning to reduce current draw in the car).
Have you tested it?

I'm not sure that it will work. It makes sense for an RV, in that most appliances are 120V and they probably drive both hots of the 14-50 with the one Hot from the 30A 120V in that adapter. In an RV only 240V Appliances won't work. But the UMC will expect to see 240V across the two hots of the 14-50 outlet and it will see 0V. The 14-50 UMC Adapter will not put any load on Neutral.
An adapter wired for an RV won't work. The situation will be as you described with the same hot wire on both of the hot legs. One wired for EV charging will have the hot on one leg and the neutral on the other and the UMC see 120v just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
An adapter wired for an RV won't work. The situation will be as you described with the same hot wire on both of the hot legs. One wired for EV charging will have the hot on one leg and the neutral on the other and the UMC see 120v just fine.
This is something I did not think about when getting the adapter as it is designed for RV use and it makes perfect sense that both hot legs are wired to the single pole, I am a general contractor and feel pretty stupid for this one!
I did just pull the trigger on this though TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 and for the same reason I have all of the other crap in the frunk, if it's there I'll never need it.

One of the many reasons I love this place, sometimes even the most obvious things get missed and then pointed out and could save me some time or perhaps even an unintended/unprepared overnight campground stay!

I’ve never been stranded with a flat tire but oddly I had two separate tire incidents within weeks of owning my M3P. The first was a nail and the second was a sidewall bubble. I think the 20” wheels and tires are particularly vulnerable to these potholed roads here. After that, I got a little paranoid and decided to put together an emergency tire kit w/ compressor and jack.

Keep in mind that a "Pot Hole" blowout is highly unlikely a DIY repairable/patchable job on the spot.

I figure even taking the wheel off and taking an Uber to a tire shop might be an option some day. Or my wife bringing me one of my "other season" tires sitting in the garage.

I've been hunting around for a nice jack for the Model 3. I don't plan on carrying a spare (yet) but I do have a nice tire repair kit and I have repaired many tires. It's not always so easy to repair a tire on the car. Especially if it's 5F out. I want the ability to rotate the wheel or remove it to ease repair.

I went through several Amazon returns. Most Scissors Jack are absolute Chinese crap unless you buy some OEM one for another vehicle. I had almost settled on an electric hydraulic jack that worked great until I realized that it would be to tall if I had a flat.

I found this on eBay. It's an old OEM Porsche Jack. There are tons of them on eBay, this one was mint.
It appears all the Porsches that used this vintage jack are around 3000 lbs. Model 3 is 4000 lbs.
I think because they are so light, strong and compact there is a market for them. There are probably 50 on ebay.

It is the only aluminum scissor jack I could find.

It is rated for 1000 Kg (2200 lbs).
It weighs nothing (40 oz !!), it is very well made.
It will jack from ~2.5" to ~10.5"
You can probably use it fine on the body, I plan to only jack under the lower control arm (much easier, safer and only needs 2 inches of lift).
There is a nub on top that I plan to remove. If you wanted it for the body you could trim that nub to fit exactly.
Not sure how much lift you need on the body (part of the reason I hate jacking up from the body).
But you could raise the jack on something to bring it flush before jacking. The jack has 8" of throw (not a lot).

When sizing a jack you want it to go from flat tire on ground to fixed tire off ground.

I ordered an extension crank from amazon. It probably weighs more than the jack.

This image is with it lifting the Model 3 front wheel.

32226362638_6fbeea3490_b_d.jpg

I might be able to use this foam insert as is, in the lower trunk to keep it in place. (iPhone 6s reference, not a plus)

46097709341_feba03c7bf_b_d.jpg

I'm not all that technically savvy, but if the Porsche jack is rated for 2200 pounds, is it safe to use with the Model 3?