Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the Porsche jack cost - $300?

It doesn't, people have paid any where from $60 - $120

You might see a few listings with the spare that like new for much more.

This is the cheapest one I see right now $125

1999-2004 Porsche 911 996 Boxster 986 Spare Tire Emergency Tool Kit | eBay

Lots of ways to look it up

I just bought one with the spare tire (they refused to break it up) for $150 and sold the tire for $60.00

They constantly come and go and you can wait for a good deal.

Some are really beaten up, so check pictures and reputation carefully.

+1 on Harbor Freight Aluminum floor jack. Mine has been working flawlessly for several years now.

The HF 1.5T aluminum "Racing" jack is pretty much the standard out there. If you go to the track, you'll see > 50% of people using one of the many versions they have made over the years. These things are inexpensive, decently small, reasonably light, fast, go pretty low (I have jacked many much lower cars than the M3 with it) and surprisingly durable given all the above. Highly recommended.

Reactions: bhzmark
The HF 1.5T aluminum "Racing" jack is pretty much the standard out there. If you go to the track, you'll see > 50% of people using one of the many versions they have made over the years. These things are inexpensive, decently small, reasonably light, fast, go pretty low (I have jacked many much lower cars than the M3 with it) and surprisingly durable given all the above. Highly recommended.

I have a similar one for my garage (with a different label).
Way overkill to keep in the car for just emergencies, IMHO. Also, any hydraulic jack can leak.
Harbor Freight (or one of the 100 labels) is 33 lbs vs the Porsche (emergency) jack is a bit over 3 lbs.
The Harbor Freight one isn't full aluminum.
Company's (China of course under many labels) do make them with much higher % of aluminum that shaves about 10lbs off for 2-3x the price.

Wow!! Looks great. You think you could screw on a rubber stopper on it like people do when making the hockey style type of jack pads?

You mean instead of my socket idea? I'd be very concerned about any locating solution being deformable or breakable. All the jacking pads I've seen were a hard slippery plastic (like Delrin, used for suspension bushings) or solid milled aluminum.

-E

Awesome job !!! Where did you find the neoprene fender washer - hardware or auto parts store ? I've been searching online, but could only find it for sale in bulk.....

(Sorry for the late response)

As you can see in the photos from my article, the washers were from a Hillman brand assortment of neoprene fender washers from a hardware store (Virgil's in Glendale, CA). I've never seen those anywhere else, and I often browse these parts of hardware stores.

I just searched for "neoprene fender washer" at Amazon, and there a lot of choices there.

image17.jpg

Better yet do you think the nub-less jack is low enough where you can take one of those hockey style jack pads, drill a hole down through the center of it and then screw mount it to the top of the jack?

Yes and no. As you can see from this photo, our Model 3 with unmodified suspension and properly-inflated tires could probably clear Porsche jack with a typical Tesla jacking pad adapter "puck" at the rear jacking points, and probably the front. You could lift the car by hand to gain some additional clearance. But on a deflated tire, and on a surface of unpredictable flatness, I'd want all the leeway possible.

I've been using a high density polypropylene commercial grade cutting board. Easy to clean and it's been pretty tuff so far. Hasn't cracked despite my best efforts to abuse it over the last few years...
I may have a pic of it earlier in this thread, but I use a scrap piece of IPE decking. It’s incredibly dense, so it doesn’t absorb water, and plenty strong enough to support the jack without cracking. With the Porsche jack, you can crank it all the way up and even rotate both tires, if you feel the need to put your compact spare on the back, keeping a full-size tire on the front.

I vaguely recall the seller many of us have purchased from is SpecializedGerman. He usually has a jack in its original foam donut that can fit inside the spare.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
50A65286-AD04-4B5F-B067-A1243C2C0626.jpeg
2A3215B4-B258-4DBB-98E1-55167E1A6134.jpeg
I got an OEM Porsche aluminum jack from eBay and have been sorely disappointed! I cleaned it up and regreased the thread. I couldn’t manage to get a rear tire up on solid ground because I absolutely destroyed the skinny aluminum wrench (the aluminum bent stick with a handle on one end and a hook on the other).

I got a scissor jack to 13/16” or 1/2” drive adapter and managed to get the car up, but not without serious warping by the time the tire cleared the ground. I used chocks on the other side and I think the jack may have called it quits without the chocks!

I think I’m going to keep searching for a sturdier scissor jack. I’m not sure any of the usual suspects on Amazon look any better...almost all of the popular ones have some photos of them failing.

Attachments

• 9DF0B939-FF05-4160-B252-CA5AD7C53571.jpeg
    9DF0B939-FF05-4160-B252-CA5AD7C53571.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: