Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New home under a 2022 Model S

I was using a low profile hydraulic floor jack under the front suspension. I first raised the car suspension to high. I did NOT put in jack mode. Never did on my X and it was always fine. I jacked it up just a couple inches and the car leveled itself. It brought that corner down (or wheel all the way up). Perfect.

Until I let it down. Crunch. The car was so low on that wheel now the under liner was jammed on top of the jack. Damn. So I got out the Porsche Jack to save it. Luckily nothing cracked and just flexed.

Then I went to jack up the rear under the suspension. You can’t. The lower arms end inside the wheel well. Man even the 19” wheels are really wide.

So I use two jacks now under the body. One floor jack and the Porsche jack.

51991358751_cc571b8656_b_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and jebinc
Old thread I know...

I'm in the UK, just received the OEM Porsche jack, looks unused. Question though, where did you:

1. Source the square rubber jack pad - i couldn't work out if it was a generic piece you had simply glued on, once you removed the OEM nub or if it had a bolt and has been bolted through the hole where the nub would have been riveted - any links, Amazon, US etc... greatly appreciated?

2. I also grabbed the 1/2" adapter; on my other scissor jack [non-Porsche] it simply slipped on, however, the Porsche one has a nice ring bearing; did you simply open this up a little to get the adapter to slide on - noticed you didn't tighten it all the way, so that you could rotate it 90 degrees to fit the foam liner - am i correct there?

I plan to use a ratchet adapter on my extendable wrench so that i can keep the weight down further and don't need the extra hand ratchet.

Quality German wrench

21mm 6-point with plastic sleeve to protect alloy

Quality 1/2 ratchet adapter

I did think about one of these to set the correct torque on the road, again less weight than a full torque wrench - anyone have any experience - i read they need re-calibrating, but with what, another torque wrench, but what about re-calibrating that, need another wrench after that - where does it all end! LOL

John.

:cool:

Sorry, I meant to specify Rear Lower Control Arm.
Rear was a little tricky. It has a plastic cover over where I like to lift it. I made a spacer out of PVC trim board to slip between the cover and the bottom of the strut/shock. So that the plastic cover would not crush. It Worked perfect.

On the X it was easy.

On the Refresh S you can’t.

2012 MS P85, #2446

Got two Porsche jacks. $135 for one from junkyard in LA area and $26 (yes, seller wasn't aware of current market value) from private party in Mesa, AZ. Will use one to jack and second as safety backup. Still unsure if I'll use second as pictured or on suspension.

Thank you to this thread for great ideas. Now that I've got these jacks, I'm certain to not have a flat :)

20230204_142353.jpg20230204_142920.jpg20230204_141520.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
2012 MS P85, #2446

Got two Porsche jacks. $135 for one from junkyard in LA area and $26 (yes, seller wasn't aware of current market value) from private party in Mesa, AZ. Will use one to jack and second as safety backup. Still unsure if I'll use second as pictured or on suspension.

Thank you to this thread for great ideas. Now that I've got these jacks, I'm certain to not have a flat :)

View attachment 903394View attachment 903395View attachment 903396
Cool! I've just been using OTC LDJA2, same as mobile service techs, for seasonal swaps. What did you use to saw the nubs down to size? Filing was incredibly slow so I gave up and Dremel might take a while, not to mention limited cut depth.

Cool! I've just been using OTC LDJA2, same as mobile service techs, for seasonal swaps. What did you use to saw the nubs down to size? Filing was incredibly slow so I gave up and Dremel might take a while, not to mention limited cut depth.
Used a hack saw to saw nubs down to size. One cut from top, turn 90 degrees, then second cut took it off. Then took file to round edges. 5 minutes, tops.

Reactions: aisid
Is the Porsche jack even rated to lift the weight of a Model 3?

Original poster claims it's rated for 2200 lbs. An empty Model 3 weighs about 4000 lbs. Rule of thumb is that the jack should be rated for a least 75% of the weight of the vehicle. 75% x 4000 = 3000 lbs. So a 2200 lb jack doesn't seem to be sufficient. Wouldn't the Modern Spare 3000 lb scissor jack be a better choice for the Model 3 and the 4000 lb for other models?

I'm also wondering whether anyone has actually tried jacking up a model 3 with the Porsche jack.