Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to hear - but that means we need 3 more early reservations!

6 would be great but I would be fine with whatever number of reservations you were able to come up with. Just split the original money up from 2-6 to 2-?? Those are still great prizes. Maybe last winner, whether it be 6 or something higher, would just get $1000 towards a new reservation or $1000 cash.

Thanks very much, Cowby! Does that include donating the $1000 deposit (please!)? I'll PM you to follow up.

-Peter

Of course it includes the deposit...it'd be silly otherwise.

@cowboy -- THANK YOU!!! Very kind!!

Thanks,
Alan

welcome....and just so y'all know....i'll probably buy some tickets too....wouldn't it be strange if I ended up wining my own gift?!? lol....I seriously hope not, just the grand prize!...woot!!!

Reactions: Pollux
Of course it includes the deposit...it'd be silly otherwise.

welcome....and just so y'all know....i'll probably buy some tickets too....wouldn't it be strange if I ended up wining my own gift?!? lol....I seriously hope not, just the grand prize!...woot!!!

Er ah uh... @Cowboy, your heart is totally in the right place and it pains me to have to say this: we are not allowing donors to the raffle to purchase raffle tickets. This rule originally applied to the staff, volunteers and board members of Climate XChange, plus their immediate families.

The basic idea is that we want to avoid even the appearance of a conflict-of-interest. It would indeed be unusual were a donor to also win a prize, and could easily give rise to concerns that the raffle was biased. Moreover, there is even an extreme scenario where a donor essentially pays for a Tesla by donating the money and winning it through the raffle, at which point the donor would receive (1) a significant tax deduction for the donation, (2) an amazing car and (3) federal taxes paid on the car. THAT scenario gives rise to concerns of tax evasion and/or money laundering! And my life plan doesn't include taking an all-expenses paid tour of the federal prison system.

Not that it would matter a great deal to you, but we reviewed three different conflict-of-interest standards promulgated by various pieces of Massachusetts state government before concluding how to formulate this rule for the raffle.

So... if you'd like to change your mind on the M3 reservation so that you can buy tickets instead, I'd perfectly understand! The LAST thing we want to do is create an unpleasant surprise for you down the line.

Thanks again,
Alan

Reactions: JenniferQ
Er ah uh... @Cowboy, your heart is totally in the right place and it pains me to have to say this: we are not allowing donors to the raffle to purchase raffle tickets. This rule originally applied to the staff, volunteers and board members of Climate XChange, plus their immediate families.

The basic idea is that we want to avoid even the appearance of a conflict-of-interest. It would indeed be unusual were a donor to also win a prize, and could easily give rise to concerns that the raffle was biased. Moreover, there is even an extreme scenario where a donor essentially pays for a Tesla by donating the money and winning it through the raffle, at which point the donor would receive (1) a significant tax deduction for the donation, (2) an amazing car and (3) federal taxes paid on the car. THAT scenario gives rise to concerns of tax evasion and/or money laundering! And my life plan doesn't include taking an all-expenses paid tour of the federal prison system.

Not that it would matter a great deal to you, but we reviewed three different conflict-of-interest standards promulgated by various pieces of Massachusetts state government before concluding how to formulate this rule for the raffle.

So... if you'd like to change your mind on the M3 reservation so that you can buy tickets instead, I'd perfectly understand! The LAST thing we want to do is create an unpleasant surprise for you down the line.

Thanks again,
Alan

Fair enough, and yes I would want to prevent any appearance of impropriety as well.

Would it be ok if my family were to buy tickets? Or does that exclusion prevents them as well? If it does exclude them, then I'll respectfully decline the donation and use the proceeds to buy even more tickets! Hah!

we are not allowing donors to the raffle to purchase raffle tickets.

Wait for it.....
Next up in Alan's bag of tricks - The Easter Bunny doesn't exist ;)

@Cowby and anyone else that wants to donate a reservation and buy tickets - PM me. I'd be happy to add another corner to Alan's contingency scenarios by circumventing the raffle restrictions with a side deal. What are friends for?
Note to @Pollux (Alan) - You know this post is just going to get buried by the hundreds to follow so there's little real risk in anyone taking me up on the offer, right? :eek:

Wait for it.....

@Cowby and anyone else that wants to donate a reservation and buy tickets - PM me. I'd be happy to add another corner to Alan's contingency scenarios by circumventing the raffle restrictions with a side deal. What are friends for?
Note to @Pollux (Alan) - You know this post is just going to get buried by the hundreds to follow so there's little real risk in anyone taking me up on the offer, right? :eek:

As long as Alan's ok with your scenario, then I'm game! Serve's them right! lol

btw, that's the name of my car!...."Wait for it..." In reference to the many fixes and hopes that it'll one day get be perfect! as well as a nod to Marmaduke!

Fair enough, and yes I would want to prevent any appearance of impropriety as well.

Would it be ok if my family were to buy tickets? Or does that exclusion prevents them as well? If it does exclude them, then I'll respectfully decline the donation and use the proceeds to buy even more tickets! Hah!

My instinct is that the donor's family should be excluded as well BUT I'm going to put this on my list of attorney questions. I happen to have another meeting with him and our executive director tonight, so I might have a clear answer for you tonight or tomorrow. Sorry to drag this out, but obviously the raffle should never sell a ticket it can't honor or put itself in a position where honoring the ticket will create an appearance of impropriety.

Based on how we're treating CXC-related people, we are NOT excluding anyone beyond immediate family; e.g., uncles, aunts, grandparents, grandchildren. Last time, the rules even permitted that a person as young as... maybe 13?... could be the beneficiary of a ticket, with the car being delivered to a legal guardian. I'm not sure we sold even a single ticket on that basis, but I remember looking at some other raffles and reflexively thinking, why 18? why 21? How low can we go?

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. I'm laughing and also touched at the same time... "Hah!"... the "retaliation" is to buy more tickets... :) I appreciate that!

Wait for it.....
Next up in Alan's bag of tricks - The Easter Bunny doesn't exist ;)

I laughed, I cried... :)

But because if I'm going to respond to this post at all, I have to keep in mind the future Special Prosecutor who will be reviewing my emails and social media posts...

Prize awards go only to the names on the tickets, which we will verify by asking for valid photo ID and social security numbers. US citizens only (although dual-citizenship and green card holders are all OK as long as they have a valid SSN and we can make a tax payment to the IRS on their behalf). I'd love to expand to Canada and the EU but am waiting for a magic attorney to appear who loves Canadian, US and/or EU law re commerce, taxation and nonprofits.

Side deals. Sheesh! I need a drink, and it's not even noon. :) :) :)

Alan

Reactions: bonnie
Ok, so had a little discussion of the situation with Bill. I've decided to retract my donation and instead double up on the amount of tickets I was going to purchase. In addition, I'm just going to give the M3 reservation to a family member who wants it. This'll also help me know that someone's actually using it instead of profiting off of it. My apologies to you fine sirs.

Ok, so had a little discussion of the situation with Bill. I've decided to retract my donation and instead double up on the amount of tickets I was going to purchase. In addition, I'm just going to give the M3 reservation to a family member who wants it. This'll also help me know that someone's actually using it instead of profiting off of it. My apologies to you fine sirs.

No apology needed and certainly none sought! Sounds like a fine plan in general, and certainly from *my* selfish perspective.

Thank you for your willingness to put money into the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle!

Alan