Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @wdolson,

YES you can definitely kick in extra if you want. I think in that scenario neither you nor CXC would owe anything extra, because it's you putting in your own money rather than an increase in the size of the win/gift, but of course we'd all want to check with our various lawyers and accountants to make sure of that. Bottom line for CXC would be that CXC only pays the taxes as outlined in the raffle details; we will not be doing any extra tax payments to account for anything extra you want to add to the car configuration, if it were somehow to turn out that extra taxes were required (ick).

One thing I didn't see in the legalese, if the winner wants to order something more than the $103K allocated, I assume they would just pay the difference themselves? Just wanted to clarify.

Hi, @wdolson,

YES you can definitely kick in extra if you want. I think in that scenario neither you nor CXC would owe anything extra, because it's you putting in your own money rather than an increase in the size of the win/gift, but of course we'd all want to check with our various lawyers and accountants to make sure of that. Bottom line for CXC would be that CXC only pays the taxes as outlined in the raffle details; we will not be doing any extra tax payments to account for anything extra you want to add to the car configuration, if it were somehow to turn out that extra taxes were required (ick).

I doubt any extra taxes would be owed because the winner would be contributing money they already paid taxes on through their income. I can also consult my SO who is a lawyer, though she doesn't do tax law, she is one of the best legal researchers around.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Oh, I agree with you. But I am not a lawyer, so no one should treat my word as gospel. :) That said, I definitely spent a lot of energy mapping out all the parameters with our raffle attorney, and we worked through the possibility that someone would kick in extra beyond what CXC contributes. And it looks fine, at least that's what we think.

I doubt any extra taxes would be owed because the winner would be contributing money they already paid taxes on through their income. I can also consult my SO who is a lawyer, though she doesn't do tax law, she is one of the best legal researchers around.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Hi, @Twiglett, @gjunky!

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Climate XChange and also in our raffle!

Kinda randomly, here's a picture that is somewhat relevant. This is MA State Senator Mike Barrett, who is sponsoring the carbon-fee-and-rebate bill here in MA (Senate Bill 1747), and who had the "privilege" of holding the giant raffle ticket poster board for me when we announced the raffle as part of a larger event at our home on September 26.

Haynes-IMG_2780.jpg

Hi, @brucet999,

Obviously, I have that data but at this point am choosing not to disclose it. I may put it out there much later, e.g., in late November or early December. No promises, though.

Also, if/when I do publish that information, I'll do it on the raffle website itself, so that everybody can see it at the same time. It doesn't seem fair to me to disclose that kind of information in only one forum, and there are too many places now where people are discussing this thing for me to keep track.

Ask me a different question... hopefully you can see from this thread that I'm happy to engage/respond.

Thanks,
Alan

Does anyone know how many tickets sold so far?

Hi, @brucet999,

Obviously, I have that data but at this point am choosing not to disclose it. I may put it out there much later, e.g., in late November or early December. No promises, though.

Also, if/when I do publish that information, I'll do it on the raffle website itself, so that everybody can see it at the same time. It doesn't seem fair to me to disclose that kind of information in only one forum, and there are too many places now where people are discussing this thing for me to keep track.

Ask me a different question... hopefully you can see from this thread that I'm happy to engage/respond.

Thanks,
Alan

OK, do we know yet that there will be enough tickets sold for the Tesla prize to be awarded to someone?.

Hi, @brucet999,

We are not there yet (867 ticket minimum). We've only been selling for 16 days out of 93 and we would be astonishingly ahead of plan to hit that number at this point.

That said, two points for you to consider. (1) We are planning and executing to sell 2,000 tickets total. That is where we are able to both offer an unusually generous package of prizes AND still net maximum money for the organization. When I make projections and track progress against plan, I am doing that against 2,000 tickets. The 867 ticket minimum (just like some other milestones that may be visible in the raffle website text and may already have been passed), has no planning value for me. Anybody considering a ticket purchase should assume that 2,000 tickets will be sold when considering the odds. If fewer than 2,000 are sold, then the odds will only get better. But, again, we're targeting 2,000. (2) The raffle doesn't succeed if it doesn't make the Grand Prize available. We are highly motivated.

I am comfortable repeating these points in this forum because I believe that they are also clearly made in the raffle website text, where everyone can read them.

Oh... and I won't be answering this question again on a daily or even weekly basis. No ticket sales tracking by inference. :)

Alan

OK, do we know yet that there will be enough tickets sold for the Tesla prize to be awarded to someone?.

Love it! Thanks!

Alan

P.S. We have a plan that my wife, who is President of the Board of Climate XChange, will be present for the delivery of the Grand Prize here in Massachusetts or otherwise wherever the winner is elsewhere in the USA. I think I'm going to have to fight her on the whole issue of the Grand Prize getting delivered in Hawaii... somehow, that seems like a job for *ME*! :)

P.P.S. I'm thinking your sig needs to expand a little... "biding your time until the CPO... OR you win the raffle!" :) :) :)

I'm in! Great raffle and a great cause. And the drawing is on my birthday! Hoping for the absolute best birthday present in history!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, THAT is funny! I'm gonna hafta tell my wife and the other Climate XChangers. :)

Even though you're not interested in the perfect Tesla waffle, should you come across a recipe for same, please do share it with the rest of us! :)

Alan

I did not click on this thread until today because I had previously misread the title and was not interested by a discussion about the recipe of the perfect Tesla waffle.

@boofagle, I like the cut of your jib!

But at this point, I'm consumed by the mechanics of this one. I'm not going to think about anything beyond that until I've put someone into a Tesla S or X, the check has been mailed into the IRS, and the Grand Prize has been fully delivered and all the other 5 prizes, too. THEN I'm going to take a breather. THEN maybe I'll think of next steps. :)

Alan,

This sounds like it's going to be really successful for you guys. Have you given any thought of doing more "perfect Tesla raffles" in the future?